Our own little Kiwi Thread !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seaweed View Post
    we went in at akaroa harbour on our way up north on the fishing boat when I went away tuna fishing a few years back. we got followed in by a pod of hector's dolphins. totally unreal as they all had scars all across their back and I so wondered why they made a bee line for the boat and the surfed along with us right next to the prow. one of the old farmers here told me when I got home that they get high on the oxygen bubbles from the boat which must be the only rational reason as they were definitely on a mission. and that G is incredibly impressive. Swimming in the ocean, even a harbour, is way harder than swimming in a pool and I reckon a lot of people half his age couldn't manage it, let alone in that time! way to go!!!

I acquired me a proper BBQ today off my neighbour who is leaving the country. OMG it has gas burners and hot plates and well. no more cooking on the fire if I want to BBQ at home! I have to make the kids roast pork for dinner as they wanted it but we're having BBQ for the rest of the week. recipes welcome.
    mmmmmmm grilled meat..... gas grills are ok, the flavor is good, but meat cooked over a wood fire or charcoal tastes soooo much better.... it is a much bigger bother, but I prefer wood grilled meats....

as far a recipes go, I am a simple man (some say simple minded, but hey, whatever) Simple, as it salt pepper and garlic. Done. Salt the meat about 20-30 minutes before cooking to let it pull a bit of moisture out of the meat and the salt infuse, and chuck it on the grill.... I use Lawry's season salt, but sea salt or fine kosher salt works well too.....

cooking things low and slow, for me, takes a dry rub.... when I do a brisket I use brown sugar, chili powder, garlic, salt pepper maybe a little dry mustard powder. you could do that to ribs as well.... and then there is wood smoke... oak or hickory is what I normally use, different eats like different things.... pork likes cherry, apple, pecan... chicken can take fruit woods, but nut tree woods work well too. Sausages, I would use oak or hickory on.... Some folks like their smoke thiiiick, some like it with just a touch... I am in the heavier camp, personally...

Comment

• yumm!!! it has been too windy and nasty out here by the time we get to the evening to bbq anything. I prefer food cooked over a fire to everything. I do usually use drift wood LOL so not very technical and I cant tell you what it is as it washes up. I don't get that much op to go cook at the beach these days. the weather has been bad, the kids are too old to want to haul down the beach in the middle of the night, the man is a townie ( I know! ) for the smoker I think I've usually used manuka sawdust. manuka is a native scrub tree. a primary coloniser. Manuka/kahikatoa and kanuka: Native plants I think I am more in the heavy smoke camp too.

when I do a brisket I use brown sugar, chili powder, garlic, salt pepper maybe a little dry mustard powder. you could do that to ribs as well.... and then there is wood smoke... oak or hickory is what I normally use, different eats like
      I haven't a show of getting any venison ribs. the last few I tried I didn't really like. and the dog will monster an entire rib cage and spine overnight so I cant deprive him. that is also quite a feat as they have a soft mouth. I may see if I can find some free range pork ribs as my youngest likes them. brisket is just a lump of meat? I have 4 large lumps of venison of the back leg of the deer that I left whole.

Comment

• Originally posted by seaweed View Post
        yumm!!! it has been too windy and nasty out here by the time we get to the evening to bbq anything. I prefer food cooked over a fire to everything. I do usually use drift wood LOL so not very technical and I cant tell you what it is as it washes up. I don't get that much op to go cook at the beach these days. the weather has been bad, the kids are too old to want to haul down the beach in the middle of the night, the man is a townie ( I know! ) for the smoker I think I've usually used manuka sawdust. manuka is a native scrub tree. a primary coloniser. Manuka/kahikatoa and kanuka: Native plants I think I am more in the heavy smoke camp too.

I haven't a show of getting any venison ribs. the last few I tried I didn't really like. and the dog will monster an entire rib cage and spine overnight so I cant deprive him. that is also quite a feat as they have a soft mouth. I may see if I can find some free range pork ribs as my youngest likes them. brisket is just a lump of meat? I have 4 large lumps of venison of the back leg of the deer that I left whole.
        What is beef brisket? Brisket cuts.

