Our own little Kiwi Thread !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Lizzylou!

The following values were done 15 days after I began my primal journey.

I have only just moved to welly and seen the doc once but my latest eGFR was 27 (my last test prior to beginning primal was 26) Serum Creatinine was 213, Sodium 139 (down from 144), Potassium 4.2 (down from 4.8) Phosphorus 4.9 (up from 4.4).

Dr wants me to have another 24hr clearance test which should happen shortly - I will be interested in the results of that one.

For me the hardest thing to eliminate from my diet was dairy. I am not 100% dairy free I do have the occasional bit of cream or low sodium cheese for a treat. Also, I really miss pumpkin, kumara and spinach! I am sticking to capsicum, cauli, broccoli, onion, carrots as my basic veges; this has helped to keep my potassium in the normal range.

Protein is the other big issue, thus far I have been eating a lot more eggs instead of meat but my phosphorus levels have increased. I found this when I first started researching primal and found it a really good starting point: Chronic Kidney Disease Diet — Paleo Family Doc

My dietitian was not happy with me to say the least when I went primal but the difference in how I feel is worth it, even if it is going quite a bit of trial and error!

When I first saw mum she was shocked at how less puffy my face looked, so I take that as a good sign!

Comment

• Thanks for that link jdnz, that is really interesting. I'm not surprised that your dietician balked at paleo! It really does defy all convention in the CKD world, but interesting that link even tried to attempt it. However she should be delighted that you are taking such a proactive step, most renal patients don't do squat and only have themselves to blame for ending up on dialysis. I'm not kidding when I tell you probably 90% of them got themselves into that dialysis chair! It should be doable if you keep your eye on those protein levels, which might prove to be a very difficult task. I'm imagining lots of vege filled meals with small portions of meat - like stir fry which would be perfect, but obviously a bit dull 3 meals a day! I'll keep my eye out for suitable meals for you.

I wonder where coconut flour fits in? The nutritional panel on my packet doesn't have potassium......

Comment

• I checked the coconut flour and it has no potassium! I have made a couple of bread / loafs with it since I have been on primal to bulk up the calories when I have my vege soup.

I usually have a coffee with tbsp coconut cream for breakfast, eggs at lunch usually with salad and a small amount of protein at dinner with more veges. I am also using cooking everything in coconut oil.

Everyone has been pretty optimistic about my long-term health if I maintain a healthy diet etc as the damage was done from the acute glomerulonephritis should not worsen. I was also told that if I don't take care and be proactive I will end up on dialysis and waiting for a kidney... definitely enough to scare me into staying healthy!

Comment

• Originally posted by jdnz View Post

Everyone has been pretty optimistic about my long-term health if I maintain a healthy diet etc as the damage was done from the acute glomerulonephritis should not worsen. I was also told that if I don't take care and be proactive I will end up on dialysis and waiting for a kidney... definitely enough to scare me into staying healthy!
          That is great news. I don't need to tell you that an eGFR of 27 ain't flash, but if there is hope to improve it then you'll be sweet (and then maybe you can ditch the CKD diet too?). I wish more people were 'scared into staying healthy', but so many tend to be self destructive.

Good news about coconut too. That really does open up lots more options for you.

Comment

• good morning all - well DHs cousin who is high up in our NZ Police has arrived and settled into his little corner of the cave.
            The wee Indonesian 'flatmate' is really really sweet. The old saying - its a small world comes to mind because her brother (Dentist) knows one of my brothers - sort of !!!!!!!
            These people are from Indonesia for goodness sake..................

............ and today I am off to Timaru to 'be there' for my DD and her wee fella. he was meant to have a wee op last friday, but due to power cuts etc.... they were sent home - so today is the day !!!!!!!
            He was born with a wee deformed ear, and also one side of his face is just slightly different. You would never know about the face unless it was pointed out, but his ear looks like a cauliflour ear - you know tha ones our rugby boys get after years in the scrum !!!!!
            anyhoo todays op is a tongue tie that was never picked up. He breastfed like a trouper and I believe that is often when it is picked up because they cannot suck very well ????? But this wasn't picked up because he was feeding fine. Its a wee bit more than a cut apparently. The Surgeon thinks about 20 minutes under the knife - so should be an interesting day.
            I am really just a support, but this particular daughter doesn't cope well with blood and guts etc.... so Gwamma is in !!!!!
            I could have opted to look after the big grand baby - but his Dad has a day off the farm - so done !!!!!!

so have the bestest day everyone - NO naughty nonsense - and if any of you do decide to push some huge boundaries......... just wait till Gwamma get home..................... I will sort you lot out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bye bye bye bye bye bye
            "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• Very very best wishes to you, dd and little one. May everything go smoothly. Blessings.
              Annie Ups the Ante
              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• Annie - thank you for that. The op went beautifully. was quite an extensive tie, so not sure how the wee fella has breast fed all this time. Maybe DD flow was actually very fast like she said, and he just didn't need to latch much ??????
                and as he got older he was up 3 - 4 times in the night - so who knows ????
                anyway he is now one wee cut boy, but I am sure after a good night sleep will be bouncing off the walls - as alot of boys do !!!!!!!

so nothing else to report except that my little five hour jaunt to Timaru and back, coupled with the no coffee for three days has left Gwamma a little fragile and tired !!!!!!!
                Policeman cousin is cooking tonight - so yay for the boys in blue !!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh thats right - I did something very naughty. We met the Anesthetist before the surgery in his shirt and tie looking all official - then he popped in after the op, in his scrubbs - just to say how well it all went - and Gwamma - being Gwamma did suggest that she does like to see a boy in uniform.............. which had the effect of embarrassing the DD no end, causing the Anesthetist to blush, and then he winked at Gwamma as he left the room !
                hahahahahaha - best fun !!!!!!!!

