What do you consider "once in a while"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leida View Post
    My school offers 'fun lunch' program. What it is, it is a food order from various fast food joints. I am obviously not participating, and keeping my mouth shut, but can you believe the gall of conditioning the kids from K on to consider fast food places to provide FUN lunch????
    My elementary school had that too. Although, we called it hot lunch and it was once a month. It was a big deal to me as a kid because my school did not have a cafeteria so we never had hot food for lunch; it was always whatever my mom packed. If fun lunches are an everyday or every week thing, then yeah, that seems excessive. I loved those hot lunch days as a kid though...

Comment

I don't know how you found pizza made with real cheese in a food desert. Sysco is among the worst and most common suppliers. None of their food is real. It's just refined oils, stabilizers, gums, colors, hydrolyzed feathers, etc.
      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

My wife has more of a tendency to crave non-Primal stuff, so maybe twice a month she requests pizza. I make a simple dough, but I know the oil will be olive oil rather than soybean or some other atrocity, and as Choco said, I ferment 3-5 days most of the time for flavor development. I prefer very thin crust, so it's even less of a wheat wallop. I don't see it as a big deal, honestly. To me, 80% means being good during the week and maybe having something less than ideal on the weekends, without going hog wild. It's a huge improvement over all the grain we used to consume in the name of health...

Comment

If you don't have problems handling wheat, and the pizza is handmade without any industrial oils or fake foods/chemical flavorings in it, there's nothing wrong with pizza at all IMO. The problem is that pizza that's served to school kids probably doesn't meet those criteria, and is likely full of soy/canola/corn oil, etc. But if you make your own pizza it can be quite nutritious; tomatoes, cheese, meats and veggies, you can even do nuts and fruit and fresh greens for a "salad pizza" or whatever you want. I don't think that kind of pizza would be bad once a week. I'm sure there are rice-flour crust recipes out there too, which would avoid the gluten issue.

But factory-made cafeteria pizza? Yuck.
          Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

"Once in a while" anything at this house means 2 to 3, possibly four times per year tops. Kinda' like the seasons or semesters - once per.

I can only say "yeah!!" for your choice to homeschool - we do it as well - and one of the corollary benefits is that all of this public school food nonsense flies out the window. My public school years ran from 1972 thru 1985. My schools always had hot lunches, and I got them free because my folks were poor as church mice and we were on welfare everything. I had never heard of pizza day and fun lunch day and all of this until I had my first kid and started looking around at the educational options.

I don't think pizza per se will kill anybody (except my one celiac daughter and her grain-free sister), but you have a definite supporter in me that pizza every Friday is too much, unless it is made the old-fashioned way - by hand, and only from real, fresh ingredients - and that ain't gonna happen in this case.

You are the one who is well-balanced and also correct - all those SAD eaters are the ones out to lunch. Stick to your guns and don't let those loonies at your son!
            I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

I'm with the OP - when I was in elementary school pizza day was maybe 2-4 times per month... there was a "hot lunch" every day, but it was usually burgers, chicken sandwiches, sloppy joes, etc.... I don't think the whole "chicken finger" craze had started yet. Parents were sent monthly menus so we knew if a "good" lunch was coming up. I never particularly cared for the school pizza, as my mother would bring home REAL pizza with the works (SO many meats and veggies) maybe once every month or two, but "icy juicy" day was definitely on my radar!
              In Jr. High it was the same food (in fact, everything for the elementary schools in the district was COOKED at the Jr. High), PLUS a snack bar that was open during morning recess and lunch. The snack bar served amazing coffee cake, cup o' noodles, etc. and Taco Bell burritos (bean and cheese) and Pizza Hut pizza (plain or pepperoni) either by themselves or in combination with a soda and chips.... mmm... junk with a side of junk, available every day! (but it's not like they even tried to pretend it was healthy).
              In high school, there was essentially only "school lunch" service for those who needed it (and got it for free), almost nobody else ate that food... our snack bar had curly fries, the greasiest chocolate chip cookies ever (oh, they were so good fresh out of the oven, if you had a prep during the 3rd block of the day...), super-fake-cheese nachos, plus the Taco Bell/Pizza hut crap... and we had an open campus, so almost anyone with a car drove off somewhere to get "real" food (but it took the entirety of lunchtime, since lunch was only 40min and nothing's THAT close to campus).
              When I was student teaching high school, there was a teachers cafe which had decent food (staffed by students as a "work study" kind of thing) - salads, soups, etc., and the few times I had to eat in the student cafeteria were just brutal... I'm not really sure how ANYONE can think that it's "okay" to have pizza with a side of fries (okay, if you're eating it once in a blue moon, fine, I'll give it to you, but...), also, charging teachers more for the same food and pushing them to the back of the line... yeah, I was glad when the teacher's cafe re-opened. Elementary school lunches where I student taught were no better, though a little closer to what I had as a kid. When I did an internship in a residential facility, the food wasn't TOO bad - real food, which freaked out a LOT of the kids (OMG it's GOAT! I'm not TOUCHING IT!), but also baking (to help with "life skills") and sugary treats more often than I would have liked... When I dropped a bunch of weight quickly through LC while interning and working there, I wasn't really allowed to tell them how I did it, other than "watching what I ate".... *sigh*

So, I guess I went off on a tangential story, but yes, I would consider every week to be more than once-in-awhile, and I would have considered it such before going primal, but as KV8R said, "You don't know what you don't know."

Also props to NowhereMan for this gem: If you eat 20 different kinds of junk food all "once in a while" then you just eat badly.
              Last edited by PrimalMama; 09-07-2012, 02:35 PM. Reason: 'cause I forgot the Nachos!

Comment

I have a slightly different take on junk food; personally I am against looking at it as treat, which is how pizza served at school is meant to be taken. It is low quality food and I don't associate it with something special. Once kids get that connection junk=treat it's really hard to change that. Look at all the adults that are having a hard time breaking that training.

For third and fifth grade our son went to a charter school 2 days a week in conjunction with homeschooling 3 days a week. They often seemed to use pizza as a reward for something; the kids did well on the STAR tests let's give them pizza. My son never saw it as a reward. He was used to homemade pizza, his favorite was chevre, feta and Parmesan with rosemary and garlic. He's 14 and he still thinks store bought pizza looks greasy and rubbery.

BTW we've been unschooling our son since the fifth grade and we all love it.
                Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

A WHonceILE
                  In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

The school I work at has pizza every day.

Comment

Working...
                    X