No announcement yet.

Our own little Kiwi Thread !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you folks see the story in the herald last week about Fonterra trying to move to "indoor farming" for dairy cattle?

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti...ectid=11193262
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

• missed the cow story. ugh.

the thing that worries me about kettlebell swings with a heavy kb is the prospect of injury. my dog is maybe 30kgs now. and he is very strong. if I am out with him and I have him on a longer lead and he lunges at something exciting suddenly if my arm is already out, that much leverage at that angle is not good. i've pulled intercostal muscles and hurt my rotator cuff like that. so I may be totally wrong but swinging all that weight, just doesn't seem like a good plan to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Misabi View Post
        Did you folks see the story in the herald last week about Fonterra trying to move to "indoor farming" for dairy cattle?

Sue Kedgley: Keep our cows out of factory farms
        Nope.

Very upsetting, but thanks!
        Annie Ups the Ante
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• Ugh, that's a frightening story. I loathe that we take such good ways of doing things and change them to the worst of the international scene.

I spent ages on the internet this morning looking at kettlebells and dumbbells, and then I just closed it all down. Too much like hard work with that many choices. I like the idea of kb swings, but those get ups look horrifying. I couldn't do that even with no weights without seriously hurting myself. I need core strength first. The dumbbell adverts are stupid - '20kg dumbbells' with a total weight for postage of 20kgs. Uh - how does that work?? So it turns out to be a little UNDER 10kgs per dumbbell.

I have enough stuff here for the moment, so I'll wait and see what's needed as time goes on. Another gorgeous day here - I'm on holiday for 10 days from Waitangi day - going up to the Kaipara Harbour to stay at a bach there that allows dogs. Can't wait!
          Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• Some are saying it'll be good for the environment (and our clean Green image) by reducing the amount of effluent run off, but I think that's just something Fonterra are playing up to enable them more consistent milk supply. What do people think is going to happen with the pasture currently used for dairy farming?..

Seas, kb swings are very different from the force of being pulled by a big dog or even dead lifting the same weight, plus your stable and not walking in one direction with your dog pulling you in another. But that's not to say they're right for you with your history either. Definitely something to try with a light weight 1st if you are interested.

Jac I practiced the get ups with just a shoe balanced on my fist at first, then moved to a short piece of timber and more recently a rock that weighs about 4kg. You don't need to start heavy and just doing the movement unloaded would be great for your core strength and mobility
            If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

• one of the reasons I have gym membership is the amount of free weights they have. my gym is only $10/wk. I'd be looking at hundreds to get all the right size dumbbells just for me. the 20kg ones like that jac are usually made up with different weights and have collars to hold them on. my pair of 10kg dumbbells are proper 10kg dumbbells and I got them from elite for $60. all my other dumbbells I got off trademe for not more than $10 a pair. look up renegade rows too as a plank progression for core. I was trying to do some of them the other week at the gym with their kettlebells but they have too high and wobbly handles. what sorted my core out was a combo of the ab wheel, roman chair ab circles and weighted good mornings.

Misabi I have done kb swings before. my old gym used to have them when they were all the rage. the guy who worked there put kbs and bosu balls in everyone's program for a while. I like bosu balls but kbs didn't do it for me at all. maybe they just weren't heavy enough as they only went up to 12kgs too. I prefer doing clean and jerks or clean and split jerks with a barbell. definitely more bang for the buck there.

Comment

• Bloody fonterra! It's the only thing going for them and they should be spending their money promoting their pasture raised milk products. But no, instead they go and ruin it and bow to the mass produced powers that tell them more is better and nothing about quality. I go to a particular supermarket just to buy my meadow fresh and anchor milk products because I know they are pasture raised. My normal supermarket doesn't even stock NZ milk, and we are talking an entire isle of UHT milk that comes from Aus, Netherlands etc, if we are going to compete with that lot we need to find our niche - which I would hope is pasture fed cows.

Feeling rather ranty tonight!

Comment

• Hi lizzy
                  Are you saying that only anchor and meadow fresh milk is nz pasture fed cows Milk?
                  Sent from my GT-N5110 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

• Gollysmum LL is in brunei so she is talking about there I think.

Just did some BBY. first thing in the morning without food or coffee. ugh!

Jac you should look into BBY for home. I like it and it can be as hard as you make it. saves buying dumbbells in all the wrong sizes.

Comment

• Originally posted by seaweed View Post
                      Gollysmum LL is in brunei so she is talking about there I think.

Just did some BBY. first thing in the morning without food or coffee. ugh!

Jac you should look into BBY for home. I like it and it can be as hard as you make it. saves buying dumbbells in all the wrong sizes.
                      OK that even has Mr Google stumped . I'm getting quite a lot about stockbrokers, or it corrects me and gives me links about baby weights or baby exercises. I give up - what does it mean
                      Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• body by you! it's a book by mark lauren. Body by You The You are Your Own Gym Guide to Total Women's Fitness Books: Buy Online from Fishpond.co.nz

Comment

• I also have that book LL, and its great. I have just spoken to mum, and when we head up there in march i have told her that i aml gonna teach her some body weight exercises. She is 79 this year. Dad is a fit as a buck rabbit, so doesn't really need to add anything else into his exercise routine. However mum needs to start............ So i be the teacher !!!!!!!

I so hope fontera isn't going down the indoor feed lot track. However we primals are still a minority in NZ, so the masses will follow - guaranteed!!!!!

Okay back to packing and cleaning and getting the boat ready............ As you were
                          "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• Did my first workout on my own . Squats, bridges, planks, chest presses and more, lol. My biggest hurdle is always my head, and getting out of my comfort zone - which I did!

I looked at BBY and have wishlisted it on Amazon. I'll get it when I'm bored with what I'm doing. In the meantime I have to figure out how to make bridges harder - I wonder if it's my form, and I'm using other muscles to compensate?? I had my head on the swiss ball, and a 4kg medicine ball on my groin.

Anyway - pretty stoked. It's been 3 weeks now, of 1 hard workout every 6 days. I can step it up by at least a day, though, without compromising rest and recovery. I'm sure I can feel a difference, but it seems too soon.
                            Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Comment

• I am trying to picture how you do a bridge? I do glute bridges with the barbell. except I do 80kgs, it looks like he's only doing 60!

Weight Training Workout - The Glute Bridge With Barbell - YouTube

Comment

• Originally posted by seaweed View Post
                                Misabi I have done kb swings before. my old gym used to have them when they were all the rage. the guy who worked there put kbs and bosu balls in everyone's program for a while. I like bosu balls but kbs didn't do it for me at all. maybe they just weren't heavy enough as they only went up to 12kgs too. I prefer doing clean and jerks or clean and split jerks with a barbell. definitely more bang for the buck there.
                                Whatever works best for you
                                I prefer being able to just pick up something heavy whenever I feel like it and not have to fit time into a schedule to go to the gym before or after work. I don't usually get home until after 18:30, so fitting in feeding the animals, making dinner any other chores etc. It's just easier, for me. Plus I don't have to deal with other sweaty smelly folks, I get enough of that twice a week at my bjj class

Comment

Working...
                                X