Our own little Kiwi Thread !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling seaweed ....

I need a weights programme! Well, I would appreciate your thoughts on this plan, if you don't mind?

Based on the pb bodyweight plan, but with some extras built in. Kettlebell squats (ass to grass? The pt had me doing them from sitting, but that's not the full rom is it?), plank, bridge (weighted with the Kettlebell? ), chest press, lat pulldown, triceps with either the weight machine or the Kettlebell over my head when lying on the swiss ball, and biceps curls with the machine or Kettlebell.

I need to buy a Kettlebell tho, and probably more than one if I need different weights. Does this sound ok?

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• ......... Working out how to send kittens to RR........
      LL well done you on he 70 kgs. I can only dream of being that weight.........
      Jac, those weights sound great to start with, however lets wait for our little exercise guru to reply.......
      .......speaking of which.........someone might be having a "captured by aliens " moment, or weekend !!!!!!!! Hope he was cute Seas, that is if there was more than alcohol involved !!!!!!!!! LOL
      "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• LL try potato or kumara gnocchi instead of pasta.

Jac I am not a fan of kettlebells as I think they are relatively limiting. all you can really do with them that you cant do with a dumbbell is swings. I get way too bored doing swings and much prefer to do barbell or dumbbell compounds. plus they are incredibly expensive. this is of course my personal opinion. for the alternative to dumbbells, I prefer my clubbells.

goblet squats which is what I would call a kettlebell squat. hold it out in front of you and squat? you can do with a dumbbell. when you say do them from sitting, do you mean you sat on something, stood up and sat down again? full ROM is right down but a box is a good place to start and then progressively lower it.

I wouldn't weight a plank. just hold it till you can do it for 3 mins. do some side planks. tonnes of cool and nasty variations out there.

I do glute bridges with 80kg on the bar. if I had to do them at home, I would concentrate on holding them. if you are doing bridges for your butt, once you can do 3 sets of 20 and hold the last one for a count of 5 or something like that. start doing them on one leg and do either side.

chest press. wall pushups, knee pushups etc. work the same. or you can do barbell bench press or dumbbell bench press.

triceps, you can do bench dips off the edge of anything. or use a dumbbell or barbell and do skull crushers. or use a dumbbell and do tricep kick backs. pushups should do the biceps too but you can use dumbbells again or barbells.

I would do stiff arm pushdowns for the lats if you have access to a machine as they do both triceps and lats.

and LOL to getting captured by aliens. I have tried more than 3 times in as many days and I have been knobbled by small children who are way too straight for anyone's own good and lack of baby sitters. all very distressing as I have to work tomorrow so I cant disappear then! I am actually pretty well behaved G. there is only one man and he actually wasn't working this weekend for once.

Comment

• Hi seas. I was kind of hoping Gwamma was right, and you were holed up somewhere doing grown-up things .

I have to say I understood about 3 words in 5 of your advice . . . but here goes. I went to get a kettlebell and they didn't get heavy enough at Rebel. Might be just as well I came home without them!! I could get dumbells, and if I got the decent ones I could change the weights (rather than the pretty 4kg blue ones). I need to start with at least 12kgs.

Kettlebell squats were just squatting to pick one up, standing up, then putting it down again. I wasn't sitting on anything, but the goal was to get to around 90deg. I could go lower, and will aim to do that.

I haven't been weighting the plank - they're bloody hard as they are! Good advice to get up to 3 mins and then add some variations. Also I can aim to be on my toes - I can do about a minute on knees and only 20 seconds on toes!!

80kg bridges - holy shit woman . I'll stick to unweighted now, as you suggest. I'm off to google/youtube the rest of your post, lol.

Thanks so much!!
          Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• go to elite fitness Jac. their dumbbells are way cheaper than rebel. other option is trademe. I also have a barbell I can put up to 43kg on I got off trademe for $70. it has a pair of dumbbell rods and collars too.

I find upper body and overhead I am lots weaker than lower body. almost disproportionately so which does make it hard to work out what weights to get. as a rough guide. at home I have the barbell which I can load up to 43kg ( which is way too light), I have a pair of 10kgs, 6kgs, 5kgs and 3kg dumbbells. plus one of those nifty little colours 0.5,1,1.5 and 2kg pilates dumbbell sets. a pair of 6kg and a pair of 4kg clubbells and a 12kg Bulgarian bag. I have a 10kg weight vest too and a boxing bag.

