No announcement yet.

Our own little Kiwi Thread !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• we put the padded bit from 2 bars around it but it didn't do much good. I am thinking of something as it is painful and offputting when you are trying to bridge. it would possibly help if there was some fat over the bone. if I don't get exercise time, it gets ugly very quickly.

Comment

• Anyone got a sure fire cure for hamstring cramp/pain/strain?

Been like this for three days now, not sure what I've done or if it's maybe diet related? Just got this dull ache above but behind my right knee and it's soooooo annoying, bugging me all night. Today it's even there during my run. Thought maybe it was a bit of electrolyte imbalance so I've been taking Magnesium supplements, but no joy - doubled the dose this morning just in case. Wondering if it's maybe sciatica, but doesn't feel like that severe stabbing pain I had when I was pregnant and had sciatica. It's very similar to a restless legs feeling, just isolated to the one spot. Stretching gives me barely a moments relief, it's aching even at rest like while sitting and in bed.

Comment

• stiff legged deadlifts. i get one hammy hurting where it hits my butt. I've been doing stiff legged deads with a relatively light weight ( 30kgs ) on a step so it is like a weighted stretch. it's been helping. i am always gentle and take lots of care not to aggravate the situation with them.

Comment

• Yeah I think my hammy's are in poor shape in general, I know they are hopelessly tight when it comes to yoga. Will see about doing some sort of modified weighted stretch with my kettle bell this morning. Just have to go bake bread then hit the fruit and vege market......

Comment

• Lizzielou, have you tried rolling your legs? An incredibly painful experience in my world and something that is long overdue, but it may give you either relief or more information about what's going on at that point.
            It could be muscular or tendons. Has it responded to RICE at all?

Comment

• Not sure fire, but after RICE, warmth/heat. Gentle stretching, as in don't (ever) stretch to pain; also massage gets blood to the area for healing. It's important to remember that when we rest is when we heal and grow. Exercise stresses us and that's a good thing, but resting is what heals and makes us strong.

If it's diet related, some bone broth, well salted, might help.
              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Thanks for all the suggestions. I'd never heard of 'rolling' before, YouTube has set me right though. I'd like to give it a go but I'm not sure where I'd find a suitable roll? Not like we have regular sporting equipment shops here, and when I googled diy rolls the only suggestions were using plastic PVC tubing, which I don't hold much hope in finding either.

I haven't tried rice or even heating, though I did get a massage just last week. The extra magnesium this morning hasn't helped, I've been doing regular stretching all day with no easing. It's weird, the muscles feel tight and ache but are not sore to stretch, stretching feels like the right thing to do but as soon as a stop the stretch the ache is back.

Comment

• yet another disgusting windy day today. north easterly this time. and rising. I've done the beach with the dog. everything still hurts so i went for another walk on my own. only maybe 4ks as i was running out of time. feeling a bit more fluid and able to move now. i will maybe do another long walk when i get home. high school uniform sale today. i can buy decent designer clothes brand new cheaper than this!

Comment

• Im with you on the uniforms Seas, if these kids could just stop growing for 5min so we parents could catch our breath!!!!!!!!

LL how are the muscles this morning??????

J thrilled that you are back with us, you will have to spill the beans at some stage and tell us what you got up to on your sabbatical, now how do we track CC down ????????

Another cool morning here, have shifted the sprinklers, made the meringues, cos i didnt get round to it yesterday, youngests Thai pilot friend is all settled in the outside room, DH is showing some people a property and then off to golf, and i am gonna RELAX!!!!!!!!
                    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• Originally posted by Lizzielou View Post
                      Thanks for all the suggestions. I'd never heard of 'rolling' before, YouTube has set me right though. I'd like to give it a go but I'm not sure where I'd find a suitable roll? Not like we have regular sporting equipment shops here, and when I googled diy rolls the only suggestions were using plastic PVC tubing, which I don't hold much hope in finding either.

I haven't tried rice or even heating, though I did get a massage just last week. The extra magnesium this morning hasn't helped, I've been doing regular stretching all day with no easing. It's weird, the muscles feel tight and ache but are not sore to stretch, stretching feels like the right thing to do but as soon as a stop the stretch the ache is back.
                      A baking rolling pin can be used in a pinch...

