Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
    Not a Type 1 diabetic.
    All the accounts I've seen of type 1 diabetics who went primal seem to indicate they need a lot less insulin. So she was right.

Comment

Originally posted by oxide View Post
      I've come to the realization that there is no such thing as a low-carb low-fat diet. It usually turns into a low-carb low-fat diet with lots of carb cheats.
      Or it's a low-carb low-fat diet with lots of toasters ready to be flung into your bathtub. And then lots of Paxil once your boyfriend pries you from the bathroom and makes you go to the doctor.
      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
        Er - sounds very much like you are confusing that with weight watchers. It's generally a less extreme and more measured version of Atkins.

It promotes eating plenty of vegetables which happen to be low fat. It is certainly a high-fat diet and obviously high protein.
        I don't actually know what's on the WW diet. But we have the South Beach Diet on the book case and I took a look and it was all about avoiding fat. Sure you can have a little but mostly it was horrible dry diet food. They even warned against liver. I mean, come on! Liver is the most healthy thing you can eat.
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Winterbike View Post
          All the accounts I've seen of type 1 diabetics who went primal seem to indicate they need a lot less insulin. So she was right.
          I guess it depends on what you think 'treatment' means. I agree eating low carb helps control insulin responses. But I don't think it restores pancreatic function.
          Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
          5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
          Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
          TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
          bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Not a Type 1 diabetic.
            Must be an American thing? Over here this is what we call Type 1

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzielou View Post
              Must be an American thing? Over here this is what we call Type 1
              Sorry I just saw the above post, when I said 'treatment' I meant in conjunction with insulin therapy, not a 'cure' obviously.

Comment

Saw a large woman at Whole Foods with her food and a drink. Was expecting her to sit down with a sandwich and a diet soda, but to my delighted surprise, she had sauted collards, a chicken leg, and some sweet potatoes on her plate! And her drink was kombucha
                My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

DD started high school and has a combined gym/health class. The gym portion is standard games, with a focus on teamwork, and "fitness" training, with a focus on measuring improvements. They have a tricked out work out room with all the machines and a nice free weight set up. Most of the kids are fixated on the ellipiticals and the climbing wall, but they learn to use everything.

The biggest shocker to me was a lesson on weight, diet and exercise. The usual CW on food, but when discussing exercise the teacher said (as reported by DD), "Yeah, you can burn a lot of calories running, but if you really want to burn calories, you need to lift weights, and heavy stuff so you get stronger, because your muscles are what really burn the calories and they'll do that 24/7 if you just make them stronger." Now if they could just get over the low fat, healthy grains mantra.
                  50yo, 5'3"
                  SW-195
                  CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
                  GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Comment

Drew the blood of a morbidly obese woman who had lost 100 pounds by eating more fat. It's happening, the world is changing. I'm seeing it from the inside.
                    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I guess it depends on what you think 'treatment' means. I agree eating low carb helps control insulin responses. But I don't think it restores pancreatic function.
                      Actually, there was a remarkable success story with a six year old child, I think it was. She was diagnosed Type 1 Diabetes, and her parents were trying to help and tried a strict paleo diet. Her pancreas must not have been completely gone, because the function came back. But I would imagine this would only work on newly diagnosed children.
                      Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Originally posted by Wildrose View Post
                        Actually, there was a remarkable success story with a six year old child, I think it was. She was diagnosed Type 1 Diabetes, and her parents were trying to help and tried a strict paleo diet. Her pancreas must not have been completely gone, because the function came back. But I would imagine this would only work on newly diagnosed children.
                        Holy Crap!

Comment

I love telling folk that I don't catch colds any more since I upped my sat fat intake.
                          F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by CelloIsLove
                            I guess what I'm trying to say is that the wisdom we follow isn't all that unheard of for older generations. There's a reason obesity wasn't very prevalent before the 70's in America, and part of it was their overall high-fat, higher quality diets and active lifestyles. Why we forgot that and threw it away so quickly still boggles my mind.
                            Because in Western societies, individualism is more prevalent, leading to younger generations believing that they're the shit and know better than the 1000 years of wisdom passed down from their own culture.

In China, where families are closer and individualism isn't as prevalent, the new generation still believes in eating rice porridge when having stomach issues, never drinking cold water to provoke digestive stress, walking places instead of running, etc. That's why they have a lower obesity rate....for the most part.
                            My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Working...
                            X