Our own little Kiwi Thread !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LL thats brilliant - enjoy the shoot.
    We haven't had one done for years - so its about time, and he will love that anniversary pressie.

This tongue tie was obviously not picked up because he has fed so well, but now that he is trying to talk its very gabbly. Anyway I don't think it will be an issue once its done, but apparently there is more damage in his mouth than a simple tongue tie. he was born with quite a deformed ear, and one side of his face is a wee bit different. The surgeon we saw at 6 months of age likened it to John Keys facial deformity. If you look hard you can see a slight difference with each side of his face. Anyway that op will be major, but not till about 5. If his ear starts to grow he may not need it, but so far its still small and bent inwards, so gets infections alot.
    Anyway sometimes we have to put our faith in the medical profession !!!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

• Definitely, allopathy has it's uses!

Today's juice is awesome: 3 leaves silverbeet, 5 stalks celery (with leaves); coriander; royal gala apple, ginger and lemon. Has a very sweet, bright, clean flavor. that made about 3 cups of juice!

Yesterday was fun and busy. We went on an ice-cream forage during the teacher training. It was fun.

Comment

• I think I read somewhere once that if it was picked up at birth, midwives would just clip it with their fingernail, and it was something that was routinely checked for. Can't remember which book I read it in. Anyone else heard this?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
          I think I read somewhere once that if it was picked up at birth, midwives would just clip it with their fingernail, and it was something that was routinely checked for. Can't remember which book I read it in. Anyone else heard this?
          Yes my mother used to be a midwife - hasn't practiced in over 20 years though - and she said that it was routine for a midwife to grow one finger nail just a little longer so tongue ties could be fixed at birth. She was shocked also when they said they wouldn't fix nephew's. I think it's become such a little used technique that it isn't taught anymore and slowly we gained a generation of medical professionals who don't know how to deal with it.

Photo's went really well, the kids were so cute and the park was a fantastic backdrop, something to remember New Plymouth when we are gone.

Comment

• OMG girls that fingernail story horrifies me - only for the fact it reminds me of something that happened many years ago. We had a couple of days of shearing, which is always a huge time, working in the shed, bringing stock in and out, penning up, cooking for the shearers etc.....
            Anyway one of the children was quite small and quite whinney, and a tooth was obviously coming through ( gums very red and swollen)... anyway an old Maori rousabout ( who I love dearly) said to me, DD is obviously teething, here let me deal with it for you. How do you deal with it I asked? She whipped out a long very dirty fingernail, and said I just cut through the gums with this - and the tooth comes through - no worries.
            I respectfully declined, but whenever I see this lovely lady now - thats all I can think of !!!!!! LOL

...small steps....

Comment

• i have been told to cut thru the gum with the edge of a spoon but i never quite got around to it. just smiled and nodded and ran for the hills lol not heard of the finger nail trick but it is poss better than the spoon.

i went oystering today so i have stacks of shucked raw oysters in the fridge. i put some in my guacamole for lunch and am planning on carpet bagging my 200g of venison for dinner tomorrow with them. it will poss put my protein up a bit but i am gonna view them as mineral pills since it is a freaking long swim out to get them so i need to make the most of my opps to get a ride out.

made some dark choc dipped raw fruit cake balls for a housewarming i went to last night. thankfully i managed to have one and leave as they were divine. it is such a pity you cant just make one once in a while or i cant go somewhere and purchase just one. i skipped all the alcohol too and missed my dinner avocado so as i could have one. i was counting the nuts and the coconut oil in them ( which i couldnt taste) as fat and chosing to ignore the dried fruit altho i doubt one would blow me over 20g of carbs which is still fine.

Comment

• Seas why have you got a 200gm cap on your daily protein, or is that per meal ?????. It doesn't sound very much to me ?????

and well done on the no alcohol.
                The other thing - could you make these yummy balls and put them in the freezer for a treat ??????

...small steps....

Comment

• well i worked out my ketosis ratios and if i have 2 eggs and 200g of meat or fish, i hit it. i do have to say tho that i exercise my ass off which is poss why it is annoying me somewhat. even if i am feeling much less aggro with more fat and less protein. it is but an experiment for a short amount of time. prob 4 days instead of the planned 2 weeks lol

no alcohol was quite easy as there was just euwww premix bourbon and cola cans, beer or cheap wine. i did bring a bottle of scrumpy but it was flavoured as the lady whose house it was likes it. none of which do a thing for me. i deliberately left my bottle of bourbon at home as it was a 7k drive and i only drink if i can walk home easily. it also totally depends where i am as to whether i drink. usually i just do my madonna impression with my bottle of water lmao.

now that is a thought. not sure how well they would freeze or my self discipline would go but i guess i cant nuke them to defrost so i have to plan it several hours in advance.

