Stubborn people and refusing to fix health problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SarahW View Post
    I think a small amount of juicing can be okay for people with severe auto-immune and leaky-gut issues, which is what Phil and Joe (the guys in FSND) had. Why? I read the FSND forums, and everyone was like "what about fiber?!?" But then when people share TMI a lot of them are still crapping great amounts. After reading Gut Sense a few days ago about how some people have an incredible backlog in their intestines from eating way too much fiber and other crappy processed foods, and how a lot of people have damaged their guts, I think an almost-no-volume eating plan for a short amount of time could be helpful. The body stores enough b12 and other nutrients to tide the person over until they start eating easily-digested fats and build out from there. I know Gut Sense has supplements to solve this whole thing, but I am much more in favor of solving digestion issues with actual food.
    why not do it with bone broths then? a bit of butter or coconut oil in there et voila. low-volume, zero-sugar.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I'm in a similar situation with my MIL, except her problem is fibromyalgia. I have pointed her to countless articles and books that illustrate how this lifestyle can eliminate her pain. She tried primal - for like 2 or maybe 3 months. I don't really think it was that long, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt. Anyhow, recently, I noticed she's been eating CW foods again, so i sent her a link that was all about how Paleo is the answer to fibromyalgia. It was even written by an MD. She sent me a message saying "I know what foods do and don't bother me. I've been researching fibro for 3 years. I think I deserve some credit for that." I simply said "Ok... well, disregard. Just thought I'd share what I'd stumbled upon".

while eating Primal, her symptoms did subside, but I don't think they subsided enough for her liking, like she expected to magically be cured overnight b/c she ate a steak instead of spaghetti. To get off of her prescription meds, she turned to pot... cheaper I'm sure, probably more "primal", but totally turns me off. I lost a lot of respect for her when that came into play b/c I'm zero tolerance when it comes to illegal drugs and currently, in Iowa, it's still illegal, even for medicinal purposes.

So, I gave up with her. I don't feel her pain so I isn't a problem to me if she chooses to eat crap foods.

I have a runner friend who wants to drop those last 10-15 lbs b/c she thinks it'll shave an extra 20 seconds off her mile pace. Sure, probably would... she asked me what I've been doing b/c I lost 37 lbs doing next to nothing while she runs and runs and runs and runs and....... She seemed interested at first, then quickly backed off saying she's a long distance runner and needs her pasta... sure. Ok. In the meantime, she's eating Nutrisystem cardboard while I'm eating steak and veggies for lunch. "How's that cardboard?", I always want to ask.

My husband is doing better. He's 6'1" 320 lbs. He was losing weight and stopped. Since he's stopped, he's back on the sugar rushes all the time. Ice cream every night, cookies for snacks (gluten free since I am transitioning my son and now MIL only makes gluten free cookies so son can have some - DH is making the gf thing difficult when I'm not around by providing foods with gluten), etc. He eats primal/paleo meals, but still consumes lots of junk so his weight loss is non-existent.

SOMEDAY, when they see how young and vibrant and amazing we have become, they will either become envious and join us or they'll continue down their destructive paths. In the meantime, bump up the life insurance policies and keep the health insurance paid up.
      Last edited by jenn26point2; 09-27-2012, 01:00 PM.
      Primal since March 5, 2012
      SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

Oh, couple more examples. A girlfriend is 31 weeks pregnant. Learned she's got gestational diabetes. I know she's relatively open-minded about food and how it affects us b/c her son is autistic and she's recently changed his diet to more closely match the GAPS diet and he has shown significant improvement in his cognitive ability and his ability to socialize and ask for help. I suggested to her that she give up ALL grains, starchy carbs, etc, for the duration of her pregnancy to avoid taking insulin... giving up pasta for someone whose middle name is, according to her, Pasta, is unheard of... ok. enjoy those injections... In the very least, please stop feeding your autistic son canola oil!!

And now the last example has escaped me... lol

Comment

this is from another thread, but it's perhaps one of my favorite MDA forum quotes, and it applies directly to some of the friends/family from this thread :-D

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
          People do the same thing to me. They ask, I tell them, and they're sure it would never work for them. It doesn't seem to ultimately matter how the information is presented. Next time I think it'll go like this:

Well, I went to mount Olympus and duct taped two unicorns together to double their magic, and rode their magic bodies for forty days and forty nights. When I got off, I looked like this. It's great!

