Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are people so concerned with weight-loss?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
    Don't *need*? No you really don't. In your avatar you look like, pretty perfect
    Thanks! I carry my extra weight in my lower body, though. Never been cellulite-free!

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by EyeOfRound View Post
      Thanks! I carry my extra weight in my lower body, though. Never been cellulite-free!
      Well, we all know thick legs look much better than skinny legs
      well then

      Comment


      • #33
        Eat when you're hungry, exercise when you feel like it, and be happy!
        Do you, and how do you look? If I got that piece of an advice from some athletic goddess I would likely get very angry.

        Well, we all know thick legs look much better than skinny legs
        Let's agree to disagree. I'd do anything (except apparently shutting my trap) to get slender legs.
        Last edited by Leida; 08-16-2012, 10:20 AM.
        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Sars View Post
          I love this!

          Heh, my original question was more about healthy people losing weight for the sake of losing weight. This has morphed into quite a different beast! I like it.

          I think fat people staying fat usually has two causes:
          1) Trying to get healthy, but not really knowing how (Ex: my mom who has been on and off weight-watchers for her whole adult life, wondering why weight-loss derived from eating packing peanuts and sawdust isn't sustainable)
          2) Being afraid of failure. Setting goals is a very scary thing and change is hard.

          As for LGN, it seems like such a shifting standard. If you're 100 lbs overweight, your LGN zone looks different than if you're 10 lbs away from this arbitrary goal you set yourself. LGN is more of a state of mind than a state of body. We're often too hard on ourselves, setting goals because other people tell us how we ought to be. Eat when you're hungry, exercise when you feel like it, and be happy!
          This. I may have only lost 15 pounds in a year, but I'm so much stronger and confident. And will keep moving in that direction in my own space and time. My DH came home while I was doing a HIIT workout and his jaw about his the floor when his still technically obese wife was cranking out squat jumps like there was no tomorrow. He found it totally sexy. And when he thinks I LGN, I feel like I LGN.

          Comment


          • #35
            I'll bite.

            I'm a guy whose always been interested in being ripped. Like, not just in decent shape ripped... but ripped like people's heads turn and notice thinking "damn.... THAT guy is shredded"

            I've felt this way long before discovering these forums - but I'm still glad i did for health's sake. Maybe it curbed my borderline obsession a bit too, which might be good.

            Here's the deal: My motivation to achieve this look is not maximum health: It's honestly about aesthetics and social acknowledgement mostly. Also, there's a satisfying feeling of control that comes with it.... having complete mastery over your body. This kind of discipline gives me pride in that I can accomplish this when most others can't. It's the same motivation that makes the fire burn within elite athletes or rich professionals. They want to be better than the rest.

            Now, if it were true that sporting single digit body fat had all kinds of negative health effects, I'd reconsider. Though, from what I can tell, there's no inherent health advantage of having 7% body fat over 12-15%, all else the same. Fortunately, getting lean generally coincides with making healthy lifestyle changes such as exercising, eating cleanly, and not over eating, the latter of which is a much under looked factor in health in my opinion.

            But yea... I'm vain. I'll admit it - hunter gatherers didn't have blood work, they had eyes. People who look fit are favored, and there's no denying that. I've even noticed subtle social differences fully clothed when I dropped from 12% BF to single digit BF... people notice in my neck and face and compliment me.

            I fully realize that this desire can go too far, but I'm most interested in living long and enjoying life... if this interfered with that I'd definitely change my priorities

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Leida View Post
              Do you, and how do you look? If I got that piece of an advice from some athletic goddess I would likely get very angry.



              Let's agree to disagree. I'd do anything (except apparently shutting my trap) to get slender legs.
              http://www.skinnyvscurvy.com/wp-cont...attle-time.jpg

              Which one do you think looks better?
              well then

              Comment


              • #37
                Here's the deal: My motivation to achieve this look is not maximum health: It's honestly about aesthetics and social acknowledgement mostly. Also, there's a satisfying feeling of control that comes with it.... having complete mastery over your body. This kind of discipline gives me pride in that I can accomplish this when most others can't. It's the same motivation that makes the fire burn within elite athletes or rich professionals. They want to be better than the rest.
                This.

