Has anyone ever tried balut?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Theresa92 View Post
    Haha! It's good to try new things though! Maybe I'm just a strange person who likes eating abnormal things. I've actually been told that before!
    True, but only to a point, for me. Define 'abnormal'... I've eaten turtle and crocodile eggs, dugong, crocodile and turtle meat, flying fox, several types of snakes and lizards, lots of insects and arachnids, the 'milk-gut' from a bustard etc etc... but a fetal bird with all the trimmings (ie: beak and down) would have to be a survival food, not a treat.

Comment

Sounds good! Reminds me of a McDonalds McNugget I once had.

Comment

Ok... never eaten Balut... but...

Since I grew up on a farm there was a time I cracked a partially developed chicken egg into a skillet in front of my brother... and there were dares and words of "chicken"... and I didn't throw the little sucker out. I fried and ate it.

It was considerably less developed than a Balut though... no feathers yet... just a shiny little chick lump of extra stuff about equal to the regular yolk in size.
        I gulped it, it grossed my brother out sufficiently. I don't remember any particular taste.

I suppose in the right circumstance I could have a go at Balut.
        If I was in the Philippines I would definitely do it.
        But I doubt my husband would watch.
        “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
        ~Friedrich Nietzsche
        And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

I had it once, when I was on vacation there was a street stand which sold it. Let's say it was better than liver
          well then

Comment

I just... don't think I'd be able to do it. I think I would be physically sick unfortunately . I mean, if I think too much about eggs as it is I struggle (I really DON'T think about what they are when I eat them!!)... but that would be a little too... real for me.

Comment

Yes, when I was very little. I grew up where it was considered common and ate stuff as a child that no child growing up in a western country would touch, so for me it wasn't a big deal. Ate it with salt and pepper, not too fond of it at all, though.
              F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comment

Working...
              X