Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paleo Diet: Healthy Or A Hoax?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I'll admit, eating bacon has totally ruined my social life.


    *snort*

    Comment


    • #17
      *Facepalm* I hate the old "diets that eliminate an ENTIRE FOOD GROUP!" are baaaaaad thing... Why is something a "food group" anyway? Because someone, somewhere said, "THIS is a food group! And ALL food groups are necessary!". Now I admit to eating some dairy, but anyone with half a brain can surely see that dairy isn't really a natural "food group" for adult humans. I'm not saying no one should eat dairy, but I AM saying that pretending that it's somehow NECESSARY for our existence is wrong.

      And as for grains... pah... the other day, for the first time in a couple of months I ate pizza (I've been eating and loving meatza but have not had pizza)... and what happened REALLY clued me in that grains are NOT a thing I should eat. For starters I ate A LOT. Yes LOTS. And after I finished eating and went home I was stuffed uncomfortably full. And yet... my daughter had some leftover pasta she brought home with her... and for some reason... I WANTED it. So I ended up eating some of her spaghetti too. And this is when I was already uncomfortably full! After the pasta I could barely move, and I couldn't go to bed for ages because I was just too full. And yet, when I'm eating primal I can eat a reasonable sized portion of food and feel completely satisfied, and then not crave anything for hours afterwards. I'll feel hunger pangs before I'll feel any cravings. What I had that night was a CRAVING... and it illustrated exactly WHY I'm fat after eating what is generally considered a "healthy CW" diet. Because, quite simply, I'll want to EAT when I don't need to.

      I have never found any way of eating as easy as primal, and I think it's because I AM satisfied and I DON'T crave anymore. I mean, I may feel like I want to eat something in particular, but I'm not driven to shove something in my mouth despite already having eaten more than enough.

      Errm... and I'm not lacking for "pleasure" either on this diet. When I was struggling to lose weight following CW I was depriving myself of pleasure ALL THE FREAKING TIME and I was NOT successfully losing weight. (In fact, the only time I managed to lose any weight in the old days was when I took diet pills... Phentermine worked nicely...except I could hardly sleep...). And the point is when I was trying to eat this way, as soon as I "went off the rails" I found it EXTREMELY hard to get back on the diet. When I've gone off primal (eating a treat or something) I've been able to resume where I went off without any hardship at all. To me that is the indicator of an eating plan that TRULY works. It's one you can stick with and get back to with ease!

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
        I don't recall paleo advising to forgo the salt? smh
        Cordain's original book did. That was a dark time for me.

        Comment


        • #19
          I know what you mean Iron Fireling. Back when I ate grains I was hungry ALL THE TIME. I'd eat a huge meal and a half hour later was eating again. For now, I'm going to keep depriving myself by eliminating an entire food group and instead have a steak wrapped in bacon with a pad of butter and a fried egg on top. And then I'm going to sleep like a baby for 8 solid hours and wake up refreshed. Deprived. Please.
          Last edited by Mr. Koozie; 09-20-2012, 07:34 PM. Reason: Forgot a word. Also...this is my 100th post!
          “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

          Comment


          • #20
            The Paleo Diet is a hoax. Step away from the steak and nobody gets hurt.
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

            Comment


            • #21
              I have noticed that the people CW has claws in the deepest are the ones most opposed to the paleo lifestyle. I mentioned the change in our eating habits to our school principal and she was all "everything in moderation" and couldn't seem to get away fast enough. I wanted to shake her but that wouldn't have been very good. I am really looking forward to parent teacher interviews next month when I can find out if my kids attention spans have really increased as much as I believe they have.

              Paleo's a hoax! That's fine, more bacon for me!
              I'm a 39 y/o mother of 3 sons ages 12, 14, and 15
              HT: 5'7"
              SW: 223 June 2012
              CW: 191.4 April 21 2013
              TWL2D: 32 lbs

              Primal Goals: to feel healthier, fitter, and sexier than ever before

              Favourite primal resources: The Food Lovers Make it Paleo cookbook, Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo, The Food Lovers Kitchen, Primal Kitchen: A Family Grokumentary and of course Mark's Daily Apple!

              Comment


              • #22
                Me too

                Originally posted by Mr. Koozie View Post
                I know what you mean Iron Fireling. Back when I ate grains I was hungry ALL THE TIME. I'd eat a huge meal and a half hour later was eating again. For now, I'm going to keep depriving myself by eliminating an entire food group and instead have a steak wrapped in bacon with a pad of butter and a fried egg on top. And then I'm going to sleep like a baby for 8 solid hours and wake up refreshed. Deprived. Please.
                I used to come home after work and be cranky, shaky and starving at 4:00 but now I can have lunch (today lamb, brussels sprouts, salt and sweet potato) at 12:00 and I can have dinner at 7:00 without starving or having mood changes.
                An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good!'
                -Somebody funny

                Comment


                • #23
                  Yeah... because I know I used to binge on quinoa ALL THE TIME. Boxes of it.

