What do you consider "once in a while"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you consider "once in a while"

My son started kindergarten today and I was surprised to hear from other parents that they have pizza day EVERY WEEK. When I was in elementary school we had it ohhhhh, TWICE A YEAR! Does this not seem excessive? I posted about it on another forum and basically got told that if I don't like it, I don't have to participate (thanks Tips!) Is it just me or does this not strike anyone else as fundamentally wrong? I mean, I was all for letting my son have the odd pizza day but once/week? Apparently the schools make big $$$ offering this pizza day vs other types of fundraisers. A bunch of bear paw parents came down on me for thinking the school should be setting a better example by not offering it so often!?!? I mean, obviously I can opt out (and will!) but it's in their face as an accepted all-the-time food because IMO, weekly is NOT "once in a while" So, pardon the pun, but am I out to lunch or are they?

Sadly, I think this what has become the "norm" in many schools today. As a kindergarten teacher myself, I see the poorest food choices everyday. Food and eating is a learned behavior.... So with that said, you can instill in your child what others aren't installing in theirs.

As far as lunch choices in schools go... Ugh don't get me started. Yes, schools are offering healthier choices and limiting their snacks, but there are still many kinks to work out.

You should pat yourself on the back for being such an aware parent who is in-tune with health and nutrition

Comment

My wife and son do a pizza night about once a month. Before I found the primal lifestyle I didn't think weekly was too much. You don't know what you don't know.

Comment

Our family has 'fish and chips' once a week. If you don't think that wheat is of the devil, Pizza once a week doesn't seem excessive.
        Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
        5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
        Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
        TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
        bloodorchid is always right

Comment

When I was in school (started elementary school in 1990 and graduated high school in 2003) Friday was "pizza day". Every Friday, from kindergarten through senior year. So, yes, it was weekly. I'm pretty sure that's "normal" nowadays.
          >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
          >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
          >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
            Our family has 'fish and chips' once a week. If you don't think that wheat is of the devil, Pizza once a week doesn't seem excessive.
            My son isn't wheat-free, so I definitely don't think it's the devil...he had a glutenous wrap today at lunch. I guess I just feel like the school should be setting a better example, especially to the littlies! I mean, it's one thing if I want to make the parental decision to feed my kid a less-than-nutritious meal at home, out or even sent to school... but something about them offering it weekly just rubs me the wrong way. But, I guess this is normal so I will deal with it. I'm hoping to be homeschooling soon anyways, I can just add this to my list of "Whys" lol

Comment

Originally posted by KV8R View Post
              My wife and son do a pizza night about once a month. Before I found the primal lifestyle I didn't think weekly was too much. You don't know what you don't know.
              Well yeah, this. Before starting primally we'd have a once a week "junk food night" and didn't think much of it, because it was just once a week.

Since I've gone primal, I'm more inclined to think of a night of junk food as more of a "once a month" thing. Even so, I don't think I've taken my kids out for a junk food meal ONCE since starting primal almost 2 months ago!

The point is, I guess, to "most" people, pizza once a week isn't a big deal. When I was a kid I'd get a tuck shop lunch once a week, with a pie, pizza or whatever, and brought lunch from home the other days. (When I was a kid, once a week seemed to come around all too slowly as well ).

Comment

When it comes to junk food, pizza is probably one of the better choices.

Comment

When living with my folks, every Saturday was pizza day.
                  carl's cave

Comment

Originally posted by MissJecka View Post
                    When I was in school (started elementary school in 1990 and graduated high school in 2003) Friday was "pizza day". Every Friday, from kindergarten through senior year. So, yes, it was weekly. I'm pretty sure that's "normal" nowadays.
                    Same. Every Friday night was pizza night until high school came around and I stopped wanting to hang out with my family on the weekends. I used to bring my friends over too, every time. I don't know if their parents knew why we always went to my place on Fridays. On the other hand, my family was very health oriented when I was young. I think Friday pizza night was one of our only conscious unhealthy habits. We didn't drink soda (one at special events) and we never had cheap snack food around. But, my parents were (and still are) at a very weird middle ground between CW and dietary enlightenment.

So, it depends. If pizza is your only vice and you eat it once a week, that's probably not going to kill you. If you eat 20 different kinds of junk food all "once in a while" then you just eat badly.

Comment

The fact is that most kids love crap food and will take it when they can get it. We used to do pizza about once a week (unless they chose chinese instead) before learning to eat this way. My teen will eat junk out at every opportunity. She sneaks off to the corner market sometimes and eats the crap before coming home or loves going to church as they serve donuts each Sunday. She knows the difference but is a rebelous teen (thanking the universe that her bad choices are mostly limited to a bit of junk food). My younger one would go for the pizza at every chance too. All you can do is teach them to make better choices and try to limit the junk to a level that you are comfortable with. Most of society is nuts and has no idea what these food choices are doing to them (they also don't want to know - ignorance is bliss - just give me a pill to fix it).

Comment

At Nampa High School, every day is pizza day. I ate two to three slices of horrid Sysco pizza every day I actually attended high school. I don't remember kindergarten, but I know I ate astronaut food first through fifth grade. The "puncture with fork" lunches made of peas and salisbury steak substitute.

*edit to answer original question! I'm consider once in awhile once a month, depending on what it is.
                        Last edited by Knifegill; 09-07-2012, 08:10 AM.
                        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

When I was a kid we had lunch ladies and mystery meat. We never had pizza that I can remember. I mostly brought my lunch to school and played the trading game.
                          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

My school offers 'fun lunch' program. What it is, it is a food order from various fast food joints. I am obviously not participating, and keeping my mouth shut, but can you believe the gall of conditioning the kids from K on to consider fast food places to provide FUN lunch????
                            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                            When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Pizza is wheat flour, cheese and tomato. Obviously, cheese and tomato aren't so bad. Possibly even good. The issue is the wheat flour. Consider the daily breakfast for the majority of Americans is a bowl of cereal or a breakfast sandwich. That equates to a slice of pizza. Consider that the average lunch for almost all Americans is a sandwich. Depending on the size of the roll, that's 1-2 slices of pizza. Consider that the average American's dinner is either a pasta-based dish or served along with bread. Obviously, this can vary, but I can easily see most people consuming 3-4 slices of pizza's worth of wheat flour a day. At that point, what does it matter if it's in the form of bread or pizza dough? Hell, the pizza dough may be better because it's usually cold-fermented overnight to add flavor, so replacing sandwiches for pizza may have benefits.

If you go from the typical cereal and sandwich heavy American diet to pizza once a week, that is a massive drop in wheat consumption. However, IMO that's far too much. When I say I do something "once in awhile," I typically mean around once a month. I also haven't had a slice of pizza from a restaurant in almost 2 years. I just don't miss it.
                              Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Working...
                              X