Comment

• ah I make venison sausages with that bit if I get it as it is one of the only fatty bits on a deer or i give it to the dog he does get incredibly spoilt but, since he almost costs as much as a small child to feed, it is cost effective for me to give him the venison we get. it is also his target prey species.

quiet day today. I am still teaching my 13 yr old to drive. we've been off roading thru paddocks out the back of the beach and also a bit of gravel driving. gym day tomorrow which I am very much looking forward to. as ever.

Comment

• Gwamma, your dad is so cool! Congrats also on your weight loss - you rock, and you'd be one sexy awesome Gwamma whether skinny, normal, or pudgy!
            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Hi Guys, thanx for the good wishes, and yes my father is one awesome man !!!!!!!! Welcome back J - you have been very much missed !!!!!! Hope it was a man this time !!!!!!!
              and I am sorry for being AWOL - again.....
              ................... lots of newz, where to start........... another couple of kilos down, so Its averaged 1kg per week.
              only 23kg to go !!!!!!!!
              Eldest had her 18 week scan today and we are expecting a wee grand-daughter this time - very exciting
              Youngest was meant to have her private pilot license practical today, but I am hoping that due to the weather it will have been postponed.
              Monday I fly to Kerikeri for the week. DH is meant to be coming as well, but he has been a little off lately, so I am not too concerned if he stays here !!!!!!!!
              and finally tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya tomorrow, your only a day away...................... tomorrow I am going into Christchurch to meet up with a bunch of canterbury primals, including That Paleo guy.
              I am so excited !!!!!!!!

hugs to everyone
              G x
              "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• G, that is so much exciting news!!!

Yay for weight loss, granddaughter on the way, trip to kerikeri and especially primal meeting - that should be a brilliant experience, I wish I could join you. Sorry your dh doesn't sound too great, a break will be nice for you. And best wishes to youngest for her test. Great to hear from you again.
                Annie Ups the Ante
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Annieh View Post
                  G, that is so much exciting news!!!

Yay for weight loss, granddaughter on the way, trip to kerikeri and especially primal meeting - that should be a brilliant experience, I wish I could join you. Sorry your dh doesn't sound too great, a break will be nice for you. And best wishes to youngest for her test. Great to hear from you again.
                  Ditto G
                  If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                  If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

• triple ditto G! way to go!

raining cats and dogs here. I have the fire on. it is like the dead of winter. the horse is all rugged up. ugh! where is the sun.

Comment

• Another ditto here, too . Weight loss, a baby girl - awesome stuff. I've had some email messages with Jamie - he seems like a really nice guy. Can't wait til you can report back!!

I'm off to a busy greyhound weekend, doing several events up here for National awareness week. Hoping to get some donations, so wish me luck!!
                      Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• You behave on the trip G...... don't go gettin all "primal" on the Primal Guy... lol.....Good news in all of the other areas too! gotta love family additions!

Comment

• well what a delightful bunch of people.
                          I met that Paleo guy, and his SO - she is a Doctor, met a pharmacist, a really fit guy who does parkour????? and a whole heap of other amazing people. The hour was over in minutes it seemed. Anyway I have invited them all to my cave for a primal BBQ, so hopefully before this weather gets too cold !!!!!!!
                          I have just made some primal goodies, and am off to see a movie with a friend. Its a Bette Midler one. Can't wait, but that might mean two BIG NITES OUT in a row !!!!!!! tsk tsk Gwamma !!!!!!!!!

oh and the wee grand-daughter is going to be named George (Georgia long hand !!!!!) - very exciting

...small steps....

Comment

• which parkour guy did you meet? I might actually know him. . .

I got NZ lamb today. . . OMG. I over ate and now have the most horrible tummy ache. Still, it was delicious.

Comment

• Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                              which parkour guy did you meet? I might actually know him. . .

I got NZ lamb today. . . OMG. I over ate and now have the most horrible tummy ache. Still, it was delicious.
                              I have forgotten his name Zoes, and he did come from wellington recently. Hopefully I will meet him again, and work out his name. Sorry but I am shit at remembering anymore than one name at a time !!!!!!!!!

...small steps....

Comment

• my buddy Rowan is walking the length of NZ with his friend -- I think his friend got injured, though. So, I think he's going solo for a bit.

he's tall and blond and really, really nice.

Comment

Working...
                                X