Comment

• G, it was nothing special. I just needed some quiet brain time.

That sounds so boring - I should have made something up. *chuckle* I went to bayou country and indulged in Cajun Carnal Delights!
                        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Ah quiet brain time.....I wish.....sounds like a lovely way to pass the time. If only I could ditch the kids (and maybe the husband!).

Had a very uncomfortable night, the only position I could get comfy in was on my back and all I wanted to do was roll onto my side. Spent a good portion of the wee small hours stretching, but still achy this morning. Whine, whine.............

Off to have brunch with DD's little boyfriend's family this morning. They've promised me an English cooked breakfast, which I hope will be suitable, sure I can wing in somehow. Of course I've got a fresh loaf of malted whole grain in the oven now, to take with us. Nothing like the smell of fresh bread!

Comment

• I reckon mine is also my ITB which tweaks. it sometimes gets nasty when I am sleeping too. I just keep moving and hope for the best. English breakfast, you'll prob be limited to coffee and scrambled eggs. not so bad I guess. do you get bacon where you are LL? I would expect not as it is a muslim country. I don't have that thing going on with bacon that everyone paleo seems to have so I so wouldn't care. take my beef or venison away and it would be a different matter altogether. feeling stuffed here. have eaten a kg of cherries, a few greengages and some cocao nibs and coffee for lunch. I did protein for breakast and will prob do fish or venison for dinner. we just got invited out for tea but my kids misbehave heaps where we are going so we shall see. feeling very tempted to skip dinner and do the bourbon version of the rum hack right now!

Comment

• Originally posted by seaweed View Post
                              I reckon mine is also my ITB which tweaks. it sometimes gets nasty when I am sleeping too. I just keep moving and hope for the best. English breakfast, you'll prob be limited to coffee and scrambled eggs. not so bad I guess. do you get bacon where you are LL? I would expect not as it is a muslim country. I don't have that thing going on with bacon that everyone paleo seems to have so I so wouldn't care. take my beef or venison away and it would be a different matter altogether. feeling stuffed here. have eaten a kg of cherries, a few greengages and some cocao nibs and coffee for lunch. I did protein for breakast and will prob do fish or venison for dinner. we just got invited out for tea but my kids misbehave heaps where we are going so we shall see. feeling very tempted to skip dinner and do the bourbon version of the rum hack right now!
                              Yes we do get bacon here. There is a non-halal part of our supermarket, we like to call it 'the room of shame'! It has frosted glass doors so as not to offend anyone and you have to hide your purchases in your handbag, which brings about the term 'handbag bacon'. Interestingly the pork products are generally much cheaper than in NZ, although free range is not something they've heard of, but I wonder if they don't have big pig farms anyway so maybe they are 'gently farmed'?. Some of the products are imported from Europe, so that is where my bacon and sausages come from, but they serve it behind the deli counter so I have no way of getting an ingredients list and the workers are all phillipino with limited English, so I can't ask. Just have to hope for the best!

Cherries! Yum! Currently $10 for about 100g in Brunei, bugger. And it's been forever since we had Greengages. I still follow the New Plymouth farmers market on FB, currently advertising tree ripened Hawera Plums. Certainly some things that we miss here, but we get some pretty lovely tropical fruit and vege, not to mention the cheap pork!

Comment

• unless either I am out and it is served to me or it happens to be wild pork, I fall back on the jewish ancestors and avoid it totally. thankfully my kids don't like pork sausages either. one less thing to worry about. handbag bacon sounds really dodgy LOL I actual saw some hawera plums in our local organic vege store today. where I got the greengages from. I'd still be more fine with tropical fruit. I grew up on it so I much prefer it to the more cool climate stuff.

still feeling stuffed from the cherries and I have done the 6k block in the 10kg weight vest. the nor' easter has risen somewhat so the weight vest had its uses. such as stopping me getting blown into the inlet on a few corners. my legs feel almost back to normal now. I heated up heaps too from all the fruit so I only wore a singlet.

Comment

Working...
                                X