What Causes the "Pear" Shape in Men?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Causes the "Pear" Shape in Men?

By "pear" I mean the gradual outward curve from the sternum down to the belly.

I know that some could be fat of course, and certainly at the bottom of this curve (around the the waist) it really is just belly fat, but fat does not seem to be entirely responsible for this as I can feel the muscles right below the skin around the solar plexus.

Is this an abdominal strength thing?

How's your posture?
    Depression Lies

Comment

Not too dreadful, but I've got a lot of shoulder/neck issues, sometimes upper spine issues etc. I am certainly not as "shoulders back" as I could be but it's really not too bad. I've done a lot of yoga work over the last year to correct it.

Doesn't seem to be directly posture related as this shape is just what happens when I relax when standing...

Comment

Internal visceral fat.

Very bad fat to have...
        Last edited by cori93437; 09-26-2012, 10:05 AM.
        “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
        ~Friedrich Nietzsche
        And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Low testosterone levels? Just a guess... I read that somewhere before. Along with high testosterone levels in women can cause the apple shape.

Comment

men tend to accumulate fat in the spear tire region. much of it visceral fat, sad to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Chorlton View Post
              By "pear" I mean the gradual outward curve from the sternum down to the belly.

I know that some could be fat of course, and certainly at the bottom of this curve (around the the waist) it really is just belly fat, but fat does not seem to be entirely responsible for this as I can feel the muscles right below the skin around the solar plexus.

Is this an abdominal strength thing?
              That would actually be the apple shape. The pear shape is when the fat concentrates around hips and thighs. The apple shape is bad. The fat under the muscle is worse than the fat right under the skin. You could be courting metabolic syndrome, if not now, sometime in your future, if you don't nip it in the bud now.
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Photo

Scary stuff guys...

Much to my kids amusement I am posting this pic so you can see what I mean. It's my "before" pick from 2wks ago..

BigBelly.jpg

Comment

I agree, it sounds like visceral fat. Not good at all.
                  “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Scary stuff guys...

Much to my kids amusement I am posting this pic so you can see what I mean. It's my "before" pick from 2wks ago..

[ATTACH]9337[/ATTACH]
                    In order to post pictures here it's best to use a host site such as photobucket or something like that...
                    It can take a while (sometimes a LONG while) for the mods to approve photos simply attached.
                    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Right! Here you go...

http://www.friiswilson.com/sites/fri...s/BigBelly.jpg

Comment

That looks like the bad kind of fat. You will probably benefit just fine on the primal blueprint diet just as is and probably pretty quickly.

You could also try a test to determine your individual level of carbohydrate intolerance, so you know whether or not you need to worry about the carb curve or not. There are a number of people in the forum who think the carb curve is bad. But it might just be what you need. This web page suggests determining your need before you go to all the trouble of cutting carbs:

Phil Maffetone, www.philmaffetone.com - 2 Week Test

Comment

Hi sbhikes, I've cut carbs plenty already. I just stopped tracking but Im definitely somwhere around the 100g mark. Im eating mostly eggs, chicken, fish and low carb veggies (though i have started to allow things like peas that are not strictly primal). I also eat a lot of full fat yogurt (with a bit of honey on top) and coconut fat by the tbsp! Oh, and almonds!

I imagine my lifelong crazy sweet tooth has caused this problem. I am eating absolutely zero sugar on a daily basis though, though I did allow myself some dark chocololate over the weekend which probably pushed the carbs up over 100g.

Is this okay you think? Obviously Im a bit worried about this now...

Comment

Don't worry. You have started and now there is a chance to reverse it. Besides stress is bad too. Be happy you know what to do.
                            Keep doing what you are doing. For me, I went totally by what Mark said to do for weightloss and to convert my body from a sugar burner to a fat burner. I ate no sugar, not even honey or chocolate, for at least two months (and kept carbs to 50grams or less), before I added them back very occaisionally.
                            Female, age 51, 5' 9"
                            SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
                            2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

Hi sbhikes, I've cut carbs plenty already. I just stopped tracking but Im definitely somwhere around the 100g mark. Im eating mostly eggs, chicken, fish and low carb veggies (though i have started to allow things like peas that are not strictly primal). I also eat a lot of full fat yogurt (with a bit of honey on top) and coconut fat by the tbsp! Oh, and almonds!

I imagine my lifelong crazy sweet tooth has caused this problem. I am eating absolutely zero sugar on a daily basis though, though I did allow myself some dark chocololate over the weekend which probably pushed the carbs up over 100g.

Is this okay you think? Obviously Im a bit worried about this now...
                              Give it time. By the way, do you drink a lot of beer? Could be a beer belly, too. In any case, it takes time to lose real weight. You'll get there. But watch the overeating. Coconut fat by the tbsp isn't necessary and almond binges aren't going to help you. Have some red meat and eat bigger meals of real meat and veggies slathered in butter so you don't have to snack on relatively nutrient-poor stuff like coconut oil by the spoonful and almonds and yogurt.

Comment

Working...
                              X