No announcement yet.

Our own little Kiwi Thread !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This thread seems to have gone dormant, but I thought to revive it in hopes of getting some suggestions from the denizens of NZ.

My wife and I are are making our first trip to NZ, arriving 7 April. We have a semi-hectic schedule involving 5 cities in 11 days with journeys by train, bus, boat, and plane. On 17 April my wife returns to the US, but I plan to remain in NZ until 6 May.

i haven’t made any firm plans as to where to go/what to do during that 19 day period. I do think I’d like to slow down and stay wherever I go for several days at a time. I’m currently thinking of places like Nelson (intrigued by the Time Gun) and Napier (funky architecture, but what else is there to do?). I’ve also noticed that there’s a bridge tournament in Wellington 24-26 Apr so that might be of some interest. I’d welcome any thoughts/suggestions.

About me: I’m 70, about 93% Primal for the last several years, so I pretty much feel like I’m about 50.
    Last edited by ctj; 04-03-2015, 06:59 PM.
    The road to wisdom? -- Well, it's plain, and simple to express:
    Err and err and err again, but less and less and less -- Piet Hein

Comment

• One last hopeful bump

Comment

• Hi ctj

I guess it depends on what you like to do!! Napier is pretty, and has a few touristy things to do. It's a good place to take a slower pace. The beach is stony, but fantastic for walking along. I'm guessing your cities are Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin - and Hamilton??
        Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• Hi Jac,

Thanks so much for your input. You're pretty close: our cities are: Rotorua, Hamilton, Wellington, Christchurch, Queenstown/Doubtful Sound, and Auckland. I guess that's 6 cities - I didn't count Hamilton because it's only an overnight stop to catch the train to Wellington.

It sounds like Napier is a definite contender.

- C.T. Jackson

Comment

• Hi ctj

So many places you could go........I'd try to fit in the Marlborough sounds maybe? Some lovely walks in that area and a good opportunity to commune with nature, maybe find yourself a holiday home to rent for a few nights and really get away from civilisation. Also nice and close to the Blenheim wineries!

In the North Island I'd recommend the Coromandel peninsula, maybe Tairua or Hot Water Beach. Or if beaches and cities are your thing Tauranga/Mt Maunganui.

Wellington sounds like a good plan too, there are always things going on there, concerts, shows, exhibits etc, and lots of good restaurants.

Hope you have a lovely time.

Comment

• Thanks for the great suggestions Lizzielou. You guys are not helping me narrow my options.

-- ctj

Comment

• Like Jac said, it depends on what you like to do. Cites, beaches, mountains or general countryside...

Wellington is really nice... compact, lots to do, good food and reasonably easy to access the outdoors.
                Auckland is bigger, beautiful harbours, a little harder to get around unless you stay in the centre.
                Rotorua is good for the cultural aspects, access to the different geothermal areas and roughly an hour's drive either way to Tauranga or Taupo. Also nice to do a stroll through the Redwoods. Welcome to The Redwoods - Whakarewarewa Forest, Rotorua, New Zealand
                Agree that Hot Water Beach is a nice spot, but so is Tauranga/Mt Maunganui.

I'll leave the many spots in the South Island to the locals.

Good luck & hope you enjoy yourselves.

Comment

• My favourite places are Coromandel for the bush and beaches, Central Otago for the crisp air and scenery, Wellington for the buzz. And Napier because that's where my granddaughters are .

How long is your overnight in Hamilton? I ask because that's where I live and I could take you out for coffee
                  Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• I would say Dunedin but then I am biased the castle, the wild life, the bush, the walks, the architecture to mention but a few things. the west coast is unreal but watch the biting insects. the mountains in the middle and any of the glaciers. much warmer in the north island right now and easier to swim in the sea for that reason.

Comment

• how is everyone doing btw? approaching half a century here. In just under 3 weeks to be precise. Was feeling pretty eek but I was in the supermarket when some woman asked me what I did to keep my body like this lol she asked me what I ate and then said probably nothing. what is it people don't get? if you starve yourself your body and face fall to pieces pretty quick once you hit 40. Anyways, right now winning the current battle. Still training, still sort of peating and still mysteriously stabilised in the weight dept.

Comment

• bumpity bump. I got YAYOG from a second hand book store I happened to wander past the other day for $1!!! I need to get back into doing my body weight routine in with my gym days as I really enjoyed that.

Comment

• Cool, what a bargain!
                          I've only just been getting back into my training this past month or so. It's taken me longer to recover from my hernia op than I'd hoped, but it's feeling pretty good now most of the time.

I've just been concentrating on my jiu jitsu so far, tested the old kb swings and tgu's a couple of tones and want quite up to it, but feeling better each time. Time to start light and low volume to ease back into it, i think.

Just hit 40 myself this week and everyone's been saying how much better i look with a fuller face. They don't see the extra couple of inches in my gut though
                          If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

• funny. I looked better with bones showing in my face but not looking gaunt. my pt did my body fat and ( bear in mind here I am classed as 50 ) I am 22%. I would be 17% if I was 18 on the same measurements which is crazy. I also cant work out where there is 12kgs of fat on me. 8 or 9 maybe. What sort of hernia did you have? From what I have heard some can be quite nasty. You did YAYOG didn't you? Feed back?

Comment

• Hello fellow kiwi's. Good to see you still here Misabi and Seas.

Glad you are both fighting fit, it's a constant battle to keep on top isn't it?

I am getting a health check up in a months time, so I'll get the body fat stats then, and a bunch of other not so interesting things that all come as a package. I've never been so fit before, although I'm around 5kg heavier than I'd normally like, but I like to kid myself that's muscle, will soon find out I suppose.

I'm enjoying my lifestyle change since moving from NZ, gives me lots of spare time to spend gyming, and doing yoga and boot camp. Food has been a little tricky as expected. No organic fresh produce/meat to be had at all, and limited other supplies at the supermarket. But I make do, just have to accept what is, and plan ahead.

Comment

• Hi Lizzielou, Sounds like Brunei (was it? ) suits you

Seas, it was an inguinal hernia, so right down on the underside of the abdominal wall in the groin.

The hernia itself was quite small and the repair is ok, but the surgery itself seems have caused some other issues that have taken longer than I'd have liked to get over.

The surgery was keyhole, which is supposed to give a quicker recovery, but I've had some issues along the root that the camera took from the point in my belly button through my ab muscles down to the right hand side of my groin.

I was actually just thinking last week that i should start yayog
                                KB swings are just aggravating the scar tissue too much at the moment.

I haven't read the book, only ever used the smart phone app, which is awesome.
                                If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                                If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Working...
                                X