Our own little Kiwi Thread !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Misabi View Post
    I've been looking into solar and wind turbines. Apparently for around $20k a 4 person family + Spa would barely have a power bill, so with just the 2 of us we'd be passing power back onto the grid. At the current power process it would take around 10 years to pay itself off, but the more the prices rise the quicker the ROI I guess...

It's still not too easy to justify the spend, until of course you factor in still having power post Z day
    Misabi, when you pass the power back onto the grid, depending on what company you are with they will pay you for it at the going rate only for up to a surplus of 5 units a day, beyond that they pay you a lower rate, and even then I believe only as a credit towards your next bill, you cannot take cash out of it.

so, you only want to invest as much as will give you about as much as you need over the year and not too much more, otherwise you're doing it for the power company's benefit rather than your own.
    Annie Ups the Ante
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• yep I agree Annie. There is give and take in this world Misabi, but if you give to the power company I am sorry to say, but they will not give a sausage in return !!!!!!!!!
      "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• i couldnt justify alternative power when we built the last place. i think it only becomes worth it if it is gonna cost telephone directory figures to get power to your house site. like i've known people who have been quoted 30k for example. it becomes viable then. stunning day in the deep south today. the sea was positively sparkling on our lope down the beach and the lupins smell so beautiful. been doing barbell compounds. oh my. way too much fun and so nasty. gym day today as well and i am going to make a start on getting the non perishable food for xmas.

Comment

• yay for gym day !!!!!!!!
          I need to get back into the garden. I had a great day out there yesterday.
          I will try and post a piccy, when it is looking a little more photo-worthy !!!!!!
          enjoy our beautiful days people - cos I think that the next southerly is due to blow in any day now !!!!!

...small steps....

Comment

• according to that oracle of supreme wisdom, the metservice, i think we have till sunday. my enviromentally friendly lawn mower is in the front yard as i type doing the lawns. she just made those horsey hoof clomping noises past my living room window. hopefully not into my rose bed! i have all these wilding red poppies. like the flanders field ones flowering right now that look very picturesque. so no weeding for me. i like them too much. all that wild bright deep red is very cheery when it is cold. and yes. yay for gym day! almost the highlight of my week. but always consistent and always good and i always overcome something which appeals to my control freaky nature!

Comment

• Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
              yay for gym day !!!!!!!!
              I need to get back into the garden. I had a great day out there yesterday.
              I will try and post a piccy, when it is looking a little more photo-worthy !!!!!!
              enjoy our beautiful days people - cos I think that the next southerly is due to blow in any day now !!!!!
              I for one would love to see your garden, G.
              Yes, do enjoy your beautiful weather, we have the rain up here now (I'm not complaining, it is needed for the garden).
              Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• I agree Annie,
                I absolutely love your garden, you are a very lucky girl.
                I also love the rain, love running/walking in it, love the smell of the forest when its raining.
                However I don't think that I could cope living on the West Coast of the South Island. I don't think that too much rain would do me much good!

...small steps....

Comment

• my main gripe with the weather here is not the rain but the wind. when it is cold and it is rainy, it makes walking a bit of an adventure. west coast is full of bugs. better to run there G LOL altho i love walking thru the bush in the rain or the mist here. quite hard near where i live as all the bush is small areas on private land. i can get across some that is grazed and that is unreal. twisted low forests of horopito with tracks thru and an understorey of onga onga. i will not be going there for a few months as it is starting to flower right now.

Comment

• epic day at the gym today! my shorts fell down when i was farmer's walking 2 x 36kg dumbbells. my trainer had to pull them up for me LOL whatever i am doing abandonning HFLC is obviously working. i benched 40kgs, deaded 85kgs and lunged 67kgs ( ie more than my body weight ) for 10 steps. woohoo!!!!!! the bay was steaming in the sun literally when i left home to go to town this avo. when i got back there was a sea mist and the sun was gone. the kids still went for a swim but i reckon the water was colder than the day before. i was going to jump in. cold thermogenisis being good for post gym but it was too cold for me in the little bikini.

Comment

• seas I have said this before and I will say it again - you rock !!!!!!!!!!!
                      to be able to lunge your body weight plus - that my girl is impressive !!!!!!!!!

...small steps....

Comment

• it is a party trick i reckon. kinda like the bearded lady side show trick as i have no idea why i can do them when men 2x my size struggle with 18kg dumbbells. i've always been able to do it. it's not like my bench and my deads where i edge up a few kgs, down a kg, up a few kgs and so on. if i can carry it for 10 paces, i can lunge it. in fact if i had wrist straps, i could prob lunge a pair of 36kg dumbbells but i reckon my grip would go without them as it is not strong enough yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Annieh View Post
                          Misabi, when you pass the power back onto the grid, depending on what company you are with they will pay you for it at the going rate only for up to a surplus of 5 units a day, beyond that they pay you a lower rate, and even then I believe only as a credit towards your next bill, you cannot take cash out of it.

so, you only want to invest as much as will give you about as much as you need over the year and not too much more, otherwise you're doing it for the power company's benefit rather than your own.
                          True, we can put in just what we need to cover or usage and maybe enough to get credit to pay our line charges, so we effectively have a $0 (or close to) power bill. It'll be easy to upscale if the family grows, or more likely if we sell to a family. And just having what we would need would still add value to the property.

Or I could just add a battery bank to store the excess
                          If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

• Originally posted by Misabi View Post
                            True, we can put in just what we need to cover or usage and maybe enough to get credit to pay our line charges, so we effectively have a $0 (or close to) power bill. It'll be easy to upscale if the family grows, or more likely if we sell to a family. And just having what we would need would still add value to the property.

Or I could just add a battery bank to store the excess
                            Wouldn't you want a battery bank anyway, as the wind doesn't always blow, nor does the sun always shine...? I'm not being snarky... I have read up a bit on solar/wind power, and everything I have read says to put in batteries for that very reason...

Comment

• True, and the times you want your electricity for lights etc are the very times the sun is NOT shining.

However the batteries are hugely expensive, as well as being physically huge and ugly.

So this makes it more practical (though less independent) to export the power when the sun shines and draw it back when you need it.
                              Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• Originally posted by Annieh View Post
                                True, and the times you want your electricity for lights etc are the very times the sun is NOT shining.

However the batteries are hugely expensive, as well as being physically huge and ugly.

So this makes it more practical (though less independent) to export the power when the sun shines and draw it back when you need it.
                                True... The books I read said basically the same thing, and I was reading them with the mindset of being energy independent... totally off the grid....

Comment

Working...
                                X