...small steps....

Comment

• Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
                  oh thats right - I did something very naughty.
                  noooooooo... say it isn't so!

Comment

• i am so pleased it went well G. and way to go with the anesthetist! was he hot? my dd would have died too if i had done something like that LOL yes a hot man would be kinda nice around about now to drool over. i have sprained my ankle so i need distraction. especially since i cant exercise properly or ride the motorcycle. i am stuffed to the gills with homeopathics and vitamins and minerals and i got some anti inflams off a mate so i will be better soon!

Comment

• I'm glad it went well, too. I was thinking about him today.

Comment

• Good to hear it went well - I had my fingers crossed.
                        I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Hi Gwamma and all,

Very glad all went well with the surgery!

Gwamma, I think I missed why you're quitting coffee. It's tough to do. I tried in college and after being a raving bitch for four days, my friends encouraged me to go back to it - the same group of friends that were undyingly supportive when I quit smoking. LOL. In my early forties I gave it sort of a half-hearted go by mixing caf with decaf and gradually decreasing the caf. All that happened was I drank more coffee. I'm truly an addict. (Hangs head in shame.)

Changing the clocks is going swimmingly. *cough* Stayed awake for 24 hours, fell asleep at 645am, woke almost exactly five hours later and spent most of Monday with a brain full of fog. When the fog lifted, after a second mug of espresso with coconut oil in it, my brain craved sleep. I slept. So, here I sit at 2am on MDA. Oh how I miss the resilience of youth. (Though truth be told, my last two decades have been my favorites.)

My 21 day thing is going well. I'm officially more than a quarter of the way through. I have saved about $27 and not consumed about 5000 calories which is part of the reason I'm doing this. I can't call myself primal or even remotely healthy when alcohol comprised over a third of my calories. On day 22, I will indulge and then do a 21 day thing again. Funny thing is that even in my party youth, I didn't drink much alcohol. Drugs, yes, but not alcohol, and even the drug use was light. I've read that it's easier to become an habitual user as you get older. I forget the physiological reasons why.

Anyway, except for being slightly addled from weird and lack of sleep, things here are pretty much okay. You all are about 20 hours ahead of us, so you've already done your Tuesday, while here sun-up is about four hours away.
                          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• is your 21 day thing no booze for 21 days Joanie? i am a true caffeine addict. i reckon i am old enough to pick my nefarious habits so i will stick with coffee and exercise. i may have to go have a bit of a party before the weekend sometime if my ankle keeps hurting as i will need to distract myself somehow. sun has gone down here and it is dark. tuesday's almost gone!

Comment

• No alcohol and as close to 100% primal as possible. So also no non-primal day once a week. I never go overboard on non-primal day, but I might have bread or a small serving of pasta. I tried to do a 70 day no alcohol thing, fell off after about a week, and thought that was too scary to deal with. I don't really think I'm physically an alcoholic because neither my brain nor my body feel bad when I quit. But I am certainly an habitual user, and that's not good. It's a matter of breaking the mindset of "it's 5pm, not much to do, think I'll drink," more than anything else. So I've mostly been keeping myself busy or distracted at that time of day. Once the corner store closes at 7pm, I know I'm good because I never want to drink enough to get in the car to go get it.

I often google "what time is it in new zealand" before I post so I can have a reference point as to what part of the day it is there.

I've grown way too fond of espresso to ever quit. Very low tech - a little stove top espresso pot. Organic beans I order from costco.com, and a little walmart coffee grinder that keeps plugging away after seven years.

I hope your ankle feels better soon. Do self-medicate/party. I'll be with you in spirit.
                              "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Originally posted by ssn679doc View Post
                                noooooooo... say it isn't so!
                                Yep Doc I was VERY naughty - but I LOVE being naughty !!!!!!!!!!!

and I so hope you got to be naughty on your birthday !!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by seaweed View Post
                                i am so pleased it went well G. and way to go with the anesthetist! was he hot?

i have sprained my ankle so i need distraction. especially since i cant exercise properly or ride the motorcycle. i am stuffed to the gills with homeopathics and vitamins and minerals and i got some anti inflams off a mate so i will be better soon!
                                actually Seas - he looked a weent teeny bit like DOC !!!!!!!! VERY HOT !!!!! I really should have whispered that. Doc might think I am a stalky sort of a Gwamma !!!!!!!!

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                                I'm glad it went well, too. I was thinking about him today.
                                Thanx Zoes. Its kinda weird when not your own child but your precious wee grandy. You so want to protect them more almost than your own children............. not sure what thats about !!!!

Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
                                Good to hear it went well - I had my fingers crossed.
                                Badger - baby girl - how are you after all your birthday celebrations ????

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                                Hi Gwamma and all,

Very glad all went well with the surgery!

Gwamma, I think I missed why you're quitting coffee.
                                I am not sleeping so well Joanie - so am thinking that it might be the coffee. Anyway three days in - terrible headaches, and two amazing nights of shut eye - so ???????

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                                I often google "what time is it in new zealand"
                                thanx Joanie
                                I am starting to get a feel for the time differences - but then Doc and Canio work night shifts so they throw me out - bloody MEN !!!!!!

Seaweed - what the hell have you been doing to yourself ?????
                                I cannot imagine you NOT doing exersize ????? How is this going to work ??????????????

...small steps....

Comment

Working...
                                X