Our own little Kiwi Thread !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seaweed View Post
    yeah I think if you stop and think about it properly it is not worth getting hysterical about. I love oysters too and I eat them raw.
    Hnnng I haven't had oysters since July 2012. I introduced my then boyfriend to them. Kid lived in Hawaii and New England and had never eaten an oyster before. He loved them Rockefeller but about died when I ordered some from an oyster bar. He wasn't excepting them to come out RAW. Hehe more for me.

Comment

• Raw oysters! Yum. I lived in a little town that used to give the locals a treat after the tourists had all gone home - $1.99 for a dozen raw on a half shell. That was a lot of years ago, so I'm sure it's more now, but still, that was a heck of a price. My ex and I would eat there every other night when they were doing the special. They made it up on the alcohol (Dumpster Punch - tastes like lemonade, hits like a hammer) for sure, and engendered goodwill to the community.

Lizzielou, how are you feeling? Hope your pain is gone.
      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Hi Annie
        I did some research as knew the same old low Cal diet wasn't working for me anymore and the paleo made the most sense to me. I don't lose weight easily now in my late forties and had gained 9 kilos in the last 6 months due to traveling away for work and living on processed foods. My addiction to sugar and overeating was rampant and I had no control anymore. Mark Sisson books and website pointed me here and the forum helps with educating me further and supports my resolve. I want to lose another ten kilos if possible and want to be healthy and full of energy. What's your story and how's u r successes going?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

• Hi everyone . Gollysmum, I live close to Hamilton and spend lots of time in Tauranga because my Mum lives there. I used to live in the Mount, too, a very long time ago.

My grandfather used to get oysters off local rocks by the bucketful, then squat next to the bucket with his pocketknife and eat them by the dozen! He never convinced me to have them raw. And just because that's where my head is at the moment, I have to say that he squatted - really hunkered down on his heels - whenever he gardened, cleaned, worked on engines, and ate raw oysters, right up until he was in his 80s. I never thought anything of it, but now I think that was amazing.

I have some DOMS from my trainer session on Wednesday - all good . This time my triceps started with the screaming thing on the same day, so they're really painful now. I'm so hungry though! The best thing about this experiment with exercise is that I think it's the first time in my life that I've ever exercised deliberately and not also tried to reduce calories and pile on the cardio. My recovery is soooo much better than I ever thought it could be, and I feel good. That in itself is a hell of a success story, lol.

Another gorgeous day up here - and I'll spend most of it inside on the computer. Sigh. Weekend tomorrow!
          Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• The best thing about this experiment with exercise is that I think it's the first time in my life that I've ever exercised deliberately and not also tried to reduce calories and pile on the cardio. My recovery is soooo much better than I ever thought it could be, and I feel good. That in itself is a hell of a success story, lol.
            this just makes it sooo much better. my triceps hurt if I do bench dips. I can do all sorts of other tricep exercises but bench dips always kill them the next day. poss coz I hate them so I only ever do them occasionally. skull crushers are so much more fun to do and it is way cooler to wave big dumbbells around than do very unglamorous body weight raising and lowering between benches.

beaut day here too and ditto on the stuck inside staring at a computer. I didn't even get to run the dog first thing as my middle one had to go back to school so I didn't have time.

Comment

• Oysters, school and squirrels............. The things that i have missed
              "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• you can definitely keep the squirrels. school I only do if they are minding my kids for me. oysters. well what is not to love?!

Comment

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post

Lizzielou, how are you feeling? Hope your pain is gone.
                  Still sore, like really sore. I'm beginning to wonder if I've done something bad/semi permanent to my lower back. Thinking about seeing the dr next week, it's Chinese New Year today and tomorrow so nothing's open, but I'm getting low on pain killers of course. It's hard trying to get pain killers here, the dr can only give me a prescription for 6 at a time, which doesn't last long, but I can get another 6 of another sort (which make me dizzy and tired) direct from the pharmacy. Ibuprofen I can only buy from the army garrison shop, but I'm needing stronger stuff at the moment. Trying to keep moving gently around home so that things don't seize up on me, no gym this week.

Comment

• LL, could you try some deep heat or similar?????? But pain for any length of time is usually an indication that something is amiss....... So I agree, get thyself to thy doctor!!!!!!!! And in the interim - rest

...small steps....

Comment

• Originally posted by gollysmum View Post
                      Hi Annie
                      I did some research as knew the same old low Cal diet wasn't working for me anymore and the paleo made the most sense to me. I don't lose weight easily now in my late forties and had gained 9 kilos in the last 6 months due to traveling away for work and living on processed foods. My addiction to sugar and overeating was rampant and I had no control anymore. Mark Sisson books and website pointed me here and the forum helps with educating me further and supports my resolve. I want to lose another ten kilos if possible and want to be healthy and full of energy. What's your story and how's u r successes going?

