The many uses of coconut oil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The many uses of coconut oil

Waterproofing my hiking boots~they are as soft as glove leather now!
    Conditioning the stiffened, starting to crack leather seats in the car~supple once again
    Lubing the moving parts of my greenhouse vent fan.
    Oiling a maple branch for use as a hiking stick.

I've heard you can even cook with it!
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Oiling my wooden salad bowl sets. And I once used it as a hair pomade - I have really independent hair, even tho it is straight (tons of cowlicks all over) and use some kind of grease to give it a little polish and just happened to be in the kitchen, showered, and too lazy to go upstairs for the usual goop.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

I use it to wash my face and moisturize. Treat a sunburn. I have oiled my hair with it for a deep condition.

Comment

I hear you can mix it with baking soda and arrowroot powder (or non-GMO cornstarch) for a super awesome "Man-scent killer" deodorant. Haven't tried it yet, but I plan to see if it works on my husband's man-scent (and my own lady-scent).

Check it: Easy Homemade Deodorant That Really WORKS!!! « The Mommypotamus The Mommypotamus

Comment

It is just not for my coffee anymore! I also use it as a skin moisturizer.
          “Life is a journey, not a destination.”
          ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

SW (January 2011): 208.5
          LPW (March 23, 2013): 156.0
          CW (July, 4, 2013): 172

Comment

Coconut a marval of mother nature! Not many things you can't do with it!
            “But a smell shivered him awake.It was a scent as old as the world. It was a hundred aromas of a thousand places. It was the tang of pine needles. It was the musk of sex. It was the muscular rot of mushrooms. It was the spice of oak. Meaty and redolent of soil and bark and herb. It was bats and husks and burrows and moss. It was solid and alive - so alive! And it was close"

Comment

Seconded for use in hair. I have ultra-fine medium-length hair that is sort of wavy and live in high humidity. I used to put about three different products in my hair, a john freida serum for the ends, a mouse for the roots, and then no-frizz (100% silicone) over the top to keep it all smooth. Within a few hours my hair was always fluffy-ratty and the ends were super dry. I'd have to comb my hair multiple times a day to keep it from turning into a nest. A friend who is a hairstylist told me that I should probably just get a keratin treatment.

I started using coconut oil in my hair - about a tablespoon worth, starting at the ends and then working my way up. No frizz or poufyness, the ends are much better, and I do not need to comb my hair, ever. I just finger-comb when dry. I feel like an infomercial talking about it, but the results actually are amazing.

I've also used it as a body moisturizer. The key is to remember that a little goes a long way. Seems greasy at first, but after a few minutes that goes away. Doesn't irritate my sensitive skin. Last week I went back to using my fancy Olay body lotion because I had a bit left in the bottle, and the skin on my back broke out terribly. Ugh.

I keep a tub of LouAna's in the bathroom (with the Nutiva reserved for the kitchen). Easier to make sure that I don't cook with something that might have hair in it, and I'd rather spend the $15 I save on more meat to eat. And it doesn't make me smell like a pina colada.

Never heard of the deodorant use. I will have to check that out. My husband's under-arm glands swell up after he uses regular stick deodorant, so we're experimenting with milk of magnesium right now. I think it works well, even in the tropics, though it's sort of runny.

Comment

oh so many uses...
                Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
                http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

Oo, I can't wait to try some of these. I bought some cheap coconut oil at the Indidan grocery last week. While I won't make a habit out of it (I have Nutiva on autoship from Amazon), it occured to me that it is perfect for other uses -- cooking for groups when they are not primal, medicinal uses, hair, oiling, lotions...For 4 bucks for 16 oz, you can't go wrong.
                  The Sedition of Sisyphus: Go Find Another Rock

Griff's Cholesterol Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Ellen View Post
                    I hear you can mix it with baking soda and arrowroot powder (or non-GMO cornstarch) for a super awesome "Man-scent killer" deodorant. Haven't tried it yet, but I plan to see if it works on my husband's man-scent (and my own lady-scent).

Check it: Easy Homemade Deodorant That Really WORKS!!! « The Mommypotamus The Mommypotamus
                    It does work! I made some last week out of boredom (and nothing else works) and have been shocked by how well it has been working. I can skip a day of re-applying and not gross myself out (which, previously, if I didn't reapply every six hours or so, I had gross b.o. stench mixed with whatever awful fragrance was in the deodorant).

Comment

Originally posted by unsuperb View Post
                      It does work! I made some last week out of boredom (and nothing else works) and have been shocked by how well it has been working. I can skip a day of re-applying and not gross myself out (which, previously, if I didn't reapply every six hours or so, I had gross b.o. stench mixed with whatever awful fragrance was in the deodorant).
                      Have you had any irritation issues? I find these very effective, but I cannot take almost any natural deodorants due to my poor, irritated underarms. Regular, nasty, chemical laden deodorants? No problem. My underarms are soft and comfy. Natural ones with baking soda or cornstarch -- or even the natural ones with salts or clay -- and my underarms burn and get red. I so want to get rid of these chemicals!
                      The Sedition of Sisyphus: Go Find Another Rock

Griff's Cholesterol Primer

Comment

Coconut oil also is a great eye makeup remover. Non irritating to the eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by ciavyn View Post
                          Have you had any irritation issues? I find these very effective, but I cannot take almost any natural deodorants due to my poor, irritated underarms. Regular, nasty, chemical laden deodorants? No problem. My underarms are soft and comfy. Natural ones with baking soda or cornstarch -- or even the natural ones with salts or clay -- and my underarms burn and get red. I so want to get rid of these chemicals!
                          Hmm, have you tried arrowroot? I haven't had irritation issues, but my skin isn't terribly sensitive to begin with.
                          Here's another recipe that is supposed to be less irritating (but does have the baking soda)
                          Solving the World's Deodorant Crisis: A New Soothing Recipe | Crunchy Betty

Comment

I have veery dry skin and coconut oil help me more than anything, I apply it on my face every day before going to bed and my skin looks much better and softer than before) Here's the also the article about coconut oil for baby skin. My friend uses coconut oil for her baby, she says it helps for diaper rash very well.
                            Last edited by Charmee; 07-11-2013, 04:41 AM.

Comment

It is also good on cracked nipples from Breastfeeding.

Comment

Working...
                              X