No announcement yet.

Tips for dealing with traffic stress?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best thing I ever did for my traffic stress/ desire to seriously maim stupid drivers was start taking the bus. Yes, the length of time I commute increased, but now I can listen to my headphones and read a book on the way to and from work. Plus I built myself in a half mile walk each way, just by not taking a transfer bus.

It's a pretty good method for cooling off after a stressful day. Also MUCH cheaper than gas and parking downtown...

Comment

Originally posted by EmeraldRose View Post
      The best thing I ever did for my traffic stress/ desire to seriously maim stupid drivers was start taking the bus. Yes, the length of time I commute increased, but now I can listen to my headphones and read a book on the way to and from work. Plus I built myself in a half mile walk each way, just by not taking a transfer bus.

It's a pretty good method for cooling off after a stressful day. Also MUCH cheaper than gas and parking downtown...
      I am going to try this next week. I can't wait to start walking again
      My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Slipknot at about 115 decibels works for me. Or you could come over here and drive in Cairo for awhile, any other cities' traffic is nothing after that.
        Randal
        AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
        Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
        http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderlust View Post
          Air Horn... works for me =).
          You sound like my husband. He put an air horn on his RAV4.

Comment

We recently had a seminar on handling stress. The speaker mentioned traffic. She suggested if something gets you upset don't carry it with you. If you have to get pissed at the idiot and then let it go. Don't dwell on it. Easier said than done, but I'll try almost anything once.

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
              My drive to work just changed from 20 minutes each way to 45-60 minutes each way. I am accumulating stress very quickly from just this commute, not to mention my newer job is faster-paced and more stressful. Anybody have any tips for calming down during the commute, at the very least? My shoulders are extremely tight at 8am in the morning, before I even start work!
              Move out of the Bay Area. Worked for me, and I'm a native from La Honda:-)
              Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

Comment

ACDC and a very large sub-woofer

Comment

Originally posted by SoccerGrok View Post
                  Move out of the Bay Area. Worked for me, and I'm a native from La Honda:-)
                  Doesn't Portland have a bunch of crazy traffic as well? :P

Comment

In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Good View Post
                      lmao, wouldn't that be more likely to cause traffic accidents?

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                        lmao, wouldn't that be more likely to cause traffic accidents?
                        I wouldn't really know considering everyone has a different level of self control when it cums to orgasms. If I got a bit of oral attention while driving then I'd probably crash but you could poker face it all the way to work for all I know.
                        In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

I had a 62-ea-way commute for over a year when I lived in OC/worked in Fontana.

It took me 45 minutes to get through the first 10 miles....

Audiobooks. Lots and lots of audiobooks.

Comment

Oh, yes. Tigard, in fact, has a notorious bottleneck. And then there's crossing the border from Portland to Vancouver and back. Portland driving can be a nightmare. You never know if you need 8 minutes or 45! But compared to Cairo, L.A., New York, Seattle, San Francisco, etc., it's not so bad.

Hint: If you're in the Portland area wanting to go to Powell's for books, Sunday a.m. is a wonderful wonderful time. And -- you can find a parking place:-)

One of my daughters does a lot of driving. I don't think she gets in the car without audio books! Good luck. I've done those way too long drives way too much. And then there was the day the cement mixer flew over the dividing line in the road -- which caused one of the students where I taught to ram me between his monster car and a parked Mercedes -- totally totalling my car! Aw, the non-so-pleasant commutes.

Another daughter of mine totalled her car on the bridge between Portland and Oregon. I ended up running across the bridge to her and the kids as the traffic was stopped. Luckily, my husband was driving us to her, so he could stay in the car and I could run. We got her three kids and my youngest out and away before tow trucks and such got there to take smoking car away.

Or the time... well, anyway, sympathizing totally with your issue. Hang on in there. Kids' audios are fun too. CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY or Usula LeGuin or...:-)

Comment

A lot of people already beat me to it, but audio books. I switched to them when I realized the combination of radio ads, DJ patter and songs I'd heard a zillion times already were contributing to my road stress (and I didn't even have a 10-minute commute). What I have found is that audio books make me a safer, more patient driver. I don't mind sitting in a traffic jam so much or through an extra red light because I'm keen to hear what happens next in my story. Also, audio books make longer drives -- such as for weekend getaways or drives to see family in other towns -- fly by.
                              Plus I made really good friends with my local librarians. They have a ton of options in my library branch and the ability to order audiobooks from other branches if they don't have a specific title in-house.

Comment

Originally posted by waterjen View Post
                                *snip*
                                the combination of radio ads, DJ patter and songs I'd heard a zillion times already were contributing to my road stress (and I didn't even have a 10-minute commute).
                                This. Times 100. There were some commercials that made me sooooooo annoyed. Now I just listen to Rammstein. Things are MUCH better!

Comment

Working...
                                X