No announcement yet.

Our own little Kiwi Thread !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would think movements like KB swings which jerk the area wouldn't help with healing. I'd more be doing barbarian squats with a clubbell as they are more like standing crunches for the ab area. I need to fit YAYOG in with my gym day. I'd be taking Vit C, Vit E, gelatin, collagen and so on to help for the scar tissue to heal. Don't they put something like netting over the hernia?

Comment

• I almost didn't post here, you all sound so fit and onto it. I, on the other hand, am still doing battle with sugar and weight! I started a keto plan just over 3 weeks ago, and it's not all beer and skittles, lol. I've had zero energy, but that's improving. I like the look of the yayog app.
      Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• Don't know about onto it. I struggled and struggled with the weight thing when I was low carbing and trying keto etc. No energy and that slow insidious weight gain. Since I potatoed and now pretty much peat very loosely. Sugar back in my coffee. Less walking around. Mysteriously I am my "usual" weight, if there is such a thing. And I have stayed that way for over 18 months now. It may just be luck. Or maybe genetically we all slim off when we get older. Who knows. I can also resist sugar now and binge eating. Still trying to work out how to fit the body weight stuff in with my gym day in a structured manner.

Comment

• Hey Jac. I struggle too, it seems like if I let things start to slip it catches up with me very fast. I'm keto'ing, have been since Christmas and have seen some good results. I tried doing the potato hack, but found I was really hungry and had a very acidic tummy throughout, which derailed any long term plans. I've just read Keto Clarity by Jimmy Moore. It's a good book, but a little over the top for my liking - he recommends keto blood testing many times daily to start with, and I was left feeling like nutritional ketosis is almost unattainable. I only recently got my hands on some keto urine testing strips only to find out that they are not particularly effective for those in long term ketosis, so I really have no idea if I am or not in ketosis. Impossible to find blood testing kits, and the urine strips only seem to show ketones when I am fasting. But regardless of my doubts, I have lost a fair bit of body fat and I am only eating two meals a day now - which I never thought would happen because IF scared me.

Comment

• Hi Lizzie. I'm now just past my first month of keto, and it's finally kicking in. I listed to Jimmy Moore on the audiobook, and his absolute certainty was what finally got me to commit. I can't bear his website, though - so much advertising, and so many crap products!!

However . . . I did buy the ketonix. It arrived yesterday - despite my struggle with tracking things, I thought I really needed to know what effect different foods were having, and the thought (and expense!) of fingerpricking twice a day put me off, big time. I can't quite figure out how it callibrates with the blood ketones or what the values mean just yet, but I figure if I have an idea of where I sit I can adapt my food intake to do better. I bought the finger pricking kit from pharmacy.net in NZ, but the stripe are almost $3 each. Ridiculous!!

I've seen a bit of weight loss, and in fact this morning the scales moved for the first time in ages. It feels to me as though adopting this approach as we go into winter is a good thing to do. And I have a lot less brain fog these days
            Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• Yay Jac!

Here's to more downward trending scales in the future!

Might go see if I can find a Jimmy Moore podcast then. Although I-tunes is very limited for those of us with Bruneian credit cards.

I agree that this ketosis business is really the ticket, I'm feeling lots more energetic too and my arthritis and back pain are at an all time low.

Comment

• I am thinking that MDA doesn't want this old unmotivated Gwamma anymore. Just popped in to send my love to you all and my post has been deleted......... Several times !!!!!!!!
                Anyway hope you are all well and happy.
                Miss you all
                Love me
                "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
                  I am thinking that MDA doesn't want this old unmotivated Gwamma anymore. Just popped in to send my love to you all and my post has been deleted......... Several times !!!!!!!!
                  Anyway hope you are all well and happy.
                  Miss you all
                  Love me
                  Hey G.. good to see you are alive and still kicking....

Comment

• Darling Doc, how is everything with you - over the sea and far away ?????????
                    Life is so same old same old here, however am getting larger by the minute !!!!!!!
                    So unmotivated - however I can still drink like a fish so I suppose not all bad news !!!!! LOL

...small steps....

Comment

• Hey Gwamma!

Comment

Darling Doc, how is everything with you - over the sea and far away ?????????
                        Life is so same old same old here, however am getting larger by the minute !!!!!!!
                        So unmotivated - however I can still drink like a fish so I suppose not all bad news !!!!! LOL
                        Things here are great.. garden growing, grandkids are growing.... chickens still laying... learning a bit about hydroponics... good times!