                Also, I want to add that for me my not being able to lose fat signifies that I still love food more than I love myself. Now I feel I cannot blame the lack of knowledge, wrong approaches, and I do not expect my body to morph into someone else's body. It's pure and simple.
                My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Which one do you think looks better?
                  Left, no question. Pretty much my dream legs! No overhang!!!!
                  My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                  When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Leida View Post
                    Left, no question. Pretty much my dream legs! No overhang!!!!
                    so weird.
                    ad astra per aspera

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by primal pete View Post
                      I'll bite.

                      I'm a guy whose always been interested in being ripped. Like, not just in decent shape ripped... but ripped like people's heads turn and notice thinking "damn.... THAT guy is shredded"

                      I've felt this way long before discovering these forums - but I'm still glad i did for health's sake. Maybe it curbed my borderline obsession a bit too, which might be good.

                      Here's the deal: My motivation to achieve this look is not maximum health: It's honestly about aesthetics and social acknowledgement mostly. Also, there's a satisfying feeling of control that comes with it.... having complete mastery over your body. This kind of discipline gives me pride in that I can accomplish this when most others can't. It's the same motivation that makes the fire burn within elite athletes or rich professionals. They want to be better than the rest.

                      Now, if it were true that sporting single digit body fat had all kinds of negative health effects, I'd reconsider. Though, from what I can tell, there's no inherent health advantage of having 7% body fat over 12-15%, all else the same. Fortunately, getting lean generally coincides with making healthy lifestyle changes such as exercising, eating cleanly, and not over eating, the latter of which is a much under looked factor in health in my opinion.
                      I'm the same way --


                      I really liked this part:

                      But yea... I'm vain. I'll admit it - hunter gatherers didn't have blood work, they had eyes. People who look fit are favored, and there's no denying that. I've even noticed subtle social differences fully clothed when I dropped from 12% BF to single digit BF... people notice in my neck and face and compliment me.
                      ad astra per aspera

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Leida View Post
                        Left, no question. Pretty much my dream legs! No overhang!!!!
                        Are you sure you actually like those better or is it actually that you like to accomplish something and that the left would feel like "bigger accomplishment"

                        Because honestly I don't get howyou can lije the left better than the right. But each to their own I guess
                        well then

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          As a fat person working very hard to get healthy, I agree with the OP. SEEMINGLY, healthy (read looks like they are thin) people do work hard to lose that 5 lbs (or whatever % of fat), using very low calorie diets (VLCD), does seem a bit overboard to me.

                          I am on a VLCD, and when I am not, I eat strict Paleo. Doing this I have lost 106 lbs in the last 6 months, reduced my high blood pressure and the amount of LDL's that were clogging my arteries. I have also gained a understanding of food, through research. There is also an emotional component that comes along with being fat. Except for a few misguided "disability" recipients, no one WANTS to be fat.

                          Food has it's place, it is there to keep us functioning and alive. What I have learned is that food is not a friend. Food doesn't bring comfort. Food is what it is, food. I treat food like what it is, my addiction. The down side of that is that I can't just stop eating (I've tried that, it doesn't work).

                          I am closing in on my goal weight of 185, which is still going to be "fat" to some, and too "thin" to others. At that weight, I can walk into a CrossFit gym, and just be an out of shape person, not a fatty who can't control herself.

