Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to drop the last 3-5 lbs and I have an idea...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was concerned by this comment:

"fighting to stay out of menopause"

You can 'fight' all you want, but menopause is a natural part of life, and your body will process you through it whenever it's ready. I'm amazed that you think you can control this.

I was also glad to read that some of you can't deal with the 'high fat' movement which is taking over everywhere. I do best with protein, low carb, and whatever fat is in my wild salmon and grass-fed bison. I will use olive oil and/or butter lightly to make an omelet or season veggies, but that's it. I've tried high fat, and I feel best NOT eating fat at that level.

I read somewhere that 'senior' women do better with moderate fat (I'm 71) so that may be why I prefer my protein-rich diet. I think we all need to find our own best balance and beware of trying to fit ourselves into what works best for someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by emmie View Post
      I was concerned by this comment:

"fighting to stay out of menopause"

You can 'fight' all you want, but menopause is a natural part of life, and your body will process you through it whenever it's ready. I'm amazed that you think you can control this.
      That was a bit tongue in cheek; my fighting menopause comment. I have not been happy to see my periods get spotty and few and far between over the past year. I'm not ready to let my fertility go, and too young to be a grandmother! HOWEVER, I have had a period each of the 3 months I've been eating Primally. That has not happened in over a year. I think that is very interesting.
      sigpic
      Age 48
      Start date: 7-5-12
      5'3"
      121lbs
      GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
      Henri Frederic Amiel

Comment

yes, definitely cut out the chocolate and the nuts. and the raisins. and the big giant bowls of carby squash!!

if meat's not your thing (i go in phases), eat more eggs and fish like salmon and sardines.

am quite sure nobody looks at you and thinks, "WOW -- she really needs to lose 3 pounds. what a whale!!" ya know? but i understand that you need it for you. it may just be more a matter of patience and body recomp, vs. a number on the scale. i will be 49 in a few days and very little inside me works like it used to.
        As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

and yeah for a puppy!!!
          As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
            Also, the scale doesn't represent what you ate yesterday. So, let's say you overate five days ago. You breathe a sigh of relief that it doesn't show up on the scale the next morning. You go back to eating the way you need to in order to lose weight, only to see a slight increase in your weight. But that increase is from what happened five days ago.
            ^ THIS! Definitely...usually it's at least 2 days before my "bad" decision catches up to my scale...which usually means you CONTINUE those bad nibbles because the scale isnt immediately moving....spiral.

I LOVE fat...so, loving the MOAR fat movement! Agree with the no nuts and no chocolate though---I did BOTH of these and the scale started to move for me!

And you mention menopause...your hormones play greatly into your weight as well IMO. Both chocolate and nuts are more "estrogenic" foods I believe.
            Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
            http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

I realise that for most this seems to be a weight loss forum, but have you considered that perhaps your body 'thinks' you are at your optimal weight right now?

Maybe your body is resisting your attempts at further weight loss because it wouldn't result in a healthier you?
              Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
              5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
              Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
              TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
              bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Wanna try something cool, that works? Eat only potatoes or rice for 10 days. You will lose close to 1 pound a day while refilling your glycogen stores. Eat as much as you want, but you'll be lucky to eat 1000 calories worth. No other foods allowed. Salt, vinegar, spices, hot sauce, little ketchup OK. Butter - no, Olive oil - no.

I am just coming off a 10 day potato feed. I ate 25lbs in 10 days. You can fry them, boil them, roast, bake, or steam... Incredibly filling and once you get past the initial shock of 'how can I just eat potatoes for 10 days' phase, you will start to enjoy it. Hunger goes away.

The nutritional profile of white potatoes especially is very unique. They contain not only carbs but fat and protein as well. The protein comes from a full amino-acid spectrum.

Upon completion, you will have done several things. Refilled muscle/organ/brain glycogen with a clean carb source, enhanced gut micro-flora structure, increased leptin and glucose sensitivity, learned to eat only when truly hungry, and have time to reflect on why and what you eat.

Try it. You will see weight loss by day 2 guaranteed. No fats! No cheats!
                Last edited by otzi; 09-27-2012, 04:49 PM.

Comment

I'm at the same spot, just 2kg to lose. I've tried upping the carbs, all that did was result in me needing to eat more and I put on a bit of weight. So I've had a mindset change instead. I no longer need a flat tummy (the muscles underneath are pretty darned firm), I appreciate the slight bulge and even find it slightly sexy. Doesn't hurt that even after 4 babies, my tummy is still very smooth just like it was when I was in my 20s

I agree no one will be thinking you're overweight, except you People would tell me I was ill if I did lose that last bit, cos I look perfect now, with clothes on.

Comment

Wanna try something cool, that works? Eat only potatoes or rice for 10 days. You will lose close to 1 pound a day while refilling your glycogen stores. Eat as much as you want, but you'll be lucky to eat 1000 calories worth. No other foods allowed. Salt, vinegar, spices, hot sauce, little ketchup OK. Butter - no, Olive oil - no.