Comment

While my family is not quite as nasty as yours is about it they do tend to be negative about the whole thing. I don't get it. The hardest thing to me is having to cook and not eat out. My sister has three kids and just a crazy schedule. I have offered repeatedly to help her clean out the pantry and go shopping and cook. There is always an excuse. My youngest niece has all kinds of allergies and can't eat dairy or nuts and only limited eggs. Even with all of this out of her diet she still has horrible eczema. My sister will not even entertain the idea that it could be food related. Makes me nuts! I have had to just shut up and let it happen and pray that the kids will get it someday.
            You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
            height 5'3
            SW 215 lbs
            CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
            LW 172 lbs
            GW 125ish lbs

Comment

I offered to bring a friend meals for a week, so she could try. Nope. I'm still hopeful, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                I offered to bring a friend meals for a week, so she could try. Nope. I'm still hopeful, though.
                That says a LOT about someone's desires to actually make a change. I entertained the idea of going paleo for a long time before I did it. I finally reached a point of desperation when nothing else was working to lose the weight. I took the plunge and so many other wonderful things happened as a result (no more antidepressants, sciatic pain was greatly reduced, lost 37 lbs). Sadly, the only thing people see is how much weight I've lost, and not even that is enough for people to try it out b/c it's "sooooo restrictive". Um, no it's not, but ok...

Comment

The saga continues, I will purchase the gaps book for them, but I don't think it will help I tried explaining to them that grains are not as necessary and helpful as they are made out to be. Now my parents harp on me about my grocery list and insist that I need bread and grains, I have lost a bit of weight and they say it's not because of my decreased calories or exercise(I just don't have flash cravings and binges like I used to), they say it's because without grains my body is not absorbing food and that is why I have lost weight. They say I am "killing myself" and "becoming anorexic", and that if I keep it up I will need an eating disorder clinic. I know this is BS, my skin is clearer and softer, my hair is finally gaining density and less is falling out, I am 2 sizes smaller, I sleep better, and I recover from colds more quickly. The real kicker is this: my sister is overweight, and she now feels bad because I weigh less and I am taller, so mom and dad think I should consider the feelings of others, because my improved health makes them feel bad. I give up, I am not going to bother anymore. This backlash has been going on since june, I am not going to argue with them anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by SarahW View Post
                    People are addicted to the carbs.

Funny, when my husband convinced me to do the FSND reboot (juicing) everyone we knew was supportive, "oh yeah, good idea, so healthy, I should do that again myself." But when we switched primal everyone was suddenly "what? oh no, I could never give up pasta! that's crazy!" It was almost a visceral reaction, like if we told them we were becoming cannibals. So, drinking nothing but kale juice for days on end is acceptable, but just cutting out grains is crazy? WTF?
                    This is true. You see it all the time. They will do portions..."I can have one slice of pizza on Weight Watchers for X points"... or a 1/4 cup of pasta. I find it insane.
                    I also see it with other things, like TV, people think they cannot live without TV, hence they get these constant messages on how to eat.
                    It is also amazing how people just won't cut out the grains with GI problems. I suggested it to my sister who has problems, and she went silent. I said, "Try it for 2 weeks.." so she could see if it helps her. Too much trouble. I guess when people get desperate, they will seek out help and stop thinking so in the box.

Comment

Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                      I'm in a similar situation with my MIL, except her problem is fibromyalgia. I have pointed her to countless articles and books that illustrate how this lifestyle can eliminate her pain. She tried primal - for like 2 or maybe 3 months. I don't really think it was that long, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt. Anyhow, recently, I noticed she's been eating CW foods again, so i sent her a link that was all about how Paleo is the answer to fibromyalgia. It was even written by an MD. She sent me a message saying "I know what foods do and don't bother me. I've been researching fibro for 3 years. I think I deserve some credit for that." I simply said "Ok... well, disregard. Just thought I'd share what I'd stumbled upon".

while eating Primal, her symptoms did subside, but I don't think they subsided enough for her liking, like she expected to magically be cured overnight b/c she ate a steak instead of spaghetti. To get off of her prescription meds, she turned to pot... cheaper I'm sure, probably more "primal", but totally turns me off. I lost a lot of respect for her when that came into play b/c I'm zero tolerance when it comes to illegal drugs and currently, in Iowa, it's still illegal, even for medicinal purposes.

So, I gave up with her. I don't feel her pain so I isn't a problem to me if she chooses to eat crap foods.

I have a runner friend who wants to drop those last 10-15 lbs b/c she thinks it'll shave an extra 20 seconds off her mile pace. Sure, probably would... she asked me what I've been doing b/c I lost 37 lbs doing next to nothing while she runs and runs and runs and runs and....... She seemed interested at first, then quickly backed off saying she's a long distance runner and needs her pasta... sure. Ok. In the meantime, she's eating Nutrisystem cardboard while I'm eating steak and veggies for lunch. "How's that cardboard?", I always want to ask.

My husband is doing better. He's 6'1" 320 lbs. He was losing weight and stopped. Since he's stopped, he's back on the sugar rushes all the time. Ice cream every night, cookies for snacks (gluten free since I am transitioning my son and now MIL only makes gluten free cookies so son can have some - DH is making the gf thing difficult when I'm not around by providing foods with gluten), etc. He eats primal/paleo meals, but still consumes lots of junk so his weight loss is non-existent.