Hi there, I agree the way Mark explains this way of eating just makes so much sense to me. About two years ago I resolved that I would make a serious effort to address my health. Despite eating what I thought was a generally healthy diet although obviously too much of it, I knew I was overweight, unfit and just generally not feeling good about myself (now I would describe it as bloated and sluggish but I didn't really realise that then). I had no excuses, two daughters were left home, the other at school all day, my dh supporting us and I finally actually DID have time for myself.

So I joined a gym, and started some weights and group classes. One day (June 2012, I remember because it was so significant) the gym posted a link to a member who had lost a lot of weight, I clicked and found that she had followed Primal Blueprint. Many more clicks later I had read everything I could on this site and was convinced it was worth a try.

I could NOT BELIEVE the almost instant effect that changing to this way of eating made. All of a sudden I felt lighter, stronger (I was already exercising but the diet change made a much more dramatic difference), happier and IN CONTROL. The weight was falling off, and I soon reached my goal and even a little below it, but now that is absolutely secondary to how I feel.

While I do succumb at times to the odd pineapple lump, etc, I really don't think I will ever drift far from primal because I love both the food and the way it makes me feel. So many problems I didn't know I had have disappeared - insomnia and mood swings in particular. The awful blood sugar highs and lows don't happen now (well they do if I eat sugar, but mostly I don't do that any more as I have found a better way to feed myself).

I could go on, but that's enough for now. There's more in my journals about my food and activities.
                      Annie Ups the Ante
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• Wow great story! It's great to hear how successful people are and it's really inspiring. It's so important to have control of your eating and I too feel I have that now.

Comment

• Hi guys,
                          Busy saturday, down on the farm- let!!!!!!!
                          Two dead sheep this morning. Not sure if its palpy kidney???? Or if they have eaten spmething poisonous. I have no idea???????
                          Kittens are wreaking havoc on my garage..... Time to go !!!!!!! Who wants one???? And i will throw the other three in for free!!!!! LOL
                          Am feeling really tired this afternoon, however i have so much to do. Tomorrow night we are having a BBQ with a group of jetboaters. We are wanting to organise a trip up the Hollyford river. Its a real adventure way down south. Half way along the river is a set of rapids, that the helicopter has to lift all the boats up. Lots of deer as well, so hopefully a bit of hunting too.
                          Anyway we need ro have a meeting to organise said trip, and yep its around my campfire.

...small steps....

Comment

• Sounds like a very busy time Gwamma. Would love to take those kitties off your hands but I'm pretty sure the two Bruneian brothers we've adopted might get a little jealous.

Getting stuck into the rain forest venison these last two days. Unfortunately we were given 'mystery meat' so cannot identify which part of the beast we are cooking. I thawed out 2kg yesturday and then a friend, who I bake bread for, dropped over another 500g in the evening. That's a lot of meat to get through! I stir fried yesturday, then pan fried strips for lunch, think I might casserole for dinner tonight. It's fairly tender meat, not lovely fillet steak, but I've eaten tougher beef rump from our supermarket.

Last day of whole 30 today! Well actually I do have to admit that tomorrow is exactly the four week mark, so it will be 28 days tomorrow. We are having a roast lunch with some friends tomorrow, and I am so very over whole 30 I've decided that I will be having wine, and lots of it. We have a BBQ dinner with friends also planned for Monday night, so it's time to give it up. I consider it completed though, just wish I could have lost a wee bit more weight as the scales have been sitting on exactly 70kg for the best part of the week.

Hopefully I'll continue with a bit more weight loss over the next while if I am strict with myself and follow Primal.

Comment

• I'd love a kitten or five Gwamma! But I don't think the barracks manager would be okay with it... Though the whole place already smells kind of funny and apparently my room is one of the cleanest, so maybe they'll never know?!

It's day one of my Whatever30. I WANT CHOCOLATE. I think maybe I gimped myself by saying no nuts, but really I just subbed it with alcohol so WHOOOOO.

That and it's the bar's anniversary. I'm bringing whiskey and five pounds of lemons and limes.

Comment

• Originally posted by RittenRemedy View Post

It's day one of my Whatever30. I WANT CHOCOLATE.
                                Oh lord I've been craving pasta today, which is really bizarre given that the last time I ate pasta was some time in 2003 (gives me horrible diarrhoea!). I was googling venison casserole recipes this morning and came across a pic of venison goulash with homemade pasta, and that was it. All I've been able to think about all friggin day. Just got to make it until lunchtime tomorrow.........

Comment

Working...
                                X