Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does being fat-adapted give you an edge in survival situations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That PaleoHacks link was very informative particularly Ambimorph's post. It clearly showed that t3 lowering is a normal adaptation that the body makes in times of caloric or carb scarcity in order to spare muscle from being catabolized. It is not pathological and does no lasting damage to the thyroid. It is not the same thing as "being hypothyroid".

The back and forth between Jaminet and Rosedale was interesting too.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
      It is not the same thing as "being hypothyroid".
      Yes, that's what I keep pointing out. But it's like an urban paleo legend that just won't die. You can't expect your body's machinery to change to get energy from fat without there being actual, you know, changes. The t3 thing is one of those changes. If that didn't happen, you'd probably convert all your muscles into sugar and never be able to use your body's fat stores for energy. What sense would it make to store energy that is unusable?
      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
        Yeah, same here. I mean come on, sleeping on 3/8" of foam on top of snow? I can't say this born and raised Santa Barbara girl (ain't no snow in Santa Barbara) has suffered any increased cold-sensitivity.
        ]
        Even rosedale says it CAN lower body temp and increase cold sensitivity in some people.

It's not the same as actually suffering from hypothyroidism as it's not an autoimmune disorder and can be reversed with dietary carbohydrates, which regulate t3 levels unlike fat which has no effect, so increasing your fat caloric content will have no effect. It's called Nonthyroidal Sickness Syndrome and it can have all the SYMPTOMS of hypothyroidism due to lowered t3 and elevated rt3. It's a "natural" change that happens on very low carb, very low calorie, times of starvation or illness. It doesn't mean it's desirable for most people if it leaves you fatigued, cold insensitive and your hair falls out. Not everyone reacts well to it.
        If it works for you great! I'm happy for you! Just don't try to pass it off as though it's right for everyone and saying rubbish like it's an 'urban legend' or saying that people just weren't "doing it right". That's just disturbing dogmatic denialism that's completely incorrect and contradicts thousand of peoples experiences and as well as practicing clinicians like Chris kresser who deals with people suffering these issues all the time due to VLC.
        Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 09-07-2012, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
          Even rosedale says it CAN lower body temp and increase cold sensitivity in some people.

It's not the same as actually suffering from hypothyroidism as it's not an autoimmune disorder and can be reversed with dietary carbohydrates, which regulate t3 levels unlike fat which has no effect, so increasing your fat caloric content will have no effect. It's called Nonthyroidal Sickness Syndrome and it can have all the SYMPTOMS of hypothyroidism due to lowered t3 and elevated rt3. It's a "natural" change that happens on very low carb, very low calorie, times of starvation or illness. It doesn't mean it's desirable for most people if it leaves you fatigued, cold insensitive and your hair falls out. Not everyone reacts well to it.
          If it works for you great! I'm happy for you! Just don't try to pass it off as though it's right for everyone and saying rubbish like it's an 'urban legend' or saying that people just weren't "doing it right". That's just disturbing dogmatic denialism that's completely incorrect and contradicts thousand of peoples experiences and as well as practicing clinicians like Chris kresser who deals with people suffering these issues all the time due to VLC.
          I know you feel that low carb=hair loss and nothing is going to change that perception for you. There are a lot of other things that do cause hair loss including vitamin and mineral deficiencies, excesses, and imbalances. You don't want to consider that your hair loss may have had something to do with one of those even though you said you tried it one time with "a boatload of supplements" and another time with zero supplements, so you blame it on the low carb instead.
          If you have found something that works for you terrific. Just don't go trying to scare others away from something that could be helpful to them.

Comment

What I don't get Forgot, is why did you hijack this thread that wasn't even about VLC to spread your anti-VLC message. Being fat-adapted is not the same as VLC. Having metabolic flexibility while you are out in the wilderness or in a survival situation is totally something different from practicing long term carb-restriction. You have an agenda and are just looking for a place to spread it. You have nothing to contribute about actual survival situations.

My hair is fine and my metabolic flexibility is a blessing out there. It's night and day compared to my high sugar 3000 mile trek on the Pacific Crest. Using your body fat for energy rather than constantly snarfing food is such a huge advantage it's hard to describe. I am certain it would give you a huge edge in a true survival situation. While someone else might have to go through a period of low energy, hypoglycemia, overwhelming hunger, and unclear thinking you could just concentrate on getting yourself out. You can carry less weight since you could cover long distances without food, plus you know you could do it so you would be calm. You wouldn't have to eat your fellow plane crash survivors or ration crackers and chocolate bars. You could just hike out.
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
            X