Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TrPAssasin View Post
    @BestBetter, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

As far as the 14 hour days, a bunch of them probably did die, but the mill workers wouldn't have caught black lung. Also, a whole generation of early industrial revolution children didn't just die off and those industries still flourished. The point I was making is that we, as a species, can survive and even thrive through many situations. And, we have.
    Yes, the black lung comment was specific to the mine workers. I completely agree that we as a species can survive many horribly stressful situations (an atomic bomb, for example), but I don't know that surviving those situations always makes us stronger. The mill workers, for example, had a high probability of experiencing accidents that likely left them disabled, they spent every daylight hour inside the mill (or factory) meaning that they were probably drastically deficient in vitamin D. Many sweatshop workers, epecially the women who were working in the garment industry, went blind or had significantly damaged sight from doing so much work with really poor lighting. The mill workers were breathing sawdust on a daily basis, and likely developped infections or disorders...plus there's the whole 'mental strength' aspect that probably went down the toilet for all those folk working monotonous factory job... performing a mindless, prideless task for 12-16 hours 6+ days a week can really rob a person of their joy in life.

I think the working conditions in the beginnings of the industrial age more likely contributed to the destruction of health and strength rather than making people stronger.

However, that's my only criticism, and I loved everything else in the article!
    Last edited by BestBetter; 09-11-2012, 02:06 AM.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the feedback and criticisms, I appreciate you taking the time.
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X