Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have any experience with heart disease and Primal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have any experience with heart disease and Primal?

So has anyone dealt with this, or know relatives who have implemented Primal living with heart disease?
    My father has significant health problems (lifestyle related, but also radiation exposure and Agent Orange exposure), and is about to have a pacemaker put in. I read about Paleobirds' dad's sucess with Primal and told dad that if his cardio agreed, it might be worth a try since he has the neuropathy problem as well. He said his doctor would have six kinds of fits if he wanted to do high fat. (I have to say.....he already has a significant amount of fat in his diet, but not the good kind.) They live in the middle of nowhere in KS, don't eat out much, and cook clean quite a lot...but he eats too much. I'd love to give him some tips and the key that helps him finally lose weight and be healthier. But I know in extreme health cases, it's probably best not to tinker with a doctors' advice.

My father also has HD (lifestyle and genetics) but is not open to any change. Maybe you could help him figure out the amount of fat he is eating now and show him the benefits of changing it to healthier fats? I can't imagine any Dr being upset over a heart patient going low carb but Drs are weird. At least he will talk to you about it!
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Comment

Also, Dr. William Davis is a cardiologist who wrote "Wheat Belly". Maybe something like that would help convince him? Honestly, if he is eating fat now replacing it w/ healthier fats should not do any harm.
      You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
      height 5'3
      SW 215 lbs
      CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
      LW 172 lbs
      GW 125ish lbs

Comment

Yeah, when presenting it to a health professional, don't label it as "high fat". If you say you want to go "low carb", they can get on board with that. Of course we all know that ends up being highER fat but we don't have to put that part in the title.

My best to your Dad. Mine is still doing well. BP of 115/65 unmedicated and he is going to be 87 in a couple of weeks.

Comment

My husband's cardiologist said "whatever you've been doing differently, keep it up!!". He was very pleased.
          Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Thanks everyone. This is all good advice! I will see what I can do.

Comment

To give you a bit more background, seven years ago DH had a heart attack due to plaque in his arteries. For six years nothing really changed. Since going Primal in May 2011 he has not only dropped 40 pounds, his blood pressure is at a healthy low, all his numbers improved but the best part? He was given a nuclear test to see how his heart worked under stress as well as at rest and his arteries were completely normal. No plaque!

Comment

Originally posted by honeybuns View Post
                To give you a bit more background, seven years ago DH had a heart attack due to plaque in his arteries. For six years nothing really changed. Since going Primal in May 2011 he has not only dropped 40 pounds, his blood pressure is at a healthy low, all his numbers improved but the best part? He was given a nuclear test to see how his heart worked under stress as well as at rest and his arteries were completely normal. No plaque!
                That is EXCELLENT!

I did up a fat/protein/carbs ratio for him and decided to present it to him that way. I think when I suggested the idea before, he immediately got the idea that everything he'd be eating would be dripping with fat. I'm going to give him examples of what I'm eating every day and how it's not scary. He always tries Nutrisystem and stuff like that and any weight he loses always finds him again. He's not even 70 yet, still strong as an ox apart from some significant health problems, and I'd like to make things easier for him.

Comment

The physicians assistant did ask him how he dropped the weight and my hubby told him that he cut out processed foods, sugars and bread products. No mention of high fat even though that is what we are doing. The PA thought that was great and said how people do not realize how bad grains are for you.
                  Another way to present it is eating food like it used to be cooked way back when he was a kid. Might work.

Oh, you might tell him my husband is 66.

Comment

You know, in a way this is really the Mediterranean diet the true one. Lots of healthy oils, fresh vegetables, fish, pastured animals.
                    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Studies have linked dioxin exposure (Agent Orange) to increased mortality caused by ischemic heart disease. Another thing for us aging boomer vets to worry about. War can kill you way after the fact. I also just tell my Dr. I'm eating clean unprocessed foods and don't mention high fat. She also says "whatever your doing, keep it up".

Comment

Originally posted by Shelli View Post
                        So has anyone dealt with this, or know relatives who have implemented Primal living with heart disease?
                        Depends what you call Heart Disease. I was taking two different pills for high blood pressure in March. I've lost 42 lbs and done HIT rowing and Body by Science strength training. Now I take no blood pressure medications.

When my blood pressure was noticeably lower, I just e-mailed my doctor and asked which would be the best one to come off. She gave advice and I dropped to one. A few weeks back BP was way down in the normal range and I just told her I was dropping the second one and would let her know if BP started going up again. It hasn't.

Once I'm down to my ideal look I will also ditch the statins I take too and see how a blood test goes. I was diagnosed with late onset asthma and I am wondering if my diet and fitness will enable me to give up the inhaler as well.
                        Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel View Post
                          I was diagnosed with late onset asthma and I am wondering if my diet and fitness will enable me to give up the inhaler as well.
                          I bet that you will be able to give up your inhaler or at least reduce your usage. I know my asthma has improved dramatically since I purged the grains from my diet.
                          Last edited by Chris_H; 09-11-2012, 07:24 AM.
                          Male, 32y, 6'0" tall
                          SW 306lbs (6/1/12)
                          CW 244lbs (1/17/13)

BP down from 120/80 to 110/74

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel View Post
                            Depends what you call Heart Disease. I was taking two different pills for high blood pressure in March. I've lost 42 lbs and done HIT rowing and Body by Science strength training. Now I take no blood pressure medications.

When my blood pressure was noticeably lower, I just e-mailed my doctor and asked which would be the best one to come off. She gave advice and I dropped to one. A few weeks back BP was way down in the normal range and I just told her I was dropping the second one and would let her know if BP started going up again. It hasn't.

Once I'm down to my ideal look I will also ditch the statins I take too and see how a blood test goes. I was diagnosed with late onset asthma and I am wondering if my diet and fitness will enable me to give up the inhaler as well.
                            I might not want to wait until then if I were you. Statins are really not good for you, particularly as you age they can cause muscle wasting. This was from a study published on my HMO's newsletter (not some fringe internet thing). So that was the first pill my Dad came off of with the full support and blessing of his MD.

Comment

Originally posted by honeybuns View Post
                              How did he do it? My brother got Heart Diseases, my family have to take him to see the Singapore professional hospital. The doctor just give him the medicine and the suggestion, but can not cure him. Recently started his Heart attack. Is there any way to protect his Heart. Thank you very much!

Comment

Working...
                              X