Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it time to put a muzzle on free speech?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jojohaligo View Post
    I don't think Nady was asking rhetorical questions, Nady is asking questions and doesn't deserve to be called despicable.
    Its despicable to question free speech because Muslims murder in response to being offended. Get that through your head

Comment

I don't think Nady was asking rhetorical questions, Nady is asking questions and doesn't deserve to be called despicable.
      I really don't care what you think. Mind your own business and stop standing up for an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by ecole66 View Post
        I really don't care what you think. Mind your own business and stop standing up for an idiot.
        You're speaking in a public forum, so if you want not to be heard, you should make your message private.
        Female, age 51, 5' 9"
        SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
        2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

You're speaking in a public forum, so if you want not to be heard, you should make your message private.
          I was speaking directly to Nady so how about you not worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
            I can understand Nady's sentiment ..... what that video poster did was akin to yelling "fire!" in a crowded theater. Is any one asking why it was posted on Sept 11? Doesn't that seem a bit intentional? I think that who ever posted it is some what responsible for the reaction that occurred.
            The movie was not posted on 9/11. It was posted over 3 months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Bill View Post
              Its despicable to question free speech because Muslims murder in response to being offended. Get that through your head
              Part of your interpretation of your precious first amendment (and that is not said sarcastically - I think it is a great thing to have) is that people have a right to express their opinions, and I think even if one wonders about what is the best interpretation of that amendment. Nady clearly said, "Can we discuss? I'd like to understand better, because right now, I'm just sick."

There has to be a place/space/time to ask questions, no matter if -even if asking the question itself - is offensive to others. Otherwise the amendment doesn't mean much, at least that's how I see it.

Edit:
              (my own opinion on the whole situation is inline with what Uncephalized posted. Video is in bad taste, but not illegal, and the responsibility lies with the people who acted out in violence. Some people/groups/cultures are just a little too eager to be offended and then act out on it.)
              Last edited by jojohaligo; 09-14-2012, 07:18 PM.
              Female, age 51, 5' 9"

Comment

I was speaking directly to Nady so how about you not worry about it.
                ...in a public forum.
                Female, age 51, 5' 9"

Comment

Originally posted by Nady View Post
                  I believe in all of our American rights. But I'm not so sure other cultures understand them the way they're meant. For example, first Americans came from countries where they were 'punished' if they spoke out against their government/rulers. So, having the protection of free speech was something near and dear to the writers of the Constitution.

But we're not a little upstart nation anymore. It's gotten to be a small, small world, with people of many nations and beliefs. Do we have the right to use our freedoms to tweak their sensitivities? Do we have the right to expect them to react the same way we would? Do we have the obligation to be politically correct at home, but culturally insensitive to the rest of the world?
                  You contradict yourself so much, you want to believe one thing but in reality you don't.

Your rights should never beholden to the views of the outside world. Many countries think women shouldn't vote. Should we get rid of the 20th amendment to align with those countries? Should we ban guns because the rest of the world like an unarmed civilian population? Giving up your rights to make others happy is the most ridiculous ideology a person could have.
                  Last edited by kenn; 09-14-2012, 07:23 PM.
                  Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
                  Starting Weight: 294 pounds
                  Current Weight: 235 pounds
                  Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Comment

I believe in all of our American rights. But I'm not so sure other cultures understand them the way they're meant. For example, first Americans came from countries where they were 'punished' if they spoke out against their government/rulers. So, having the protection of free speech was something near and dear to the writers of the Constitution.

But we're not a little upstart nation anymore. It's gotten to be a small, small world, with people of many nations and beliefs. Do we have the right to use our freedoms to tweak their sensitivities? Do we have the right to expect them to react the same way we would? Do we have the obligation to be politically correct at home, but culturally insensitive to the rest of the world?
                    First of all, I do not believe for one second that this had anything to do with a video. This was a coordinated attack on the anniversary of 9/11. The propaganda that is being spun by the media is ridiculous. Really, what makes more sense? A video that was released 6 mo. ago by an Isreali citizen living in the US, or an attack on the anniversary of the biggest terrorist event ever?
                    Which, by the way, I also believe we will see similar attacks in the future if we continue to make excuses and allow these heathens to carry out their will on us.

