Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Bicycle

Just bought a new bike!

I rode it home (30 min), first time in about 15 years I've been on a bike. Starting to move my body more, so that is exciting. My two sons who ride fixed gear bikes are stoked for their mother too, although they think I should convert it.

bike.jpg
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Gratz!

Comment

Good for you!

Fixies are for hardcore people IMO. Give yourself some time to get used to being on two wheels and figure out what you like before you go that route, is my advice.
      Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Uncephalized View Post
        Good for you!

Fixies are for hardcore people IMO. Give yourself some time to get used to being on two wheels and figure out what you like before you go that route, is my advice.

Believe me I have seen how they ride theirs and there is no way I will ever ride a fixie.

I have nightmares that one of them in particular is riding around Vancouver like one of these people:
        Last edited by jojohaligo; 08-22-2012, 05:45 PM.
        Female, age 51, 5' 9"

Comment

Nice bike!

Comment

I'm looking for a new bike.

What "type" of bike is this considered to be, a hybrid? I'm mostly planning to use it for paved stuff (street, side walk), but I want to be able to go a bit off-road without breaking the bike. I assume "hybrids" are the standards, right?

Comment

Actually I don't know if it's a hybrid or not. It's a Kona Firemountain. I don't think it's a bike for a professional mountain biker, but it's good for trails and we have lots of those around here (mountains too and maybe I will try those someday). I also plan on riding it on the road and so I like the fat tires because they assure me that they will not fit in the holes of a storm drain. It's not an ultra fast bike, but it was fine to ride home!

I did "test-ride" on a bike that was less suited to trails. It was lighter and the tires were narrower, but not as narrow as a road bike, and the guy told me it would also be fine on the trails. That bike was a lot faster. Maybe it was a hybrid...?...

As you can tell, I don't know enough to help much.
              Female, age 51, 5' 9"

Comment

Originally posted by jojohaligo View Post
                Actually I don't know if it's a hybrid or not. It's a Kona Firemountain. I don't think it's a bike for a professional mountain biker, but it's good for trails and we have lots of those around here (mountains too and maybe I will try those someday). I also plan on riding it on the road and so I like the fat tires because they assure me that they will not fit in the holes of a storm drain. It's not an ultra fast bike, but it was fine to ride home!
                Your assumption is correct. Your bike is a conventional Mountain Bike design with 26 inch tires. Hybrids often have a frame quite similar to a mountain bike but usually utilize 700c tires. The Specialized Crosstrail or the Trek 7 FX series are prototypical hybrid style bikes commonly sold in America.

Comment

Yep, that's an entry level mountain bike. It should serve you well. If you plan to try the mountains spend a good amount of time on the flats first. That will toughen up your joints and ligaments. And also, if you plan to climb, keep the gears. Better pedals, like shimano clipless will also improve your experience a lot. Have fun.

Editing to add that I just noticed your location, you're in a mountain bike heaven, wow.
                  Last edited by Tercio; 08-23-2012, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Here's mine:

Dawg by johnmjoy, on Flickr

Likewise, I'm just getting back into riding this year. I bought the bike back in... 2005? Rode it only a few times before letting my health and physical condition go downhill. This spring, I brought it in to the shop for a general tuneup and new front inner tube, and the guys there said they've never seen a Dawg of that vintage in such great shape. Pretty embarrasing, actually. (Paleo/primal since February, so now I take it out almost every weekend.)

Comment

Originally posted by Tercio View Post
                      Yep, that's an entry level mountain bike. It should serve you well. If you plan to try the mountains spend a good amount of time on the flats first. That will toughen up your joints and ligaments. And also, if you plan to climb, keep the gears. Better pedals, like shimano clipless will also improve your experience a lot. Have fun.

Editing to add that I just noticed your location, you're in a mountain bike heaven, wow.
                      I know! I live just 20 minutes drive from my house to the parking lot at Mount Washington, never mind all the other trails around. Then there is the kayaking, the sailing, hiking, skiing, golfing, (most of those sports I don't do, but it's all here for when I get to to that point, except golf, I don't really care about golf) the food - the amazing food... an artisan yogurt maker is opening up shop this week using local grass fed milk... I'm hoping it won't be too expensive...

Mount Washington Alpine Resort - Bike Park
                      Female, age 51, 5' 9"

Comment

Welcome to biking! We just got our bikes on Saturday! My last serious bike riding was 30 years ago, and I am loving it.

We got hybrid bikes, since we plan to mostly ride in urban areas, on paved roads, and on groomed trails. Here's my husband on his bike:

024.jpg

Comment

Hybrids generally don't have "suspension" like yours does in the front. I'd love to experience a mountain bike on the shitty roads around here, I feel like I am breaking my rims every time I go over a bump.

I've had mine for over 10 yrs now, just a bit of rust on the handle bars and plenty of road dust.
                          Depression Lies

Comment

Here's mine after a 7-mile ride to the Boston Public Garden this past weekend! I've had this beast for over a year but where I used to live, it was too hilly to ride very far before giving up from exhaustion and frustration. Now I live somewhere flatter (there are plenty of hills though, you just have to seek them out!) I'm more willing and happy to hit the road/trail!
                            >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
                            >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
                            >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

Originally posted by RaeVynn View Post
                              Welcome to biking! We just got our bikes on Saturday! My last serious bike riding was 30 years ago, and I am loving it.

We got hybrid bikes, since we plan to mostly ride in urban areas, on paved roads, and on groomed trails. Here's my husband on his bike:

[ATTACH]8954[/ATTACH]
                              When I was a kid and a teenager, I used to ride all over the place (over in Ontario). I'm sure it helped keep me in shape. I used to enjoy it so much, I am looking forward to having fun on it again.

@namelesswonder yes, mine has suspension - see if someone will let you borrow one perhaps...
                              Female, age 51, 5' 9"

Comment

Working...
                              X