No announcement yet.

Our own little Kiwi Thread !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm loving the feeling of doing heavy lifting (heavy for me, anyway ) and the fluidity of the kb swings is appealing. Clubbells are appealing too.

seas, this is the exercise http://cdn.vogue.com.au/media/articl...401-1_asl.jpg? but now that I've seen what you're doing, that looks far more intense.
    Last edited by Jac; 02-03-2014, 07:43 PM. Reason: found a better picture!
    Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• yeah I just don't like kbs. clubbells I love. try doing the glute bridge on the floor and hold the contraction at the top for 5. then lower all the way down and back up again. once that is easy, do it on one leg at a time. I do mine to stretch out my hip flexors.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lizzielou View Post
        Bloody fonterra! It's the only thing going for them and they should be spending their money promoting their pasture raised milk products. But no, instead they go and ruin it and bow to the mass produced powers that tell them more is better and nothing about quality. I go to a particular supermarket just to buy my meadow fresh and anchor milk products because I know they are pasture raised. My normal supermarket doesn't even stock NZ milk, and we are talking an entire isle of UHT milk that comes from Aus, Netherlands etc, if we are going to compete with that lot we need to find our niche - which I would hope is pasture fed cows.

Feeling rather ranty tonight!
        Add me to that rant!!!!!
        Annie Ups the Ante
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• Add me to that rant!!!!!
          I don't have the energy to think about it right now. but yuck! the mere thought of cows and sheep in feedlots is so strange. farms with no visible animals.

Comment

• gymed it this avo. another one of those i thought i didn't really try that hard till i had to walk down the stairs and drive around after LOL i managed 100kg on the weighted glute bridge for 10 reps. i did all sorts of lunges with big dumbbells. different deadlifts and bench press and various squats. we did a pyramid too. 10,15,20,15,10 reps of each for the cable cross overs, the stiff arm pushdowns and the abwheel in rotation. then i had to somehow concentrate on doing the shopping and talking to the kids and driving miles home. i am very pleased it is Waitangi day tomorrow so i can just walk the dog and chill out.

Comment

• You deserve to chill out after all that.
              Annie Ups the Ante
              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• "Weight Training Workout - The Glute Bridge With Barbell - YouTube "
                That is not a bridge :-) that is like doing a push up or a plank with your knees on the floor.
                A bridge goes from head to the feet. And an advance one goes from the hands to the feet - with the hands held beside the head in the starting position :-)
                It takes a strong neck to do a proper bridge

Comment

• I think it's a semantic difference. we call it a weighted glute bridge coz that is what everyone else does. glute bridges also work primarily the glutes and the hip flexors. unlike a plank on the knees vs a proper plank. they are not an easier version of what you call a bridge. they are a totally different exercise with a similar name.

Comment

• Originally posted by seaweed View Post
                    I think it's a semantic difference. we call it a weighted glute bridge coz that is what everyone else does. glute bridges also work primarily the glutes and the hip flexors. unlike a plank on the knees vs a proper plank. they are not an easier version of what you call a bridge. they are a totally different exercise with a similar name.
                    Kinda agree, but unweighted they're also an initial progression before you move into a bridge with your hands on a wall about waist height (or higher if needed), then reducing the height until your hands are in the floor. As you get more flexible you bring your handsI closer to your feet.

I wouldn't see a bridge using your head as a bridge progression for most people, as it's less about you shoulder or thoracic flexibility and more about neck strength, but also. I've seen this mainly used by fighters, especially for grappling like bjj and wrestling as you are often holding your opponent with your hands so you need to beside using your head/neck to make space to move into and get out from under the opponent. I'd actually say this is more closely related to the glute bridge with your shoulders in the ground as I find I use them both for the same purpose when grappling.
                    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

• Kinda agree, but unweighted they're also an initial progression before you move into a bridge with your hands on a wall about waist height (or higher if needed), then reducing the height until your hands are in the floor. As you get more flexible you bring your handsI closer to your feet.
                      I guess it simply hadn't occurred to me that a glute bridge would be a progression towards full body bridge! I've always done them from the pure body building angle to exercise the glutes and the hip flexors. actually I just looked in my pushing the limits book and he calls them beginners bridges. I think the difference is we do it in motion. push hold and down. it's a moving exercise not a static hold. so you are pushing the weight upwards with the prime reason to exercise the glutes. the position just happens to be the same so the name gets confusing as we are comparing apples and oranges.

Comment

• Originally posted by seaweed View Post
                        I guess it simply hadn't occurred to me that a glute bridge would be a progression towards full body bridge! I've always done them from the pure body building angle to exercise the glutes and the hip flexors. actually I just looked in my pushing the limits book and he calls them beginners bridges. I think the difference is we do it in motion. push hold and down. it's a moving exercise not a static hold. so you are pushing the weight upwards with the prime reason to exercise the glutes. the position just happens to be the same so the name gets confusing as we are comparing apples and oranges.
                        Yeah. Starting to see more guys in bjj/mma doing it like you do to add more power to There bridging on the matt to enable them to displace their opponents more easily.
                        If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

• Convict Conditioning has a great (in my novice opinion) progression for the bridge.

Comment

• And Bret Contreras, Bodyweight Strength Training Anatomy, he's also got this book out....Ought to post it in the booty thread as well....

Comment

• Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                              And Bret Contreras, Bodyweight Strength Training Anatomy, he's also got this book out....Ought to post it in the booty thread as well....
                              A fine tome, I must say....

Comment

• hi guys,
                                Gwamma is back from her teeny weeny holiday. DHs phone did not stop ringing, so, so much for a break.......... however it was lovely catching up with friends in Kaiteretere, and then we came the long way home. so back inot irrigation, weeding the garden, cooking for all our wee boarders etc.......
                                life is just one big roller coaster !!!!!!!!!!!
                                my new whole 30 seems to be truckin along okay. I am not quite adhering to the rules, more making up my own as I go along. so am about day......hmmmmmm, I might have to think about that LOL !!!!!!!!!
                                "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

Working...
                                X