Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are people so concerned with weight-loss?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are people so concerned with weight-loss?

Hi! I've been reading the thread for a while, and it seems like there's a lot of people out there so concerned about weight-loss that they're restricting what they're eating to insane levels. It actually kind of reminds me of how people think when they're anorexic, controlling their intake to the point that food isn't enjoyable and getting extremely down on themselves when they aren't seeing results.

If living Primally emphasizes chilling out about eating and life in general, why are people so concerned with losing when they seem to be at a perfectly healthy weight? If your body is fighting you and you're forced to eat like you're anorexic to attain your goals, is it really healthy to expect to look like Mark? Is a lower body fat % always healthy?

Thanks!

CW and modern consumerism

Comment

I see what you are saying. It's true that some people take it too far and obsess about it to the point of being unhealthy.

I -where I started at 183- was fat and hence my concern with losing weight, but I am also content to lose it slowly and enjoy food along the way. For example, today I enjoyed beef bacon, 5 eggs with butter, two beef patties with cheddar, a primal nut bar, and I have yet to eat a grilled rib eye with asparagus for dinner.
      Female, age 51, 5' 9"
      SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
      2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

... beef bacon??!? A combination of the two very best foods? What have I been missing?

Your attitude towards weight-loss seems healthy and sustainable, jojohaligo! That's the vibe I got from reading the book, that this was a slow process, not a crash-diet. Eventually, your body will find a state of homeostasis where you reach a healthy weight and maintain it. As long as you listen to your body, you should become healthy, right? Plus weight doesn't even mean all that much, there's so many better markers of health!

Comment

I am losing weight quickly so I can stop losing weight. It may seem like I am being obsessive over calorie counting and all that, but what I'm really focusing on is food quality and keeping cravings under control. I am near the point where body composition will be far more important than overall weight, and I'll be glad to stop with the calorie restriction at that point.
          I wish I liked to eat liver.

Comment

I don't *need* to lose any weight, but my weight certainly fluctuates and there are times when I realize I need to rein myself in. I still look/feel fine, but I just start noticing that a lot of my pants don't fit, the bras are getting kind of tight, and I notice that my performance at the gym gets worse, specifically when it comes to bodyweight stuff. Even 5 lbs makes a difference at pull-ups! I know my limit when it comes to how low of a weight I can maintain without going crazy and/or having skin hanging off of me. The second I hit 136 lbs, I stall and my body just refuses to lose any more weight even if I'm sticking to the diet 100%. I'm about 140 in my avatar and that's generally my average weight if I'm 80/20.

Comment

I was pretty obsessed initially with weight loss - I started doing low carb on my own, then found this site and changed my focus to whole, high quality foods. I was already on a weight training protocol so eating healthy has led to some body recomposition I am happy with. Somewhere along the way, I stopped caring about the scale and trying to be "thin" - I like having more energy and strength. I'm healthy, happy, eating good food and am in good shape - it's a nice place to be.

I would honestly feel differently if I were heavier though or without muscle tone and would focus more on weight loss. It can be hard to read some posters being so hard on themselves and restrictive. Food is a pleasurable thing for me - I've lost that pleasure in the past by hyper-focusing on calorie counting but am not willing to go down that path anymore.

Comment

At 179.4 and only 5'4", I have weight to lose to get to a healthy weight. But my goal isn't what's considered a healthy BMI even, because with a 34H chest and lots of muscle, that's just not realistic. I have lost 15lbs, but that's taken me nearly 7 months. I figure losing slowly (a) gives my skin time to keep up and (b) makes it more likely to stay off. I've now lost the weight I gained during 2 pregnancies and am on to what I gained trying to get pregnant.

Comment

Because in general, people are assholes to fat people. It pretty much sucks to carry around excess fat and have people assume you shovel in the McDonalds and treat you with disrespect.

I keep a pretty tight rein on calories to lose fat. However, I still enjoy my food, just less of it.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                  Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Oh, I guess I should have read further... but I imagine that any type of "diet" or way of eating attracts people with eating disorders that are probably somewhat obsessive so enjoy participating in an online community.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

That's exactly why I have to take breaks from this forum sometime -- or at least skip over the threads which are focused on weight loss obsession.

Yes, I'd like to be thinner. And yes, I'm technically obese. But when I shift my focus to quality foods, getting stronger and not weighing myself, I'm simply a happier person. The slow weight loss is a pleasant side effect. I had my DH unhide the scale recently just so I could see where I was so there was no shock for an upcoming doc appointment. I had to have him hide it a couple of days ago because I got so obsessive and preoccupied by the numbers. I started setting up goals of getting to X weight by a certain time. It started taking over my life. Screw that. Strive for primal excellence (not perfection), keep learning from others and make adjustments. And live your freaking life!

