No announcement yet.

Not 'leaning out' like i had hoped!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure that Leida is more right than I am since she has a way better body than me, but one thing that can put fat on your belly is stress. And sometimes I think all this emphasis on all these high-impact, heavy weights, sprinting and to always be doing everything with the volume turned up to 11 can be sort of stressful.

I do not have any evidence of my own that NOT lifting heavy and sprinting and attending high-energy classes where you push yourself hard is the answer. But I am giving it a try right now. Instead of push-push-push I am taking it easier. Riding my bicycle slowly to work. Jogging slowly at lunch. Hiking moderately on the weekend and (hopefully) avoiding the whole push-push-push race to the top thing I normally do.

I normally eat fairly low carb since I'm not a big fruit or potato eater. I mostly am eating meats of all kinds and veggies of all kinds and not worrying too much about macros or anything. Lately I have been eating breakfast later but I don't know if that also causes stress and that maybe I should return to eating earlier in the morning. I may try that when I get some different food in the house.

I'll resume strength training in two weeks, but for now I'm attempting to see if slowing down and engaging in activities that don't result in muscles soreness 4 days a week will reduce stress and help move things forward for me.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

First I'd cut out the fructose/sweets. The problem is that fructose is in just about everything you'd buy these days in a grocery store or restaurant. The Skinny on Obesity - UCTV Prime - UCTV - University of California Television

What fructose does is raise uric acid in the cell which down regulates mitochondria's ability to produce ATP and set in play a metabolic mechanism to store fat The Fat Switch Book | Weight Control Guide - Mercola.com. The paleo/evolutionary reason for this is to put on fat for winter by down regulating energy output (couch potato) and increasing the hunger signal through insulin and leptin resistance. Originally, fruit was the seasonal signal to trip this weight gain.

The kick in the ass is excess exercise also raises intracellular uric acid through the constant break down of muscle tissue, and excess exercise also increases cortisol levels which also set you up to gain, hold onto, body fat.
      Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

Sbhikes, you are making me feel so embarrassed, since it's rather far from the truth.

For the record, every year I go through a month or two of low impact activity only. I have this cycle that kicks in in April-May, when my weight just piles up insanely no matter what I do, so I usually step back, just work in the garden and walk and try to keep calories down. I did it like 3 times. It helps maintaining, but does not lead to fat loss for me. Intense exercise always gave me the best results fat-loss wise; low-impact seem to just do nothing for fat loss, though I love it for well-being.

Nutritionally, I am testing out Scott's hypothesis right now, not touching any fructose (or sugar, but that's duh! no brainer).

I am also testing staying in ketosis - well, as soon as I can get into the perfect ketosis!- without carb ups to see if that can work or if carb cycling is the only option.
        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
          I'm sure that Leida is more right than I am since she has a way better body than me, but one thing that can put fat on your belly is stress.
          My life is stressful, but was maybe more stressful 10yrs ago when I had lower body fat and a flat belly. I have a child with Autism and a marriage on the rocks now, plus a 47 yr old body that is going through a firestorm of hormonal changes. My cortisol levels are all screwed up (too high in the AM/PM). My sleep cycle is off.

I'm considering asking my husband to cut back to part time so I can go back to school. This might sound crazy, but I don't know if I want to go back to school because I worry I'll put my Primal life on the back burner to make it through the 1-2 years of balancing school and family. If my husband doesn't cut back at work it will be beyond stressful! I don't want to stop my work outs and my fun primal cooking.

Ah, another dilemma! First things first. Cut out sugar.
          sigpic
          Age 48
          Start date: 7-5-12
          5'3"
          121lbs
          GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
          Henri Frederic Amiel

Comment

It is very true that it's harder to lose fat at a low starting weight. I'm underweight right now having started at the lower end of normal on a CW diet and consequently had a bigger belly pooch than I'd like. 6 months in, it's still there but going away very slowly though I've lost weight overall.
            F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

PHaselow, I just wanted to tell you that you have a pretty high level of commitments, and it will be hard, of course, but i hope you can make it! I always feel that I can face the challenges better when my body is under control. You can do it!
              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                PHaselow, I just wanted to tell you that you have a pretty high level of commitments, and it will be hard, of course, but i hope you can make it! I always feel that I can face the challenges better when my body is under control. You can do it!
                Well, thank you. I needed that.

Got my period last night. For sure the reason why I felt bloated, since my stomach has flattened out already. Amazing how eating primal changed things. I went from being solidly in perimenopause (very irregular periods; skipping 2-3 months at a time) to back in the game (monthly periods for the past 3 months)! I am very, very happy about this and it makes me even more dedicated to sticking it out. Like you said, it makes me feel under control!

Honestly, it isn't about the weight loss and the leaning out in the long run. I just had an image of what this lifestyle change was going to do to my body. That unrealistic vision is a throw-back to my old eating disorder ways. Expectations only set me up to fail when they are not met within my time frame.

I want this to be my last experiment. I love the PB attitude and I love the enthusiasm, sarcasm and contentment of the long time Primal people I've run across in my few short months. Hell, I look better than the average 47 yr old so I should be happy!
                sigpic
                Age 48
                Start date: 7-5-12
                5'3"
                121lbs
                GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
                Henri Frederic Amiel

Comment

There are two types of fat cell receptors that control the release and storage of fat in cells: alpha-2 adrenoreceptors (storage) and beta-2 adrenoreceptors (release). Women have NINE times as many alpha-2 cells in their lower body (belly, hips, thighs) as in the top part of their bodies (which the exception being upper arms). This is why it's very typical for women to lose weight from the top half of their bodies while the excess fat in the belly or thighs won't budge.

The only thing that I've seen work for me, with regards to reducing fat from these stubborn areas is using Cold Thermogenesis. There's a ton of info on the Cold Water thread. I've been doing cold water baths and spot icing on my abdomen for months, and I am seeing a noticeable improvment.

Comment

Working...
                  X