X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In bold
    Originally posted by AMonkey View Post
    Thanks guys, I will ask some more specific questions now

1. Where do you live and what do you like and dislike about it?
    Dunedin. I love the hills and the fact that it's basically a small town while still having a university.

2. In terms of climate, I'm assuming the north island is 'nicer'? I lived in Scotland for most of my life and I prefer warmer and less wet!
    Dunedin is the 'scottish' part of New Zealand

3. How do rent prices vary across the islands? I looked at places in Auckland and it seems I could get decent accommodation for under 400 NZD a week.
    Basically Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch are the three main centres and you pay through the nose to live there. Houses are less than half that everywhere else in the country.

4. My degree is in pharmacology (i.e. science) and I'm doing an internship in a technology company. Where are the hotspots for these industries?
    I'd guess Auckland...

5. How is the job market? It seems my degree could be in demand, so it seems quite easy to find a job there.
    There's a worldwide recession, but it's hit NZ less than most other countries.

6. Are the women attractive?
    I think that's totally subjective. Maybe not in the fashion industry underweight cookie cutter thing, but I don't actually think that that look is very attractive.

Thank you!
    np

Originally posted by AMonkey View Post
    Okay guys. I'm thinking of moving to New Zealand on a work holiday pass. I can get 12-23 months as a UK citizen. I've been googling but is there any particular advice or information you think I should know? I've been looking at the northern island, specifically Auckland.
    Auckland is a fine base since it's really NZ's only large city (more then a million people), but you won't be seeing 'New Zealand' if you stay there the whole time. Really there's a whole bunch of outdoor tourism that is nowhere near Auckland. Things you should have on your 'to do' list depending on how outdoorsy your preferences are:
    Temperate rain forest: Fiordland is a national park at the bottom of the South Island, great for hiking
    Skiing: Queenstown is down near the bottom of the South Island, and is world class. They also do things like water skiing, whitewater rafting and bungy jumping in the summer
    Tramping: The southern alps are the backbone of the South Island
    Whale watching: at Kaikoura on the east coast of the South Island
    Hot mud pools: Rotorua in the centre of the North Island
    Te Papa: National Museum based in Wellington at the bottom of the North Island
    Wine: Martinborough is just out of Wellington at the bottom of the North Island
    Last edited by magicmerl; 10-29-2013, 02:31 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Comment

• Gwamma, I'm counting on you to line up many affluent widowers when I come to visit. Looks mean nothing to me (they all look the same in the dark). I'm all about personality (and the ability to support me in the style to which I'd like become accustomed).
      2 funny J! I am all about the personality too but i do have to hang out with them in the dark so i am fussy!!!! awesome day today. done the block with the dog. it is in fact 6.2ks not 6 k as i have always thought. i finally drove it and checked. start of pay week so i may bunk off and go for a ride on the hog after lunch as the weather is supposed to pack in again tomorrow. on the subject of aux, we had a visitor around from the shore last night. she'd been down south doing the rail trail. i took her to see a spoonbill coz she'd never seen one. we even managed one in breeding plummage for her which was a cool shade of yellow instead of snow white. we had a drive around and checked out the bunnies and the hawks and the baby goslings and ducklings and so on. so many bunnies this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
        Gwamma, I'm counting on you to line up many affluent widowers when I come to visit. Looks mean nothing to me (they all look the same in the dark). I'm all about personality (and the ability to support me in the style to which I'd like become accustomed).
        Joanie, you are too much! Laughing out loud here!
        I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• Well hello all.........I am gone for the day and what happens...........naughty nonsense fun!!!!!!!!!!
          The rules of this game are - Gwamma must be involved in all things naughty!!!!!!!! Sheeeeeesh

Went to culver den today for my six weekly touch up.
          Stayed to have a wee cup of coffee with a dear wee friend, and she had organised a surprise birthday lunch with about 12 friends. It was delightful. I got all sorts of wee gifts, and an amazing chocolate cake, which I did try a very small weeny bit. She had decorated it with cute little pink roses from her garden.
          Very spoilt!!!!!!!

J I am sure that if you made the effort to come over to nouvelle zealande, we would find you a nice fella

Have just read my post and the touch up was hair related !!!!!!!!!!! Just getting in before DD, Doc, J etc.........
          "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• Well, hell, Gwamma, when did I miss the fact that it is your birthday?! Happy Birthday, lady!!

So what is the hubby planning, hmmmm?!
            I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• Hiya CC. Birthday was on the 10th, so long gone , and it's just another day!!!!! But thank you.
              DH bought me a brand new lawn mower.......John Deere.........so we have gone green!!!!!!! He did actually buy me a wee ring in Alaska also........ So Gwamma was very spoilt for her 50 th. I wonder what I will get when I turn 100???????

...small steps....

Comment

• A lawn mower is good only if you actually wished for it - out loud and specifically, even of it is a Deere. Hubby keeps on breaking ours - he bought a wee garden mower, and it works great for its intended purpose, but he keeps taking it into the woods to make paths and stuff, just like it were a big 'ole Deere or a brush hog, which it ain't. We keep the local repair shop very busy... Dude needs to just buy a proper tractor.

Picky of the ring, sometime??

My philosophy - if you make it to 100, and do it compos mentis, you get whatever you want!
                Last edited by Crabbcakes; 10-29-2013, 11:38 PM.

Comment

• I might need to re train on how to post piccys, oh and I was given this little iPad thing, which has predictive text. Pisses me off something wicked !!!!!!!!!!!

...small steps....

Comment

• I am writing you on my iPad mini - hubster got it for me for my Germany trip. At first I was kinda ticked, cause I only wanted a camera. But then I discovered some of its better features, like FaceTime. Yeah, predictive text is a pain, especially if you have a bad typing day, ha.

Sounds like you were very well taken care of, Gwamma.

Comment

• Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
                      Well hello all.........I am gone for the day and what happens...........naughty nonsense fun!!!!!!!!!!
                      The rules of this game are - Gwamma must be involved in all things naughty!!!!!!!! Sheeeeeesh

Went to culver den today for my six weekly touch up.
                      Stayed to have a wee cup of coffee with a dear wee friend, and she had organised a surprise birthday lunch with about 12 friends. It was delightful. I got all sorts of wee gifts, and an amazing chocolate cake, which I did try a very small weeny bit. She had decorated it with cute little pink roses from her garden.
                      Very spoilt!!!!!!!

J I am sure that if you made the effort to come over to nouvelle zealande, we would find you a nice fella

Have just read my post and the touch up was hair related !!!!!!!!!!! Just getting in before DD, Doc, J etc.........
                      What???? I wazna gunna say nuffin...... honest!

Comment

• Doc..... You my boy, are so full of shit!!!!!!! But we love you all the same!!!!!!
                        DD your turn...........

...small steps....

Comment

• Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
                          Doc..... You my boy, are so full of shit!!!!!!! But we love you all the same!!!!!!
                          DD your turn...........
                          nooooo I took my Mag Citrate today...... tooks care o that problem!

Comment

• Happy Birthday to you!
                            Happy Birthday to you!
                            Happy Birthday Dearest Gwamma,
                            Happy Birthday to you!
                            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Thank u J.
                              I need to download these wee smileys onto my ipad, so if you could imagine a little huggy thing........

...small steps....

Comment

• For you G, anything.
                                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Working...
                                X