I am just coming off a 10 day potato feed. I ate 25lbs in 10 days. You can fry them, boil them, roast, bake, or steam... Incredibly filling and once you get past the initial shock of 'how can I just eat potatoes for 10 days' phase, you will start to enjoy it. Hunger goes away.
                    maybe i will try this when i harvest my potatoes this autumn. i am 1/4 irish so it can be an experiment. my potatoes are all very old varieties so very different to the modern white ones tho. i do have a question. how can you fry potatoes if you cant have oil or butter?

Comment

that sounds absolutely horrible, a 100% carbohydrate diet. youd be better off doing it with butter
                      Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
                      Before and after pics
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
                      Primal Sucess Story
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
                      Primal Journal
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Comment

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
                        I realise that for most this seems to be a weight loss forum, but have you considered that perhaps your body 'thinks' you are at your optimal weight right now?

Maybe your body is resisting your attempts at further weight loss because it wouldn't result in a healthier you?
                        I certainly don't think I am overweight. I would like to get this belly fat off, though. It is new. I don't believe that to be optimal by any means.

I felt better a few pound lighter. Not just that my clothes fit better, but my body felt better. Less visceral fat around my belly.

I think if I ate normal meals every day... and didn't binge or pig out... I would be my optimal weight. Looking at my journal and being honest about my intake, I am really inconsistent. Eating far more chocolate than I was willing to admit and my journalling of nut butter eating probably didn't include the fact I ate 1/4 c of the stuff!

Little reality check I'm having today.
                        sigpic
                        Age 48
                        Start date: 7-5-12
                        5'3"
                        121lbs
                        GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
                        Henri Frederic Amiel

Comment

I'm in the same boat right now. I'm not overweight but still have fairly significant amounts of stored body fat from obesity. After all my experiments and research, I've come to the conclusion that IF is the only way I'm going to get to the body fat % I want. 16hr fast/8 feed most every day. Somedays it's 20/4 or 18/6. The key is cardio while your doing IF and caffeine is a huge boost as well. I'm doing all of my training fasted now and my performance is through the roof. I don't eat for at least an hour afterwards. I did all that leptin reefed bullshit and that's a load of garbage. Carbohydrates are rapidly converted to body fat, so it actually works the other way. And as far as the 100% potato diet. They've done studies where people were on a 100% carbohydrate diet as well as being in a caloric deficit as low as starving levels. Amazingly they still gained weight
                          Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
                          Before and after pics
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
                          Primal Sucess Story
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
                          Primal Journal
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Comment

I totally got the "fighting menopause" statement. Who wants to think they are old? I swear to you that on the inside I'm the same exact person I was at age 17. How can all those years have gone by? I'm the same person! And these days, I actually feel 17, when at age 17 I hardly felt so young and healthy. But the lack of a period is the most wonderful thing in the whole world. I'm so glad I had a hysterectomy when I was 39. Kept the ovaries so I'm still a normal woman, but I don't have to fight my period anymore thank god!!

P.S. I never had children but my little sister did and as soon as she's a grandmother I'm going to laugh my freaking head off at her and tease her until she cries. Ha! Take that you botoxed, cosmetic surgeried, electrolysis hair-removed, skinny chick who always got the boys when we were younger. I win! (I'm not really that mean or that jealous. I'm just kidding.)
                            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

[QUOTE=sbhikes;964412] But then look at how amazing she looks and how mediocre I look. QUOTE]
                              yes paleobird does look amazing - but so do you !!!!!! You have made huge inroads, so no more of this negetive shit...OK....GOOD !
                              and therein endith thisith lesson..ith
                              G
                              "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

Originally posted by BennettC View Post
                                I'm in the same boat right now. I'm not overweight but still have fairly significant amounts of stored body fat from obesity. After all my experiments and research, I've come to the conclusion that IF is the only way I'm going to get to the body fat % I want. 16hr fast/8 feed most every day. Somedays it's 20/4 or 18/6. The key is cardio while your doing IF and caffeine is a huge boost as well. I'm doing all of my training fasted now and my performance is through the roof. I don't eat for at least an hour afterwards. I did all that leptin reefed bullshit and that's a load of garbage. Carbohydrates are rapidly converted to body fat, so it actually works the other way. And as far as the 100% potato diet. They've done studies where people were on a 100% carbohydrate diet as well as being in a caloric deficit as low as starving levels. Amazingly they still gained weight
                                Go to FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal, or any other nutrient calculator, and type in 'potato'. You'll quickly see that potatoes are not 100% carb. You would be the perfect guy to try this and report back. I can GUARANTEE you will lose weight eating potatoes as long as you eat no other source of protein or fat. Plan on doing 10 days, if you don't lose weight--which will be pure fat--by day 2, then stop, post that it didn't work, and I'll never mention it again. It works. Has to do with gut flora and the fact you are a fat-burner. With no fat intake and a clean starch which has it's own complete amino acid and fat source built-in, your body is instantly forced to burn it's own fat.

This is a perfect hack to use once or twice a year. If you gain 5-10lbs, do this potato-reset, and it will melt away. I'm not BS'ing. Try it.

Comment

Working...
                                X