Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the world have to become vegetarian by 2050?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kenn View Post
    how?
    Actually, leaving factory farming in place may well solve the problem for us. We get most of our plagues from birds and swine. Keeping millions of them just on the edge of life and pumping antibiotics through the system until they are useless is pretty much a sure-fire way to make a good 'un.

We're overdue, after all

Oh- and as to the "look at the water in the ocean" comment. The total amount of water on the planet is not the question. The problem is the amount of POTABLE water. I believe that's somewhere around 1% of the total? It's going down, too, as we screw with what we have.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

Originally posted by The Return of Dado
      yea, go see an expert baby doll. gosh knows you can't think for yourself.
      No, really. You need help.
      Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

Ishmael.org

Waging more war against the community of life on this planet (e.g. converting more land mass into commodity grain crops) won't bring us peace or satiety. People aren't starving because there's not enough food, they're starving because there's too much [human] food. (That is, they exist and are here to starve because of increased food production, not insufficient food production. People are made of food, not rainbows or unicorn smiles) Read it.
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
          Ishmael.org

Waging more war against the community of life on this planet (e.g. converting more land mass into commodity grain crops) won't bring us peace or satiety. People aren't starving because there's not enough food, they're starving because there's too much [human] food. (That is, they exist and are here to starve because of increased food production, not insufficient food production. People are made of food, not rainbows or unicorn smiles) Read it.
          Good read, thanks for that. Will have to dig around at that site.

Comment

fucking water??

are you people out of your mind?? do you see the oceans out there? do you know how much water there is on the planet???

WATER SHORTAGE = GLOBAL WARMING

it's a new political keyword.

give me a fucking break
            Um, both of those things are real, and real problems. Do you have any idea what kind of load it would add to the world's energy needs if we have to desalinate every liter of water people need to drink?

Or do you think people can survive off of seawater if they squat heavy enough, or something?

You're supposedly an engineer, so you should be able to do the simple math that points to SERIOUS FUCKING PROBLEMS.

Or, you know, you could just read the news.
            Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
              Good read, thanks for that. Will have to dig around at that site.
              Glad you enjoyed it and that I could point you in its direction.

Batshit crazy, illogical rant
              You are a ray of sunshine. Thanks for being you.
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                Ishmael.org

Interesting. I have had some of the very same thoughts that he outlines. And I have never read his books. Thanks for the interesting link.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Dado man this is really sad. Do you abuse people in these threads for a reason, or is this your way of showing us how positive you are ?????
                  you can disagree with peoples views without being abusive
                  just a thought from this old Gwamma
                  "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Comment

yep I am with the program, and I am loving it.
                    Shit is certainly rough out there, however attitude IS everything.
                    Enjoy life man - we are here for such a short time.

...small steps....

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcatbone View Post
                      Off the top of my head . . . widely available and free birth control to whoever wants it, offer incentives like those voluntarily sterilized without having children get a free college education, eliminate tax breaks after a certain number of children (after two you get taxed at a higher rate) and so on.
                      Total rubbish.

Population is already stable and reducing in the west. To reduce the world human population you have to suggest measures that work in the third world. Hans Rosling does an excellent job of explaining your colonial attitutes towards the 'natives' aren't the right solution.

Please watch this video and then let me know if you still think that your prescription of birth control, sterilisations and taxation are the answer.
                      Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                      5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                      Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                      TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                      bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
                        Total rubbish.

Population is already stable and reducing in the west. To reduce the world human population you have to suggest measures that work in the third world. Hans Rosling does an excellent job of explaining your colonial attitutes towards the 'natives' aren't the right solution.

Please watch this video and then let me know if you still think that your prescription of birth control, sterilisations and taxation are the answer.
                        I watched most of it and yes, I do still agree that incentives to reduce population growth are a good idea. Yes, they will likely have to be tailored to specifically fit different cultures. And no, I wasn't assuming every woman in African had twenty babies that died before they reached adulthood. I'm seeing more people around the world becoming more affluent, which often does reduce the number of offspring, but not enough. I'd like to see negative population growth, because it isn't about space, it's about resources. As people become more affluent they buy more stuff and that stuff requires resources, of which we have a finite amount. And America, being the largest consumer of stuff for its population really needs to cut back. And as much as the population growth may be slowing, it hasn't stopped. While we're currently at about 7 billion we're expected to be between 7.5 and 10 billion by 2050.
                        Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

Originally posted by kenn View Post
                          how?
                          Education. Allegedly, educated females tend to have fewer children. Alternatively, I suspect a nuclear war or two would do the trick.
                          Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Comment

we could follow in the Leamings footsteps ??????? (not sure if I have spelt that correctly ) LOL

...small steps....

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                              One way to save water is to stop pooping in it and flushing it down the toilet.
                              This made my day!

When I have a composting toilet in my dream house, I think I'll frame this quote and put it somewhere nearby.

Comment

So shall we set the cannibal clock to 38 years?
                                In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

Working...
                                X