No announcement yet.

Our own little Kiwi Thread !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• we lost power for over 48 hrs and had snow. it is not so much of a drama for us as our cooking is all gas and we have a wood fire. this morning there was a severe frost. Our inlet even had ice over it which my middle one loved as she was off school. the sun is out and it is beautiful now.

Comment

• Seas that sounds amazing. Ice on the inlet would have been gorgeous. I would love a wood fire, we have gas which is quick and convenient, but pricey when you don't use it for 6 months.
      Annie Ups the Ante
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• I couldn't survive without fire. heat pumps and gas fires do my head in. I think heat pumps stop working when it gets too cold as well. I also wonder the long term effect on your skin they have. we did a few winters without heating when we were building the last house when the kids were little. I used to go to the beach and make a fire on the still winters nights so we could keep warm. the still winter and autumn nights here are so good. we'd cook dinner and run around. the kids are too old to do that now. as in OH NO MUM NOT the beach. so it is usually just me and the dog these days.

Comment

• hi guys....... I agree with you Seas. We have 3 gas fires, 6 heatpumps and 2 wood fires in our wee cave, and guess what - I absolutely hate the gas fires and heatpumps. We never use them, actually yes we do but only if it is so cold when we have visitors. I love an open fire, but we only have one of those in the BBQ house. It is wonderful to sit around when family and friends are over, but a little nippy in this weather !!!!!!!!!
          Crazy busy working at present, which is great, but being pushed and pulled from one preschool to another is quite tiring.
          So sorry I haven't been around lately but am hoping that you are all fighting fit and well !!!!!!!
          G x
          "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• Hope winter is treating you all well.

DH and I are finally on our feet and enjoying the beginning of summer.

Comment

• Thats fantastic Zoes.
              No the winter has been very long already, and the frosts are incredibly hard for this time of year.
              3 major accidents on our road today. One fatal, other two critical. Winter - not so great when there is ice and snow aroundm
              "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• having animals and living rural ruined the ice and snow for me. all those poor sheep and cows and the horse out in the freezing conditions. or when it snows during lambing and loads of lambs die. no fun at all. We've had a few nasty frosts already. Thankfully I managed to 4wd thru the snow without incident but ice I hate.

Comment

• No doubt -- the rural parts of NZ would have a completely different experience than what I had in the city.

Business is growing -- so that's exciting. And the business in NZ is still doing well, even though I don't run it.

Comment

• Have our Kiwi chums gone into hibernation?

If anyone is about, did anyone see the U20's rugby between your boys and South Africa on Sunday? Bejeebus they must feed they bokkas some red meat looking at the size of um....

Comment

• it is too cold right now to type lol I missed the U20 game. the test on last Saturday was worse with the poms. we caught the last half when we went to the pub on sat night. we wont discuss that try the video ref awarded. other than that it is the same old day in paradise. less tourists, the sealions have all gone somewhere off shore thankfully. back up to 90kgs still on the deadlift. 3 reps today. I could have prob lifted more but I didn't. backed off a bit on the reverse hack squat from 120 - 100 kgs as I get more depth with 100kgs. I also have been getting well into my kneeling squats. 3 sets of 20 @ 60kgs. makes a huge diff to running in sand.

Comment

• It might well be cold down your way, Seas, but you are doing everything possible to stay warm.

as for me, I piked the tramping two weeks in a row because it's been wet. I must be getting soft.

All my little chickies have returned to the next (very very briefly, like - three days ) So I cooked a primal dinner and stuffed them to the brim, lol.
                        Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• get a decent hunting jacket A. we had a week about 5 yrs ago where it rained all week and was vile. that did it for me. I take a two pronged approach. either I wear as little as I can get away with to ward off the cold and then have a very hot shower when I get home and put dry clothes on. that is for short trips. or for long ones, the decent hunting jacket works. you will have the same issue I have tho. have to get the extra small mens and then try them all on as often the pockets are way too low. I have a camo hunting and fishing shearwater and a lighter weight under armour camo one. both pack down real small. I prefer hunting gear to tramping gear as hunting you do in all directions, over hills and under bushes and you have to do everything from sprinting to sitting still for hours and a lot in between.

I was on my personal trainer's page today about to deadlift 90kgs on the bar and I had my little fingerless merino gloves on G gave me lol looks so funny.

Comment

• there was a hard frost here this morning. beautiful still sunny day now. there was frost on the sand on the track to the beach as it is in a sort of dip. there was even a bit of frost on some of the bits of driftwood. once we got out of the shadow of the hills tho, it was warm as. I cant wait for the summer to return and hopefully we will get one this year!

Comment

• Brr. That sounds cold but beautiful. I'm used to milder winters here in the Naki and nearly froze my fingers off in Taupo this morning. Ice on the windscreen after parking outside overnight - I wasn't expecting that!
                              Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• Originally posted by seaweed View Post
                                it is too cold right now to type lol I missed the U20 game. the test on last Saturday was worse with the poms. we caught the last half when we went to the pub on sat night. we wont discuss that try the video ref awarded. other than that it is the same old day in paradise. less tourists, the sealions have all gone somewhere off shore thankfully. back up to 90kgs still on the deadlift. 3 reps today. I could have prob lifted more but I didn't. backed off a bit on the reverse hack squat from 120 - 100 kgs as I get more depth with 100kgs. I also have been getting well into my kneeling squats. 3 sets of 20 @ 60kgs. makes a huge diff to running in sand.
                                We definitely won't mention Saturday's fiasco, I will say though that Englands first half display was woeful, and the AB's certainly put some pace on the pill, that weren't hard though the way we were defending!

A bit chilly down your way then, I take it....as Annie says, you ain't going to get cold lugging that sort of iron around....

Comment

Working...
                                X