Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cold sore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cold sore

    So after weeks of slipping in sweetened grains and a solid weekend of not sleeping more than a few hours, I've managed to bust out an enormous cold sore on my lip... My body is rebelling---I know the path I must go back to following. I remember the last time I had one I had binged on sugary chocolate covered popcorn. Anyone else get these---or not since going/staying primal?
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

  • #2
    I've never been prone but in researching lemon balm I've read that it's supposed to be excellent for them. Not sure about drinking the tea but putting some oil or a lip balm with it is supposed to be good.
    Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

    Comment


    • #3
      I haven't gotten any since going primal, used to get one or two a year.

      What I would try
      -dab tea tree oil on it a few times a day
      -Take a Lysine supplement to speed up the healing/eat foods with Lysine (easy when you eat Primal) Lysine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      -Keep it slathered in coconut oil between tea tree oil treatments so it doesn't dry out.
      -Don't touch!
      Depression Lies

      Comment


      • #4
        Fair warning, this'll hurt like hell. Make a paste of sea salt and coconut oil, apply to the cold sore. When it stops hurting/ you can't take it anymore/ you need to go somewhere, flake off the salt and reapply more coconut oil. Do at least 3 times a day, preferably more.
        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
        My Latest Journal

        Comment


        • #5
          coconut oil - re-apply constantly. I keep a little tub at my desk....although I haven't had to in about a year...hmm

          forward.
          pbj
          my info:

          If you can't tell the truth about yourself, you can't tell it about other people --- Virginia Woolf

          My journal

          Comment


          • #6
            will try the salt, I think! Also used some crushed up aspirin. Anyone ever use DMSO? My grandmother swore by it, for other ailments---but it did make her stinky. I've been keeping it lathered up---looks tons better than this morning when I woke.
            Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
            http://thewoodsygal.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by solstice View Post
              So after weeks of slipping in sweetened grains and a solid weekend of not sleeping more than a few hours, I've managed to bust out an enormous cold sore on my lip... My body is rebelling---I know the path I must go back to following. I remember the last time I had one I had binged on sugary chocolate covered popcorn. Anyone else get these---or not since going/staying primal?
              I get them. I've been getting fewer since I went primal, but I do still occasionally get one. It's usually when I've been stressed out or biting my lips (which I do unconsciously when I'm stressed -- grrr). I don't like taking pills, but in this case I do. I have a prescription for Valtrex (which I HATE having to go fill, I always feel like the pharmacist thinks I have an STD!!) and take 3 pills when I feel one coming on. A lot of times this is good enough to head it off nearly completely, or at least keep it down to just one little bubble.

              Comment


              • #8
                I used to date someone who got them and he swore by this stuff called H Balm. I think it does include some tea tree oil and some other oils as well, oregano or something (?). Anyway he said it made what would have been a 10 day eruption into gone in 2-3 days.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I get them every now and again, but I used to get them much more often. Nowadays I definitely notice that I only get them after a few days of not eating anything green. My mom gets them (big ones that basically go across her whole mouth, I feel so bad for her!) whenever she gets stressed out. So the day before I move, she gets one.

                  I have always used Abreva whenever I get a cold sore (anybody else call it a "fever blister"?). It knocks them out quick. I will have to look into the different methods mentioned here.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by KimInGA View Post
                    I get them. I've been getting fewer since I went primal, but I do still occasionally get one. It's usually when I've been stressed out or biting my lips (which I do unconsciously when I'm stressed -- grrr). I don't like taking pills, but in this case I do. I have a prescription for Valtrex (which I HATE having to go fill, I always feel like the pharmacist thinks I have an STD!!) and take 3 pills when I feel one coming on. A lot of times this is good enough to head it off nearly completely, or at least keep it down to just one little bubble.
                    I hate to burst your bubble but, you do have an STD. A cold sore is caused by the HSV virus also known as herpes.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Well...technically, perhaps no. It's commonly an STD that appears on the genitals, but if it's not sexually transmitted, is it an STD? Just nit-picking

                      Stress will do it for ya. Used to get them a lot more in college. I eat a lot of chicken now and I guess that has a lot of Lysine, which helps, somehow.
                      Depression Lies

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I think I ate half a chicken tonight...I want to medicate with food!
                        Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
                        http://thewoodsygal.com/

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          There are two types of the herpes virus, HSV1 & HSV2 . Type 1 is cold sores, type 2 is below the belt but either one can transmit to either end of the body (You all are old enough to figure out how)

                          The reason HSV1 sufferers like to say theirs is not an STD is because it is perfectly possible for a baby to get it from great aunt Agnes who had a coldsore kissing their face. HSV2 you actually have to have sex to get.
                          Last edited by Paleobird; 08-22-2012, 03:57 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            "HSV2 you actually have to have sex to get. "
                            Not if you define sex the way Bill Clinton does :-)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                              it is perfectly possible for a baby to get it from great aunt Agnes who had a coldsore kissing their face.
                              Aunt Aggie! You ol' hoe-bag!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X