Theoretical Physics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theoretical Physics

Are there any people here who are well studied in the area of physics? I'm looking for inspiration and any confirmation/rejection you might offer from hearing me out. I lack the formal education, but I've worked on stuff by myself. I have a concept for a unified field theory with some math describing it but no testable and falsifiable elements yet.

So, anybody? Buehler? Show some interest, and I will show you what I've done so far.

By all means shoot me a PM. I am not a theoretical physicist by any means, but I am a mechanical engineer and I can definitely point out any basic errors or misconceptions, and I'm no slouch at advanced math either. Be happy to read your thoughts.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

PM sent. Anyone else? I could open it up on this thread too.

Comment

I'd be interested. I'm a civil engr and dabble in theoretical physics; my husband is an electrical engineer and actively studies theoretical phys. By all means, open it up or PM me.
        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
        My Latest Journal

Comment

I can't contribute, but I think it's hot!
          Female, age 51, 5' 9"
          SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
          2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

Don't worry about theoretical physics, man. That shit is a joke. It's a bunch of out-of-touch, spaced-out "scientists" jerking each other off with whatever crazy idea they had pop into their mind that morning while on the shitter.

Yea, it sounds big and tough, but believe me that's all it is, it's a big joke.

Stick with your physics and math basics, your fundamentals if you want to fuck with physics. There is plenty there for 100 lifetimes.

Comment

Alright, well I think I will just let you dive right into it. The first link is to a document, and the next four are notes that offer a little help with visuals and maybe an extra tidbit or two not mentioned on the document.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1O...G9Jc0pkclFMQzQ
              https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1O...2tSRzhfNlV5Q00
              https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1O...DZtS294anRsV2M
              https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1O...25tTTRHLVlCRmc
              https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1O...DdFNkJxYU52Vm8

Comment

Originally posted by The Return of Dado View Post
                Don't worry about theoretical physics, man. That shit is a joke. It's a bunch of out-of-touch, spaced-out "scientists" jerking each other off with whatever crazy idea they had pop into their mind that morning while on the shitter.

Stick with your physics and math basics, your fundamentals if you want to fuck with physics. There is plenty there for 100 lifetimes.
                Einstein was right though. His relativity was called out of touch at the time, but it became a key idea to our understanding of physics. Without breakthroughs in the theoretical realm, the experimental realm will never advance past its current stage.

Comment

Originally posted by jojohaligo View Post
                  I can't contribute, but I think it's hot!
                  Even without a mohawk?

Comment

No curiosity and plenty of big talk from someone who's never looked at it.
                    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                    My Latest Journal

Comment

Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
                      No curiosity and plenty of big talk from someone who's never looked at it.
                      What happened, you watched a TED talk on YouTube this morning?

Comment

Originally posted by wiltondeportes View Post
                        Even without a mohawk?
                        ... still sexy.
                        Female, age 51, 5' 9"
                        SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
                        2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

What happened, you watched a TED talk on YouTube this morning?
                          I repeat, I study this stuff as a hobby. I think I'll stop arguing with a fool now, before you drag me down to your level and beat me with experience.
                          My Latest Journal

Comment

Have you considered talking to an actual theoretical physicist? I wonder if you could drop in to office hours or call up and make an appointment. At the university where I work there's an institute of theoretical physics and they have events for the public and a lot of other things, including a phone number. I'm wondering if maybe there's a chance that there's a physics department near you that has a professor willing to have a chat.
                            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I'm definitely interested in this! I've bookmarked the links you've shared and plan on making it my lunchtime reading.

I'm no physicist but I've always been good at physics (I tutored it for a while), have a Mechanical Engineering degree, and am currently an engineer. This stuff is always interesting to me!

Have you read "Quantum Enigma" by Fred Kuttner? I haven't yet, but friends of mine have said it's a fantastic read and I think it can address some of the observer issues that I saw mentioned in the links you provided as I quickly scanned through them before bookmarking them.
                              >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
                              >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
                              >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

Working...
                              X