Ahh, Santa Barbara, where the streets are paved with avocados

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tercio View Post
    There's a big old Mission Fig Tree tucked in by an overpass about 1/2 mile away from me.
    I would die of fig OD if I lived nearby. But I'd die happy.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
      Bwuaahhahahaha. Yes, I'm eviiilll. Actually, I'm often amazed at how much fruit there is free for the taking that nobody takes. Some streets are lined with loquat trees. Loquats are delicious. There is an apple tree hanging over the fence on the bike path with apples all fallen into the dirt. And a walnut tree, too. Several macadamia nut trees litter the streets in my neighborhood. Too bad you can't crack macadamia nuts. Believe me, we've tried everything and nothing works. It's fun to watch the wild parrots in the pecan tree down the street. Sometimes I take a walk and pick up people's fallen plums and apples. I long ago lived with this hippie guy who made regular rounds on his bicycle for all the free produce in this town.
      Freeze the nuts for an hour or two before trying to crack... use a good sized C-clamp(obviously cheaper and more storable, but more muscle work for the hands) or bench vise.

We always used a bench vise for shelling local black walnuts and hickory nuts as a kid... because hammers bust nut meats (and fingers), and black walnuts are tough buggers too... they laugh at hammers! And then send them flying right back towards your face.
      “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche
      And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Go Gauchos!

I graduated from UCSB... and it was probably one my favorite places I have ever lived.

Comment

Working...
        X