What Book Are You Currently Reading?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Milo Talon-Louis L"Amour
    Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

Comment

The Passage of Power: The Years of Lyndon Johnson. By Robert Caro. Book 4 in a series that's taken 30 years. Makes George R.R. Martin look speedy. Steven Pressfield is next as I've read all his books.

Comment

Just finished: Blessed Unrest, Paul Hawken; a blessed mess.

Just started: Gone Girl, Gillian Flynn, junk food, admit I love the style and how characters develop quickly.

Other: The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, Haruki Murakami, my 4th Murakami this year; hooked, line and sinker; mentioned, coincidentally, on p. 31 of Gone Girl; a strange world where all the novels are the same, or not.

Comment

Just finished born to run, now reading good calories, bad calories

Comment

The Sea, the Sea
            Iris Murdoch
            a reread, but genius.
            I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

Steve Jobs biography. I downloaded it when it first came out and have recently started reading it. It's a fascinating story and I would highly recommend if you haven't already read it.
              To a Mountain in Tibet - Colin Thubron
              Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox - Kate Rheaume-Bleue

Comment

Doing some rereads until I pick up some new stuff...

Perdido Street Station- Mieville
                White Night - Butcher
                An Edge in the Kitchen - Ward

Comment

The Case for Gold, by Ron Paul and Lewis Lehrman. Flame away, all who have no understanding of basic economics.
                  Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Comment

This summer I have been reading some Chuck Palahniuk books, Survivor, Invisible Monsters, and Choke. I just read Joe Hill's Horns. I also read a couple of independently published novels that I found for a buck at the Kindle store. I need a suggestion for my next book

Comment

I've just been re-reading some Laurens van der Post books, including a couple of novels

A Story Like the Wind:

Amazon.com: A Story Like the Wind (9780156852616): Laurens van der Post: Books

and

A Far Off Place

A Far-Off Place: Laurens van der Post: 9780156301985: Amazon.com: Books

I started The Compleat Angler. I don't fish, but it's supposed to be interesting for what you learn about the countryside and society of that time. It's a little slow to get into, though. It begins with set dialogues where characters speak for their different sports by citing pretty much irrelevant material from the Bible and the Classics. (I guess Izaak Walton didn't want to waste his learning.) It's difficult to feel engaged with that, because it's so far off what we would do nowadays.

And Survival of the Fattest: The Key to Human Brain Evolution by Stephen Cunnane. AFAIK, this is one of Jack Kruse's favourites. Deeply interesting stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Survival-Fatte...dp/9812561919/
                      Last edited by Lewis; 08-27-2012, 10:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I'm reading The Ethical Slut, How to Train a Wild Elephant, My name is Chellis and I'm in recovery from Western Civilization. Next up is Deep Economy.

Comment

It Starts With Food

Comment

The only one of those I haven't read is Why is Sex Fun, but I haven't been able to find a free copy yet. I'll keep looking.
                            My library carries absolutely everything he's written, but I stalled on the civilizations book, all that touchy-feely stuff about Montana... very different from his other writings.
                            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                            When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I've just finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett, I really enjoyed it. I liked the writing style and found it thought provoking. I haven't seen the film, not sure if it would live up to the book for me!

Comment

I have a huuuggggeeeee wishlist on Amazon filled with books.

I've been wanting to read a physical paperback lately, and something new, so I snagged Zodiac by Neal Stephenson from one of my parents' bookcases and will be starting that soon (tonight?).
                                Depression Lies

Comment

Working...
                                X