I was kinda holed up for a while but it all gets too much with an obnoxious demanding and annoying 13 yr old to look after.

Comment

• Jac, compare prices with these guys: http://www.no1fitness.co.nz

They sometimes sell on trademe to. They've had a sale on this week and will probably have another for waitangi day if you can wait til then.

Also, if you can pick up from one of their showrooms it'll save shipping. Would've cost me $25 to have either my 16kg or 24kg kettlebells delivered.

I'll also recommend Pavel Tsatsouline's Simple & Sinister kettlebell workout. Just 2 exercises to it, swings and get ups, aiming to 100 swings in 5 mins and 5 x get ups on each side in 10 mins, so with rest and warm up you're looking at around 30 mins a workout.

He recommends a minimum of twice a week but aiming for 6 days per week taking additional rest days as needed.

You can buy the book, ebook or audio book here: http://www.strongfirst.com/kettlebel...-and-sinister/.

Our if you sign up for a trial with www.audible.com you can get the audio book for free ;-)
              If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
              If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

• Originally posted by Jac View Post
                I'm off to google/youtube the rest of your post, lol.
                lol, good idea Jac !
                Annie Ups the Ante
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• I'll also recommend Pavel Tsatsouline's Simple & Sinister kettlebell workout. Just 2 exercises to it, swings and get ups, aiming to 100 swings in 5 mins and 5 x get ups on each side in 10 mins, so with rest and warm up you're looking at around 30 mins a workout.
                  you see this probably is very effective but I would never have the self discipline to do something that boring. I could do it physically but I would find excuses lol

Comment

• Sigh......two meals in and my IBS flares up! Back on the strict GF diet tomorrow, it's so not worth eating wheat and suffering those consequences. The wine was well worth it however.

Comment

• Morning all, Gwamma head is screaming this morning. Very self inflicted, and yet another whole 30 debunked !!!!!!!
                      Anyhoo off to the gym. I will google these kettlebell exercises upon my return.............

...small steps....

Comment

• I don't do well either on whole 30s. I get twitchy at all the self righteousness. my nefarious habits keep me alive. I do pace myself with them and ya know. it is a fine balance. to suddenly give everything up is sorta almost puritanical and masochistic. since there is no restriction on how much you can eat either, it's not even really for losing weight. what would happen to me is I would be sweet for a couple of weeks, then binge out on nuts and dried fruit to compensate. or I would have to have a million cups of coffee with coconut milk a day coz I couldn't have milk in my coffee. last time I read the label on a can, coconut milk has as many calories as cream. LOL on fire for Monday morning. but yeah, you need to make lifestyle choices that are maintainable which I think is why primal works if you don't mess with it too much.

beaut day here. summer even. all the kids are back at school. I've walked the dog around the block in the sun and will take him to the beach later too.

Comment

• Wow page 500 !!!!!!!!!!!

...small steps....

Comment

• OMG it is too!!!! party time LOL

Comment

• Gorgeous day here too. Seas, althou very autumny on my way into the gym at 6am.
                              Am loving this PT, she really gets me doing things that i haven't done before and pushes me way beyond what i think that i am capable of doing.
                              So all good.
                              On weds we are heading up to kaiteretere for a couple of nights. Taking the jet boat, so should be fun !!!!!!!!

...small steps....

Comment

• Originally posted by seaweed View Post
                                you see this probably is very effective but I would never have the self discipline to do something that boring. I could do it physically but I would find excuses lol
                                Lol yeah, we'll see how long I stock with it. I suffer badly from fuckarounditis

It is what it says it is though, simple and Sinister. The idea is that as a beginner you stay with two handed swings, then progress to 1 handed (still 'just' doing 100 swings total and aiming for 5 mins) which adds an anti rotation of the torso aspect to them, then when you "own" the exercise and are really doing 100 swings in 5 mins you step up to the next size kb.

I throw in a few pullups I the evening just for good measure.
                                I've only just got back into it after a couple of weeks of due to a back injury (not KB related), but I could notice the difference after doing it for a couple of weeks (and that was just the swings really, as I didn't have a weight I could lift for the get ups), so I'm looking forward to see what the next 6 weeks does.

I'm starting with 16kg for the get ups and 24kg on the two handed swings, as I can only manage a couple of one handed swings at a time at that weight now. Actually I might try doing all one handed with the 16 today and see how that goes.
                                If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                                If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Working...
                                X