                          I understand the reasoning around being angry at fat people. I do it too. Walking into the grocery and seeing some 400 lb woman riding around in a scooter shopping cart with her "healthy" whole wheat bread, her WW frozen dinners, bottles of Diet Coke, and a bunch of 100 calorie Snack Packs. I just want to shake her (or even him) and scream at them! But, we must all choose. It took me 44 years to realize that I am killing myself and digging my grave with a fork.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Are you sure you actually like those better or is it actually that you like to accomplish something and that the left would feel like "bigger accomplishment"

                            Because honestly I don't get howyou can lije the left better than the right. But each to their own I guess
                            Here is my reasons why I love the ones on the left:

                            -they look streamlined, light, slender, flashy, wonderful!
                            -You can sit any way you want with the legs on the left, and still look slender and beautiful, while with the ones on the right you gotta watch frontal exposure, because the fat will drop down and spread around you like so much dough in a cellophane bag. Gods forbids you sit at a glass-top table! You always have to sit sideways.
                            -the ones on the right jiggle and flop and wrinkle when you walk, even if quad is very developed
                            -they rub and sweat when you sit between the thighs and worse things (not for a guy to know)
                            -when you are in a bathing suit, the legs on the right are bound to sport a bulge on the upper thigh that makes the owner overall appear fatter than the girls on the left; if the gal on the right gains a touch of weight, the buldge will also appear above her knee
                            -the legs on the right will be dimpled in cellulite up top
                            -the legs on the right will show veins in that extra fat padding
                            -the legs on the right will never fit correctly in any pants or skirt - they will always fit incorrect for waist-hip ratio
                            -the owner of the legs on the right will never look lithe
                            -unless implementing very odd dietary regimen, any loss of weight will result in thighs staying very much the same, while the upper body melts, creating a very unbalanced look

                            The legs on the rights are a curse as far as I am concerned.
                            Last edited by Leida; 08-16-2012, 11:51 AM.
                            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                            When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
                              Which one do you think looks better?
                              My legs currently look very similar to the ones on the right, if not a tad thinner. I can honestly say that I like the legs in the picture on the left better though.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Leida View Post
                                Left, no question. Pretty much my dream legs! No overhang!!!!
                                Seriously? The legs on the left are saggy and knobbly and look like they belong to an anorexic person. The legs on the right are athletic, strong and firm, and look so lusciously ripe they want to burst right out of those tiny shorts and spill their sexy all over the place.

                                Originally posted by Leida View Post
                                Here is my reasons why I love the ones on the left:

                                -they look streamlined, light, slender, flashy, wonderful!
                                -You can sit any way you want with the legs on the left, and still look slender and beautiful, while with the ones on the right you gotta watch frontal exposure, because the fat will drop down and spread around you like so much dough in a cellophane bag. Gods forbids you sit at a glass-top table! You always have to sit sideways.
                                -the ones on the right jiggle and flop and wrinkle when you walk, even if quad is very developed
                                -they rub and sweat when you sit between the thighs and worse things (not for a guy to know)
                                -when you are in a bathing suit, the legs on the right are bound to sport a bulge on the upper thigh that makes the owner overall appear fatter than the girls on the left; if the gal on the right gains a touch of weight, the buldge will also appear above her knee
                                -the legs on the right will be dimpled in cellulite up top
                                -the legs on the right will show veins in that extra fat padding
                                -the legs on the right will never fit correctly in any pants or skirt - they will always fit incorrect for waist-hip ratio
                                -the owner of the legs on the right will never look lithe
                                -unless implementing very odd dietary regimen, any loss of weight will result in thighs staying very much the same, while the upper body melts, creating a very unbalanced look

                                The legs on the rights are a curse as far as I am concerned.
                                Wow. You think the legs on right are FAT!?!?! Are you freaking kidding me? This whole post just screams body dysmorphia to me. Those legs are lean (for a woman), well-developed and sexy as shit, and I would very much like to see the rest of the woman they belong to. The legs on the left look like they belong to a gawky teenage girl.

                                If you legitimately want to look like a waif because it will make you happiest, whatever, but if you want to look like that because you think it's sexy (as in, "makes men want to have sex with you"), then you are barking up the wrong tree for 99% of the men you will encounter!
                                Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

                                My Primal Journal

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X