                  Seriously, I prefer zucchini noodles to pasta and ice cream is an occasional treat.... and in what universe is there a diet that allows for real full fat ice cream? Really? I must have missed the part about ice cream being on the various diets I did.... that chapter must have been excluded from my copy of South Beach Diet.

                  I don't miss fat free, sugar free yogurt as I dig into bacon and eggs. And who the hell would prefer quinoa salad over a steak?

                  So funny that they claim this diet is lacking in pleasurable foods. The reason we all stay on it is because it's BASED on satisfying foods. Every other diet in the "world of weightloss" is based on horrifyingly unsatisfying foods that drive you eat crap! Because Slimfast is so pleasurable. You know that swill ain't like a Dairy Queen shake.

                  http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                  Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Well, that's a headesk article if I ever read one.

                    " A breakfast of plain lowfat yogurt and berries wouldn't be allowed." Says who? Yes, lowfat is not great, but if it is PLAIN and not full of artificial thickeners, sweeteners, sugar, food coloring, pectin......" Then go ahead! Personally, a full fat PLAIN yogurt simply tastes better with berries. No one is clubbing you over the head, dragging you back to their cave and forcing you to consume a huge portion of woolly mammoth meat for breakfast.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      “There's another, wholly unrelated problem: pleasure. "It eliminates quinoa, ice cream, pasta -- these things we love to eat, that make us social creatures…”

                      I do agree that ANY way of eating does have some social difficulties, but humans being social creatures is not thanks to quinoa, ice cream or pasta. That's just sloppy writing.

                      The thing is, as time goes by, I'm actually seeing that paleo/primal eating is actually having some negative health effects on me, and while I want to believe in it full-heartedly, the results I'm seeing are pretty disappointing, and I've actually had some success in moving towards a more SAD-type diet (still no gluten, soy, dairy, but way more sugar and carbs, less vegetables, lower fat). I could easily write an article explaining what I see as being some of the problems with this way of eating, but not a single thing in that article would be on my list, because it's all nonsense.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        That's cool... more bacon and steak for me!! YAY!
                        Primal since March 5, 2012
                        SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)



                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Iron Fireling View Post
                          ...I have never found any way of eating as easy as primal, and I think it's because I AM satisfied and I DON'T crave anymore. I mean, I may feel like I want to eat something in particular, but I'm not driven to shove something in my mouth despite already having eaten more than enough.

                          Errm... and I'm not lacking for "pleasure" either on this diet. When I was struggling to lose weight following CW I was depriving myself of pleasure ALL THE FREAKING TIME and I was NOT successfully losing weight. (In fact, the only time I managed to lose any weight in the old days was when I took diet pills... Phentermine worked nicely...except I could hardly sleep...). And the point is when I was trying to eat this way, as soon as I "went off the rails" I found it EXTREMELY hard to get back on the diet. When I've gone off primal (eating a treat or something) I've been able to resume where I went off without any hardship at all. To me that is the indicator of an eating plan that TRULY works. It's one you can stick with and get back to with ease!

                          Well said!

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Mr. Koozie View Post
                            Back when I ate grains I was hungry ALL THE TIME. I'd eat a huge meal and a half hour later was eating again.
                            Exactly, and it was even worse when I was a veg head. It's something I noticed when I was having Sunday brunch at my then boyfriend's house years ago. They'd have a huge spread, ranging from scrambled eggs and bacon/sausage/etc to bagels and an entire varied breadbasket to oatmeal to fruit plate to I don't remember what else. Then they didn't eat again until dinner. Whenever I ate there and had eggs and bacon and fruit and toast or bread of any sort, I was starved again within hours. Not the case if I stopped with just the eggs and bacon and a little fruit. It took a while for the connection to come clear.
                            If they were equations, they would look like this:

                            Real food = satisfaction for hours

                            Real food + crap food = short-term satisfaction followed by increasingly urgent hunger and moodiness

                            That realization, years ago, made me willing to consider Atkins and then the paleo/primal diets.

                            Why don't we ever see articles like this: "Standard American Diet: Healthy or a Road to a Host of Health Woes"?

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              One of these articles comes out about every month like clockwork these days. The hallmarks are a total lack of evidence, failure to speak with anyone who's tried it out for a period of time, and very sloppy logic / simple failure to look stuff up, like the whole "don't eliminate food groups" thing as well as repeat of the artery-clogging sat fat boogieman.
                              Meanwhile, average life expectancy in the US is starting to fall - NY Times article today.
                              If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by BestBetter View Post
                                The thing is, as time goes by, I'm actually seeing that paleo/primal eating is actually having some negative health effects on me, and while I want to believe in it full-heartedly, the results I'm seeing are pretty disappointing, and I've actually had some success in moving towards a more SAD-type diet (still no gluten, soy, dairy, but way more sugar and carbs, less vegetables, lower fat). I could easily write an article explaining what I see as being some of the problems with this way of eating, but not a single thing in that article would be on my list, because it's all nonsense.
                                I'd be interested in hearing about this if you decide to write about it.
                                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X