Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sprinting!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
    I guess I'm just different because I've always seen running as the most normal human way to travel. I'm sure people think I'm weird or always late for a bus or something but I'll just start running even if I'm in my regular street clothes. Just running to get somewhere feels like the way humans are supposed to get somewhere. It's faster than walking, more exuberant and yet if you do it slow enough it's not tiring.
    The t-nation article was making a point against non-minimalist running it seemed to me (since it mentioned heel-striking and the mechanisms the body has in place as natural shock-absorbers and such) not against running in general.

    Either way, this isn't about what's the best method of locomotion, but rather what exercise has the most bang for your buck between sprinting and jogging. I think we should all be mature enough to admit that there's space for both sprinting and jogging (and obviously walking) when it comes to human locomotion. There's absolutely no need to determine a "best" because we employ all of them.

    Sprinting is my downfall, I haven't been able to stick to a once a week routine for more than 2-3 weeks before I "forget" to do them... I really should since I don't really have a lower body routine at the moment. My conditioning in that area is pretty horrible too, I can hardly do 5 uphill sprints now before wanting to go home and ball up. Ideally I'd do my sprints via a sport such as soccer, so I'm looking for an outdoor league or something to join.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
      The t-nation article was making a point against non-minimalist running it seemed to me (since it mentioned heel-striking and the mechanisms the body has in place as natural shock-absorbers and such) not against running in general.

      Either way, this isn't about what's the best method of locomotion, but rather what exercise has the most bang for your buck between sprinting and jogging. I think we should all be mature enough to admit that there's space for both sprinting and jogging (and obviously walking) when it comes to human locomotion. There's absolutely no need to determine a "best" because we employ all of them.

      Sprinting is my downfall, I haven't been able to stick to a once a week routine for more than 2-3 weeks before I "forget" to do them... I really should since I don't really have a lower body routine at the moment. My conditioning in that area is pretty horrible too, I can hardly do 5 uphill sprints now before wanting to go home and ball up. Ideally I'd do my sprints via a sport such as soccer, so I'm looking for an outdoor league or something to join.
      I sometimes run barefoot when doing sprints, other times I use my minimalist shoes. When sprinting, in particular, you are always running on the balls of your feet. Sprinting can be quite challenging for the first couple of weeks, however if you stick with it you will adjust to and enjoy the experience. Remember to warm up with some light jogging and slowly build up to maximum efforts. One of the main points of the article is the important biochemical changes that take place once you become sprint adapted, especially the increased production of human growth hormone.
      Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

      https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

      Comment


      • #33
        More good articles on the benefits of sprinting -

        What Are The Benefits Of Sprints? | LIVESTRONG.COM

        http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18197184
        Last edited by canuck416; 09-19-2012, 04:18 PM.
        Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

        https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by canuck416 View Post
          I sometimes run barefoot when doing sprints, other times I use my minimalist shoes. When sprinting, in particular, you are always running on the balls of your feet. Sprinting can be quite challenging for the first couple of weeks, however if you stick with it you will adjust to and enjoy the experience. Remember to warm up with some light jogging and slowly build up to maximum efforts. One of the main points of the article is the important biochemical changes that take place once you become sprint adapted, especially the increased production of human growth hormone.
          Absolutely. I'm aiming to get back into it starting with a light "re-introduction to sprinting" workout when I get home from work.
          I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

          Comment


          • #35
            Some great interval training apps for you technology geeks - 10 Interval Training Mobile Apps to Download Right Now | Greatist
            Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

            https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

            Comment


            • #36
              Sadly only for iOs.

              Comment


              • #37
                Has anyone tried pulling a resistance sled during your HIIT sprint workouts? Here's a great article on the benefits of this type of training aid.

                Conventional Sprints or Resisted Sprints?
                Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

                https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

                Comment


                • #38
                  HIT, HIIT...or HIRT

                  Some good info that will help you decide on the approach that's best for you.

                  HIT, HIIT…or HIIRT? | Ancestral Momentum
                  Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

                  https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Some more good reasons to sprint!

                    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...inute-run.html

                    http://greatist.com/fitness/interval...omplete-guide/
                    Last edited by canuck416; 09-24-2012, 03:05 PM.
                    Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

                    https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      I was wondering if perhaps heavy kettlebell swings or snatches would count as a form of sprinting - given that they race my heart rate all the way up very quickly? I don't know if this question has been asked before ...

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        OK, a question for all you sprinters. I work most of the year in Greenland and it is just to damn cold to go outside and sprint in my shorts. :-) Although I do try to sprint on a back road wearing my parka and cold boots, but I digress. My question is about duration. When I sprint I do it on the basketball court, start joggingin around then just a the turn go fullout until I have to slow due to running out of space! So is this good, bad or indifferent? I do it 5 or 6 times once a week. I really don't like sprinting on the treadmill. So until it warms up or I head home to Phoenix I must do what I can.

                        Thanks for any and all replies.

                        Dave
                        Living the dream, inside a myth

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Littlesigh View Post
                          OK, a question for all you sprinters. I work most of the year in Greenland and it is just to damn cold to go outside and sprint in my shorts. :-) Although I do try to sprint on a back road wearing my parka and cold boots, but I digress. My question is about duration. When I sprint I do it on the basketball court, start joggingin around then just a the turn go fullout until I have to slow due to running out of space! So is this good, bad or indifferent? I do it 5 or 6 times once a week. I really don't like sprinting on the treadmill. So until it warms up or I head home to Phoenix I must do what I can.

                          Thanks for any and all replies.

                          Dave
                          Dave,
                          From the way I see it, ANY exercise you are engaging in on a routine basis is better than nothing! But on a basketball court, you could always implement the suicide sprints that will add the intense cardio portion to your sprints. I am in Florida, so I have the benefit of great outdoor weather the majority of the year. So I started doing 8 x 100 yard sprints where I sprint the 100 yards down, then walk back, then go again. Once I got pretty comfortable with those, I added intensity by adding a couple down and back sprints with a 60 - 90 second breather before the next cycle. I gotta say that doing so really kicked my butt in a whole different way! I could feel my entire body crying for more oxygen and it really pushed my cardio system to the limits. Personally, I love this feeling, knowing I am pushing my body further than it is accustomed to - it means I am building capacity and getting better every time I do it. I don't time myself or anything, but simply based on how I feel, I know it is helping!

                          So I say all that to say, add suicide sprints (down and back to each line on the court at full speed) until you feel it really start to kick your butt! That will be a great way to really induce growth and push your body harder.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X