Comment

• actually they taste great straight from the freezer !!!!!!!!

...small steps....

Comment

• i poss need to leave them in my mates freezer 5 k away then lol

Comment

• Originally posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
                        actually they taste great straight from the freezer !!!!!!!!
                        lol yes they do.

Originally posted by seaweed View Post
                        i poss need to leave them in my mates freezer 5 k away then lol
                        lolol, good idea.

What's in them anyway? If theyr'e a bit difft from my primal balls I would like to try them for a change.
                        Annie Ups the Ante
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• i posted the recipe on this thread back before xmas as i had to google it to get it back. the original recipe was on a web page which disappeared. here it is. what i usually do is use a mix of almonds, walnuts and hazels. i often dont bother adding the almond butter for the same reason i dont make the truffles very often. i also put in some flaked almonds for texture. i soak the dried fruit in bourbon ( you dont have to use alcohol and you can also use any spirit or liquer you like ), lemon rind, orange rind, lemon and orange juice overnight. then i take some of the raisins, currants and sultanas out. bang the rest of the soaked dried fruit in the blender. blend it up. scrape it out and put it in a bowl. put all the nuts in the blender. blend to a meal. add that to the bowl. add in the flaked almonds, the spices and the whole soaked raisins etc. sometimes i put in some melted coconut oil as well but not too much. it works fine without it. mix it all up. make balls and put in fridge to set. melt 85% choc in a pot over some hot water. dip the balls in. put back in the fridge and try not to eat them all at once. you can put it in a cake shaped tin. let it set and then ice with the almond paste icing below which is nice. the original recipe made a knock off royal icing with creamed coconut and honey i think to go over the almond paste.

recipe below.

• Raw fruit cake

Ingredients:
                          Cake:
                          150g walnuts (finely ground)
                          50g walnuts (lightly crumbled)
                          125g almonds (finely ground)
                          60g dates
                          250g dried apricots
                          60g raisins
                          60g sultanas
                          60g currants
                          1 tbsp honey
                          Juice of 1 lemon
                          1 tsp ground cinnamon
                          1 tsp ground ginger
                          pinch ground nutmeg
                          pinch of ground cloves
                          90g almond butter

Marzipan:
                          200g almond butter
                          3 tbsp honey
                          1 tsp vanilla extract
                          1/2 or 1 tsp almond extract

Comment

• afternoon ladies.

Sorry about that link I sent out, didn't seem to work for anyone other than myself! I'll be buggered if I can figure out how the damn thing works. The photographer dropped off the disk to me this morning so now I have my own copies at least, can't look at them here at work though cause I don't understand how this computer works either. Snapfish have a valentines day special on at the moment with 40% off canvases so hopefully I can get on there this afternoon and get one ordered - assuming of course that my mad computer skills don't let me down! Now all I have to do is decide which photo to use?

I've just been in contact with a teacher in brunei and she tells me to bring lots of art because the houses over there are large with big white walls so maybe I'll have to splash out on a couple of canvases. She also said to stock up on good quality kitchen stuff, furniture and whitewear, because the selection is limited, or poor quality or expensive in brunei. Gee, time to go shopping I think. I wagged work for an hour this morning and did some shopping for kids gear while there are summer clearances still on. Nothing like a bit of retail therapy to put a girl in a good mood.

Poor DH is all stressed about work again, he didn't sleep all night worrying about telling them he's leaving. We pulled out his contract last night and found a section that actually states that he would be liable to pay them back for any training he does within 6 months of leaving. We so don't want a $10, 000+ bill for this trip to Norway next week, so he's going to have to fess up and risk them calling shell Brunei and getting stropy with them. At this stage he's not going to tell them where he's been offered a job and hopefully they won't press him for details until we're all signed up. And now my work are wanting me to go to Wanganui again on Thurs and he won't even talk to me about it. I hate it when he's stressed

Eeep, there I go again ranting on about my stuff.........hope you are all having a much more relaxing day!

Comment

• .........hope you are all having a much more relaxing day!
                              actually yes. it is howling a gale here but warm still. not for long tho i dont reckon. i have done the 6k block twice and done stacks of work so i am just chilling out. i am still thinking of going for a swift ride on the bike to town to get some stuff for the kids but the gale is putting me off and the fact it could very well decide to change direction and rain while i am out. having had this happen before, it is literally like riding a submarine in a very strong current so i am not keen lol just think of it as an adventure LL. and enjoy all that shopping!!

Comment

• Yes, and what an adventure it is. Looking forward to the enjoyable part with less paperwork.

Just had a lovely phone call from a colleague who was just calling to say hi. Isn't that nice?

Comment

Working...
                                X