No announcement yet.

Our own little Kiwi Thread !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welcome kiwisk8girl! my versions of primal have morphed lots over the years but i still avoid grains and industrial vege oils and eat real food. i also struggle to say i eat high carb as i always think of carbs as wheat and pasta and rice. none of which i eat. i prob eat high fruit and tubers. then the rest meat, eggs, veges and dairy. with a bit of gelatin thrown in.

what sort of dogs and horse do you have? i have a vizsla and my middle dd has a small fat spotty pony who we call a horse. she thinks she's a horse too!

big day today. i cut up the 6 back legs with assistance yesterday. took pushing 17kgs of venison to the butcher for sausages and mince. i've probably kept as much in roasts and steaks. got the back straps, fillets and 5 front legs to do over the weekend. gym day too. i finally deadlifted 100kgs. no belt and double overhand grip. barefoot too. woohoo!!!!!!!

Comment

• tell you what, guys, I really, really miss NZ.

I wanted to look at some of DS's baby pictures and videos, and so many are from NZ (since we moved there when he was 18 months and left when he was 5)! I basically tortured myself.

*sigh*

Comment

• Hi all, and welcome Kiwisk8girl.
        Zoes - you can always come back !!!!!!

well its taken me most of this week to get back into some sort of routine. I cant believe how our wee flight to Perth and back mucked up our circadian rhythms so much. On sunday I am hosting a hunter gatherer BBQ, which should be fun. The place looks a mess, as I can't mow the lawns, or garden due to the rain, rain and more rain. Never mind, we can crank up the outside fire, and stay snug and warm in the wee BBQ house.
        I think that we have about 20 people coming. - should be fun.
        I need to go and bucket out the spa pool, and then refill and heat this morning, so I will be getting a wee bit of exersize in !!!!!!
        anyway troups hope you are all well and fighting fit
        G x
        "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• To visit, yes. But I can't really come back to stay until I'm a millionaire or something. And then, why would i, as I'd have to pay taxes in two countries on my millions?

Anyway, I'm planning a visit for 2015 -- to do some teaching/workshops and stuff.

Comment

• Hi Seaweed,

We have a pomeranian and a chihuahua, and at the other extreme a 17hh hanoverian cross mare. She sometimes thinks that she is a pony and should be able to lean on you while you scratch her. I wonder if I can work 600kg horse presses into my workouts?:-)

I mainly focus on the whole food aspect of the diet as well. I started off very low carb and it didn't work so well for me so I eat potato and kumara and fruit as well.

Congratulations on dealing with so much venison! We just had three pigs butchered and our freezer is pretty full. We'll all be eating pork for a very long time.

Gwamma - Your BBQ sound super fun! I'm going to try and get DH to help me build an outside fireplace this autumn. I love the thought of sitting around a big fire, all rugged up on a winter evening.

Comment

• G i have more venison than i know what to do with. Pity i wasnt closer or we could bbq some bambi. we have 6 back straps to eat thru this weekend so i may be co-incidentally VLCing for a few days.

220 odd kgs of fat spotty pony would be enough to press, let alone 600kgs. she broke my toe once jumping on it. i would be doing body weight circus tricks with a 600kg horse. my middle daughter used to stand on her other pony while he walked around. he was awesome. i miss him so much. little fat spotty is way more grouchy but still adorable in a very non disney way.

i take it you are talking domestic pigs? i try to avoid finding wild pigs on my missions out the boonies. the dog really doesnt like wild pigs. he will tell you they are there but he's not volunteering to go find them any time soon. he also wont eat pork unless it is cooked. and then it rapidly comes out of one or other end. so yeah. much as i like a bit of wild pork, i cant stand the waste so i dodge. altho right now our hawks are so hungry. i put some venison leg bones out on the compost heap for them as the dog wont get thru all of them. i have had 2 hawks all day yesterday and today on the bones eating them. such beautiful birds. the hawks would eat wild pig bones.

Comment

• Yeah, we had a domestic cross bred porker and 2 Kunes. It was our first experiment with keeping pigs and Im not sure I'll go through the hassle again. They certainly cleared out the area I'm going to use as my veggie garden for the next year or so! We also spent hours chasing them through Featherston as piglets when they got out of their sty. I've just finished doing the rounds of neighbours dropping off roasts and chops to make up for the garden trampling back in October.

We have a hawk that lives on the dairy farm next door. It's great to see him soaring around. I'm not sure about luring him closer though in case he takes a liking to my chickens.

Comment

• lol kiwis8girl Love getting the wildlife to do the weeding, but maybe chickens could cope now the pigs have done the hard yards. Are you planting anything now? i put in some sugar snap peas yesterday, and I'm wondering what else to fit in the gaps round the place.
                  Annie Ups the Ante
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• i always worry about getting too attached to pigs and ending up having to keep them. which is why i prefer to hunt. that way i dont personally know the animal. hawks, as in kahu, dont attack chickens that i have ever heard of but the karerarea do. pukeko attack chicks too. not to mention stoats and weasels. i saw a stoat or a weasel with a skink in its mouth running across the road on the way to the beach yesterday. they are nasty.

Comment

• I absolutely agre Seas - stoats, weasels, ferrets are all nasty and should be banned from this earth !!!!!!!!

I used to have a Kune kune called Priscilla petunia. Absolutely delightful pig, however VERY DESTRUCTIVE !!!!!!! especially at 200+kg and built like a brick sh-t house !!!!!!!!!

Gardens done, back bloody sore, spa emptied, filled and turned on, youngest is moving out over the weekend, along with the other two pilots that have been living with us - i am gonna miss them lot !!!!!!!
                      Managed to find, pumpkin, beetroot, carrots, potatoes and mint in my wee vege garden, so I will make something for our shared primal lunch on sunday. Maybe some roast veges ???? I also think it would be nice to make some of my yummy mint mayo. Then I will grab some of Marybella out of the freezer (however I refuse to eat her), and thats me sorted for the BBQ
                      Come monday and its pack the boat for our next big adventure.
                      Gwamma could write a book !!!!!!!

...small steps....

Comment

• I also think it would be nice to make some of my yummy mint mayo. Then I will grab some of Marybella out of the freezer (however I refuse to eat her),
                        what was i just saying about prefering not to know the animals i eat! altho i would still rather eat an animal i knew, that had had a good life and been home killed than something that had been through the works.

over run with venison here. i need to buy a freezer!

Comment

• Have a super party, Gwamma. I am envious of your big adventure. And Seas, I am envious of your meat surplus.
                          Annie Ups the Ante
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• thanx Annie - I think that we are all envious of Seas meat surplus!

...small steps....

Comment

• Originally posted by seaweed View Post
                              over run with venison here. i need to buy a freezer!
                              Or... You could box some up and send it northwards, just saying. I'd happily pay for the freight
                              If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                              If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

• i dont know how it travels in a box. i do know people who send it to the salami maker at basecamp up north but they use special freezer boxes. i have 5 legs to chop up later. kids want vegetarian quiche for dinner. total contradiction. i will have venison fillet and the veges that go in the quiche.

Comment

Working...
                                X