Comment

• LL, how are you ???????? Youngest has her commercial pilots licence now, but I suppose female pilots just don't happen where you are ???????? She was thinking about applying for Cathay pacific, but would be based in Hong Kong. She would love that,....... Me - not so much !!!!!
                          Thrilled the garden is going well Doc, and the grandies and chickens. You will be enjoying the Warmer days.
                          It's getting a little chilly over here in the Deep South, but I suppose it's winter !!!!!!! LOL

...small steps....

Comment

• Talk about the youngest spreading her wings, G! What a great thing for her.

How are you? What's new? How are the animals?

The only thing that ever inspires me is the damn scale. Oh, and occasionally a zipper that's suddenly harder to zip.

One thing I find helps is breaking things down into do-able pieces. Let's say I had 50 lbs to lose. Daunting. But losing 10 pounds five times is something I've done often. Plan a reward after the first 10 pounds. A nice meal out, maybe something off plan that you miss, a new piece of clothing or jewelry, etc. Then tackle the next 10 and so on.

Anyway, hope all is well with you, my far away friend.
                            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

LL, how are you ???????? Youngest has her commercial pilots licence now, but I suppose female pilots just don't happen where you are ???????? She was thinking about applying for Cathay pacific, but would be based in Hong Kong. She would love that,....... Me - not so much !!!!!
                              Thrilled the garden is going well Doc, and the grandies and chickens. You will be enjoying the Warmer days.
                              It's getting a little chilly over here in the Deep South, but I suppose it's winter !!!!!!! LOL
                              Hi Gwamma, there are female pilots over here, although I think only a handful at best. The sultan is all about employment for the local Bruneian's (high rates of unemployment) and my understanding of it is that he actually funds most of their training and experience gaining. However, hubby suspects that you end up with pilots who are not particularly talented at what they do, but have been thrown into the training regardless (good training does not necessarily make a good pilot without natural ability and talent). We have a friend who works for Cathay, has been with them for years now, sounds like a good job if she can get it. Good luck to her!

Certainly not missing the NZ winter. We were home for a visit last July, and decided that would be the last time if we can avoid it. No winter or summer here, just hot hot hot all the time. We have a jet ski now, so the boys spend a good deal of their spare time at the beach on that. Not really my sort of thing, and my daughter is not that keen either, but we make do with the pool or paddling about in the sea.

Just had my health evaluation done and it came back with some confusing results, which we are not sure if this is due to being white people compared to Asian standards or inept testing? My cholesterol is spot on, which I'm glad about, my urine had ketones (yay!) but the doctor failed to even notice that, he was more concerned with the trace amount of white cells in my urine and proclaimed that I had a UTI (which I didn't/don't). But the body fat test came back at 27% (i suspect this is a little higher that my true %), they used that electrical conductive test which has only about a 70% accuracy, and it was recommended that I am at least 5kg overweight. However Dr Google tells me that 27% is just fine, well within the normal/OK range for someone my height and age, my BMI is also fine. Honestly I feel like I would struggle to reduce that 5kg, and I feel a that my weight is at a really good point just now. I even have ab definition and feel very proud to wear a string bikini, so surely I'm not overweight? Not sure what to make of it all.

The chest x-ray was also interesting as it showed up my scoliosis, the Dr was like "nothing can be done" but also warned me that it may get worse when I go through menopause due to decreasing bone density - something I had not considered before. He recommended that I start supplements now to get in ahead of it, but as my own mother has not yet hit menopause I'm not rushing around to start those. Must do some research about bone density in the meantime, as I do recall reading something about calcium supplements being pretty useless?

Comment

• J thanx for that. Yes I agree - break them down into doable steps. That's so what I need to do. Anyway 3kgs down this week, but I am sure it's all water weight.
                                LL I agree - do some research. Doctors are not always right. OMG if I could get into a two piece I would be happy, let alone a string bikini !!!!!!!!!
                                Annie and Seas, how are you girls ????????
                                Doc thrilled that things are trucking along as they should.
                                I am just watching our weather and its gonna be a cold one. Snow on the way people. Batten down the hatches !!!!!!!

...small steps....

Comment

Working...
                                X