Again I ask, Nady, where does it end? Where do we draw the line in the sand and send a message that we will not tolerate the harm or murder of American citizens?

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Bill View Post
                      innoncent lives that are taken by people who think they have the right to kill you because you don't believen in mohommed or islam....thats what gets me worked up...idiots who support and make excuses for people hwo take innoncent lives because they disagree with their religion
                      That's an extreme over simplification of why there is unrest in the Middle East. I find these emotional types of comments disturbing because they are on par with the reactionary views that incited the rioting in the Middle East. Both groups are very susceptiblel to propaganda.
                      Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Freedom of speech allows people to not only question the need for free speech but also to defend it.

Works both ways.
                        Durp.

Comment

So, it's okay to bully? slander? What about yelling *fire* in a theater, or *bomb* on a plane? There are some exceptions to free speech, wouldn't you say? If you knew saying a specific something would bring another person/group to violence against others, do you still have the 'right' to say it? Morally, ethically? IDK, some people have a short fuse (thinking about road rage here, not any group in particular). Whatever happened to *Discretion is the better part of valor*?
                          These riots are bullying. The very fact that a stupid, poorly made video brings people to a murderous rampage reflects poorly on those doing the murdering, does it not? If one is so sensitive that a video incites violence, it is THEIR shortcoming, not the creator of a video (which I still say is merely an excuse, and not the ACTUAL reason for the riots on our embassies.)

We have 2 separate points here. The first is how radical Muslims react to videos, cartoons, and any sort of perceived "slander" towards their religion. They cut off heads to protest somebody accusing them of cutting off heads. It's, at its core, childish, at the very least. There is no defending that kind of behavior, in any sane manner. Perhaps next time I am offended by an Obama bumper sticker, I shall shoot the driver of the car? After all, they offended me with their hideous sticker! Maybe they shouldn't have put it on their car.

The second point, the attacks on our embassies and the murder of an Ambassador. This had nothing what so ever to do with a poorly made video. It was planned, and timed for September 11th as part of an ongoing war. It's nothing short of a slap in the face for which we should rightfully bomb the ever living snot out of them, turning the entire region into an epic sheet of glass.

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
                            These riots are bullying. The very fact that a stupid, poorly made video brings people to a murderous rampage reflects poorly on those doing the murdering, does it not? If one is so sensitive that a video incites violence, it is THEIR shortcoming, not the creator of a video (which I still say is merely an excuse, and not the ACTUAL reason for the riots on our embassies.)

We have 2 separate points here. The first is how radical Muslims react to videos, cartoons, and any sort of perceived "slander" towards their religion. They cut off heads to protest somebody accusing them of cutting off heads. It's, at its core, childish, at the very least. There is no defending that kind of behavior, in any sane manner. Perhaps next time I am offended by an Obama bumper sticker, I shall shoot the driver of the car? After all, they offended me with their hideous sticker! Maybe they shouldn't have put it on their car.

The second point, the attacks on our embassies and the murder of an Ambassador. This had nothing what so ever to do with a poorly made video. It was planned, and timed for September 11th as part of an ongoing war. It's nothing short of a slap in the face for which we should rightfully bomb the ever living snot out of them, turning the entire region into an epic sheet of glass.
                            If I were not already married I would ask for your hand in marriage. Great post!

Comment

If I were not already married I would ask for your hand in marriage. Great post!
                              lol - I was thinking the same thing when I read her post.

In the end, we're all responsible for our own actions. No one can "make you" kill someone. Every wife beater in the world claims, "She made me hit her." It's a lame excuse in the singular and it's a lame excuse for the mob mentality.

We teach little kids that "sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never harm me." If we expect little kids to get it, surely we should expect the same impulse control from adults.
                              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

[QUOTE=Diana Renata;953428

It's nothing short of a slap in the face for which we should rightfully bomb the ever living snot out of them, turning the entire region into an epic sheet of glass.[/QUOTE]

You may get just what you are calling for.
                                Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Working...
                                X