Comment

Originally posted by Sars View Post
                        If living Primally emphasizes chilling out about eating and life in general, why are people so concerned with losing when they seem to be at a perfectly healthy weight?
                        As a lardarse, losing weight is a prime motivator for me at present. Once I've achieved the look I want and am fit & healthy, then I will eat more to maintain peak health.

The way I see it, I have a long term goal, and that is to be the longest serving police pensioner the world has ever seen. To achieve my goal I need to have all my faculties and health until I peg out. There are ways and means that research is showing to be longevity beneficial. One is calorie restriction on its own, then there's intermittent fasting to achieve calorie restriction, next we have the types of foods that are best for living longer and of course there are others. But, what about mental health? There is evidence to show that people who do things for others are happier and live longer. My last job made me happy and I would almost have done it without pay due to my pension. I believe that happiness must be a link in the chain leading to long life. We must make a conscious decision to be happy. I understand that things can go wrong, but, how we react to circumstances determines how happy we are. If one looks upon every challenge as a bind then unhappiness is sure to be nearby. If we look upon challenges as just something that happens to everybody and make the best of circumstances we are much more likely to remain happy.

I chose to be happy no matter what. Five months ago I also chose to be healthy too. I did not need a doctor to tell me I was a fat b@st@rd, I could see it in the mirror. I looked around for the means to lose weight and feel good. I have found both with what I'll call Primal Light eating and HIT exercise & strength training. I eat foods that I like, including "medicinal" dark chocolate every day, take a glass of wine or a single malt when I want and keep exercise (apart from walking a couple of miles to get shopping nearly every day) down to about 15 minutes a week. I have a great family life and sleep very well. I volunteer to help young people be the best they can be.

In the words of a character in a TV comedy:- "I'm smug."

Coo, that was a bit longer than I intended.
                        Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                          Because in general, people are assholes to fat people. It pretty much sucks to carry around excess fat and have people assume you shovel in the McDonalds and treat you with disrespect.

I keep a pretty tight rein on calories to lose fat. However, I still enjoy my food, just less of it.
                          until you said it, i dont think i thought about it.

If people STILL ( after say 1989) believe that fat people eat too much, how are we as a society still there.

it WAS true that fast food made you fat, but now everyone eats at least 2 fast food meals a day, and YES everyone is basically fat and unhealthy, but they are all choosing it.

I was at the zoo last weekend, it was pathetic how uniformly unhealthy everyone was.

I tend to lump zoos and amusement parks all together. so the last time i fit in a roller coaster i was 21. back then every girl my age was hot and every guy could beat me up.

now when i see that age group, there is no way i would fear any male or lust after any of those females.

the thin look dead and the non thin are obviously sick and dying.

why cant we see that for what it is?

we are all being killed.

it used to be that i was the outcast outlier, now women my age look at me and get wet. ME ME what the hell does that say about society when I am the most healthy male in the room..... sad times
                          Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
                          Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
                          Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sars View Post
                            Hi! I've been reading the thread for a while, and it seems like there's a lot of people out there so concerned about weight-loss that they're restricting what they're eating to insane levels. It actually kind of reminds me of how people think when they're anorexic, controlling their intake to the point that food isn't enjoyable and getting extremely down on themselves when they aren't seeing results.

If living Primally emphasizes chilling out about eating and life in general, why are people so concerned with losing when they seem to be at a perfectly healthy weight? If your body is fighting you and you're forced to eat like you're anorexic to attain your goals, is it really healthy to expect to look like Mark? Is a lower body fat % always healthy?

Thanks!
                            Diet forums attract the anorexics. They never stay long. Many of rest of us are metabolically damaged and need to lose weight or we've lost the weight but want to lose a little more because we didn't quite reach our goal.
                            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I think it's LGN rather than weight loss. Weight loss is pointless without fat loss and muscle building. One of the promises of this site that you *can* LGN. So, it attracts folks with that goal. Unfortunately, LGN is a hard, hard, hard goal for many people, even if their weight is fine according to CW. Body re-composition is what requires a lot of tweaking and letting go of the little pleasures. Basically, every day one makes a choice, what makes him or her happier: reflection in the mirror or food (quantity, quality). If mirror is what ultimately makes you happy, you can't eat away your feelings by chilling with bacon.
                              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Working...
                              X