No announcement yet.

Our own little Kiwi Thread !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G my fave cookery book which i have misplaced called kitchen of light has a recipe for devil's rhubarb which is raw rhubarb dipped in sugar chased down with neat vodka shots LOL prob not the best plan! dd did good in the tri. it wasnt exactly timed and everyone got a medal for finishing. kinda sad state of the nation really as i would expect any child to be able to do a 200m swim, 8k bike on the flat and a 1.5k run on the flat at her age which is 12. cold as here and still NO rain!!!

purple potatoes, if they are purple all the way thru will be a variety of maori potatoes. they are called urenika which i wont translate due to it being a very non family orientated non pc name. the last half of the name i wouldnt even say in english it is that non pc. they are IMO not the best maori potato but still way better than the modern varieties. they are quite floury, a good masher with 50/50 butter. i have some on roasting right now with the pork ribs off my wild pig.

Comment

• Annie I am so sorry. I am not sure why I thought you were in Auckland. Of course you are in the naki.
      I will try the rhubarb with a little apple and see if that makes it more palatable - great suggestion. Thanx Annie
      "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• thanx Seas. Thrilled that DD did well. Its a great boost achieving something like that.
        I will do some of the potatoes for dinner tonight, and see what colour they are inside. If they have white flesh I suppose they will be plain old red rascals or some such

...small steps....

Comment

• It's going down to 34degress F tonight, which is 1 deg C tonight. Brrr. Will turn on the heat tonight before I go to sleep so I don't wake up searching for blankets at 3am.

Very simple supper tonight. Can of sardines over some white rice. Brussel sprouts fried in bacon grease on the side.

Don't tell anyone, but I'm totally hammered. It's Saturday - I'm allowed.
          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• hammered is always a fun way to be Joanie...... however my problem the next morning is working out what posts I have made on MDA - in my drunken state !!!!!!

good idea turning the heat up. Remember to take your smalls off the line. Frozen smalls don't go on so well !!!!!!

...small steps....

Comment

• hammered is always a fun way to be Joanie
              always good to have fun and enjoy your life LOL however sardines and white rice when i am hammered euww! i would be throwing up and blaming the bourbon. give me crayfish anyday. or wild pork.

Comment

• Hey gwamma, I have a great recipe for rhubarb sorbet sweetened with honey. I have the same problem this year, love rhubarb but its just awful without sugar. Wonder what it's like stewed with stevia? Will go try that. I'll post the sorbet recipe if I find it, think it was a NZ Gardener recipe.

Comment

• thanx LL. How is it all with you ????
                  Packing going okay ?

...small steps....

Comment

• i do rhubarb for the kids with honey and orange juice and orange zest btw. you can then make a crumble with coconut flour and butter. or coconut flour, tapioca flour and butter. or have it with a baked custard of some kind. you should be able to do some kind of rhubarb and apples stewed as well. i do my stewed apples with butter, honey, lemon zest and cinnamon. sometimes i put lemon juice in too if they are not proper cooking apples. i would imagine bunging the rhubarb in would work too. it would be tart but you could have it with meat then as a savoury thing.

Comment

• that also sound delish seas. I will have to do some experimenting me thinks !!!!!

...small steps....

Comment

• Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
                        thanx LL. How is it all with you ????
                        Packing going okay ?
                        Tough weekend with an over excited 6 yo. Not sure what's gotten into him, but he's been awful all weekend. He's currently in his room (been there since 6pm) because he kept tackling his sister in front of the ironing board (it was hot and I was trying to get my uniform done for work) and then instead of getting into the shower he decided to moon little miss! Now he's kicked at his bedroom door so hard he's put a dent in the wall. Nice. DH has been away on a boys weekend in memory of his mate who died last month, so I'm doing it alone again.

I'm making slow progress with the packing/sorting, got a big pile of stuff next to the back door destined for the hospice shop tomorrow and I've listed several items on TM. Will have to start hassling DH about getting his stuff organised soon as I'm powering through mine but not touched his things.

Comment

• Gwamma, LOL. I always go to my profile after a good drunk to make sure I didn't offend someone or hurt someone's feelings. Turns out I'm a whole lot less snarky when imbibing.

Sea, I so wish I had access to the kinds of foods that you do. It all sounds so healthy and yummy. I can get real wild boar (some places actually farm wild boar then call it wild, but that whole concept hurts my head), but the hunted ones cost a lot. And even if I knew how to shoot and kill my own food, I haven't seen a wild pig in New Orleans ever.

Anyway, it's 6am, Sunday morning, and I'm loving the quiet. For a party city, this place shuts down a lot on Sunday. Everyone goes to church. The partiers are sleeping in. Blissful quiet.

The tiny bad news is that I forgot to turn on the heat before I fell asleep (passed out?) and woke up sneezing.

Gwamma, are smalls the same as undies? panties? lingerie? No frozen ones here. I live in an apartment complex, so no one hangs their stuff out to dry. I bet a frozen thong would be an experience.
                          "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• HIya Joanie - howz the head ?????
                            yep smalls are bras and undies...... you couldn't really call my undies smalls - more like wides !!!!!! hahahahahaha

I agree about Seas healthy hood - way down ..... honestly some days I could just pack up my troubles ............................ and head on down to Seas (another song J) !!!!!

...small steps....

Comment

• it's the food that you cant buy in the shops that is the best which is knowledge you really dont want to have. and i am just ever so ever so lucky i can do what i do. push comes to shove i still have rabbit, cockles, mussels and oysters with the odd paua and kina if i lose my hunting access. hardship or what! windy day down here. i got airborne going around a corner by accident at 6:30am when i was out for my swift 1 mile pre breakfast dash LOL

Comment

• The old windy dash before breaky trick !!!!!!!!
                                Very VERY cool day here, and DH has the worst damned cold !!!!!!! Hes got the whole runny nose, sniffing, sneezing, wo is me thing going on - so YAY FOR ME ---------- NOT!

I am actually really sore today after starting on the vege garden. But its a good sore feeling !

...small steps....

Comment

Working...
                                X