SOMEDAY, when they see how young and vibrant and amazing we have become, they will either become envious and join us or they'll continue down their destructive paths. In the meantime, bump up the life insurance policies and keep the health insurance paid up.

I notice that women who have Fibromyalgia have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and they obsess about it. So they go to doctors who give them pain killers, etc.

I've had friends and family think I am crazy for eating like I do...they think I am going to give myself a heart attack. I remember when my grandfather's heart was a problem, and they put him on some Pritikin-ish diet with no meat, lots of pasta, no fats, and I felt so sorry for him. It didn't save him. He really missed his meat.

Comment

RachelW: are you out on your own, or do you live with family?

Because my family has no clue what is on our grocery list. Thus, they don't complain about it.

But, when they visit, they do complain about it. Not so much to us -- we look fit and healthy and we are fit and healthy so obviously it works -- but then when they have to do it. My parents ate primal PLUS cookies, cakes, and diet coke throughout the whole trip and gained weight (no duh), and complained that the diet "didn't have enough carbs." SO they had to eat those cookies and cakes!

My ILs are . . . I dunno. . . judgmental. If their friends aren't doing it, it's wrong/bad, so it doesn't matter what we do. DH and I have decided not to talk about it AND not to do primal for them (in their meals when they visit). We are doing an IF protocol which we plan to continue for the next 3-6 months to see how it rolls out.

For most of the holiday, breakfast will be on their own at the hostel, and we'll be meeting them after. DH will provide them with instant oatmeal packets and cereal and milk -- as to their preference. We will have lunch together, which will be salads and veg, eggs and/or chicken, and fruit. We will also have dinner together which will be fish or red meat and veg, but DH is going to provide bread and butter for his parents.

The only rough patches will be when we are all together. We are going to a bach (holiday home) for 4 days and will all be together. This means that they will observe us not eating breakfast. DS will of course have his usual, massive breakfast -- i'm sure they'll be critical of that, too. LOL But, we'll still provide them with lunch/dinner that isn't primal.

The way I see it is that the holiday is the wrong time to try and convert someone. My aunt wasn't fussy at all, but I'd forgotten who my parents were. I know my ILs, which means we need to keep things as comfortable for them as humanly possible.

And, the reality is that the carb flu plus holidays isn't great. so to push someone to that place isn't a great idea. Thus, we avoid it at all costs.

I'm happy doing what I'm doing. I don't need to convert anyone OR explain myself to anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by RachelW View Post
                          The saga continues, I will purchase the gaps book for them, but I don't think it will help I tried explaining to them that grains are not as necessary and helpful as they are made out to be. Now my parents harp on me about my grocery list and insist that I need bread and grains, I have lost a bit of weight and they say it's not because of my decreased calories or exercise(I just don't have flash cravings and binges like I used to), they say it's because without grains my body is not absorbing food and that is why I have lost weight. They say I am "killing myself" and "becoming anorexic", and that if I keep it up I will need an eating disorder clinic. I know this is BS, my skin is clearer and softer, my hair is finally gaining density and less is falling out, I am 2 sizes smaller, I sleep better, and I recover from colds more quickly. The real kicker is this: my sister is overweight, and she now feels bad because I weigh less and I am taller, so mom and dad think I should consider the feelings of others, because my improved health makes them feel bad. I give up, I am not going to bother anymore. This backlash has been going on since june, I am not going to argue with them anymore.
                          Wow that line got me....they have serious issues. I know they are family but wishing for you to be unhealthy is bordering on abuse.
                          Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                          PS
                          Don't forget to play!

Comment

Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
                            Wow that line got me....they have serious issues. I know they are family but wishing for you to be unhealthy is bordering on abuse.
                            Exactly what Dirlot said - SERIOUSLY.

Comment

It makes me stabby when people think primal is somehow extreme. Last night I ate london broil with chimmachurri sauce, roasted squash and a salad. What exactly is so far out of good eating about that meal? The night before, I had a steak salad. The night before that was chicken with sweet potatoe and sugar snap peas.

Why is that unhealthy, yet sugar free, fat free yogurt with chemicals is? Or "whole grain cereal" with a bazillion ingredients? Or people that fast food 3 meals a day? It's like holy crap- meat, veggies and fruit- you're going to DIE from malnutrition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like somehow a Value meal with a burger, fries, and soda is somehow more rounded because there is a bun. Filled with HFCS. Or a Lean Cuisine with 6,758 ingredients, 2 recognizable pieces of vegetable, questionable meat is somehow better because it includes a cup of rice?

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                              Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

The fucked up thing is that I can promise you I was a grain and sugar addict to nth degree and resisted giving them up and was in denial.... and once they were gone, all the sudden it was good. I never, EVER feel deprived. I never even think, "boy, I want some bread". As a vegetarian, holy crap, I DREAMED of meat.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                                Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Working...
                                X