Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are people so concerned with weight-loss?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for images of what women might look like in a more "natural" state. I can't say for sure how accurate any of these images are, some are old and some are newer and being able to see what they look like kind of makes you have to search for people in hot climates who don't wear very much clothing, but they certainly don't look like what I see on the cover of Shape magazine.

Blue Cloud Abbey Native American Photograph Collection

Cassiciare riverbank - a photo on Flickriver

Resource use > Yanomami

Mudimba tribe woman on wedding day - Angola | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Yahoo! Grupos
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• Yes, but the Native Americains of that period are all but devastated by booze, smoke and disease, and the displacement from the traditional lands. The cultures with bloated stomachs are a result of systematic starvation and malnutrition. While we have a lifestyle disadvantage, we do have a nutritional advantage despite the problem of cheap low quality processed foods. I think it is actually folks who eat poorly who would look more like those malnourished tribes, only larger since they have access to >> foods..... I am still going with the Greeks as the best example of a civilization that had a nutritional variety & limited but sufficient food supply & low sugar intake.
      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

• From what I've seen of what they ate, the ancient Greeks did not fear fruit.
        “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• Let's not pretend pot-bellies are a sign of health. Yes, wild humans often look like that when they are hosting swarms of writhing worms. You're going to have some trouble convincing me to add tapeworms to my body to achieve a natural body composition. Yes, parasites lower cholesterol - and that's bad anyway. Moderately lean with a little fat for warmth and energy makes perfect sense.
          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• Originally posted by Issabeau View Post
            From a female perspective....if I guy is TOO thin, has muscle and NO fat ANYWHERE, no padding, and completely lean, he would not be able to survive hard times in the wild.
            If I was male, I think I would feel the same about girls. I would not want to have some skinny chick with NO fat deposits tagging along with me through the wild trying to survive. She'd quickly exhaust her muscles including the heart and then have nothing to fall back on.

Most primitive people (the ones that aren't starving in the desert) have healthy padding around the body. It's funny how Hollywood killed most peoples natural instincts about what health should look like.
            And girls that run? Well non of them have tits and most don't even get their periods anymore.
            I blame the magazines...
            Some of you people have weird f-up view of the world. Seriously.

Look, I said fat, not ''slightly overweight''. The ex-wife was 5''2, 125lbs, in a very good shape, could do pull-ups or hike super long or do pretty much any activity, yet still sported enough body fat to have 34C-34D boobs. I couldn't have asked for a hotter girl. I don't care about Hollywood or whatever magazines stupid girls brainwash themselves with. When I say fat, you're the one who assumes that the opposite is anorexic/starving/disgusting model. Not fat to me encompasses a whole range of body shapes and levels of fitness.

I simply said that if a girl is fat, I know right away her lifestyle doesn't fit with mine. It doesn't mean I'll automatically jump on a girl who isn't fat, because she could be stupid/a junkie/batshit insane/vegan/whatever funny reason I can find to dislike her for. It's just a fast and easy way to screen for my preferences, and since people's IQ isn't written on their forehead, I start by screening with body shape.

Comment

• From what I've seen of what they ate, the ancient Greeks did not fear fruit.
              As far as I know, they had very little sugar in their diet. Olives, grapes and iirc figues, and pretty frugal at that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Winterbike View Post
                ...since people's IQ isn't written on their forehead, I start by screening with body shape.
                I love it.

Truth; the fact that the USDA food pyramid told you to eat 5 servings of grains has never been an acceptable excuse for why someone is overweight... It's as if Paleo/Primal somehow introduces people to the notion of critical thinking at the same time.
                ad astra per aspera

Comment

• I basically get into size 12 and up the moment I start cresting 130 lbs;
                  How the hell are you built? I'm 185 and a size 12.....5'6. Granted I carry a lot of muscle in my butt and thighs.

Weight and size is just crazy. I'd expect that if I weighed 130, I'd be a 2.... and that seriously, it would never actually happen.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                  Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

• At 130 I could probably wear a size 4. The smallest size I own is size 6 and I used to wear these size 6s before I lost the weight, when I weighed 160+lbs. I just have to wear a belt now and I don't have to stretch them out when they come out of the drier. I find it hard to believe that anybody can just wake up 3 lbs heavier or whatever and suddenly wear a size 12 when 30lbs of weight loss doesn't make me unable to wear the same exact clothes I used to wear.
                    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leida View Post
                      Don't worry, if you are all that, but trying hard to be fit, eat well and gods forbid tell the truth, the same people will tell you that you are obsessive, anorexic and should gain weight so men can like you.

Yeah, good screaming folks, I like and want the legs on the left. I told the truth and told you why. I understand that in your opinion I should express gratitude for your flurry of judgment, insinuations and home-spun psycho-analysis. I am not expressing this gratitude. Neither I experience humbleness, humiliation, a moment of sudden healing and immediate acceptance that my views of a healthy &fit female body are inferior to some other posters'. I know better what's good and right for me. I also do not require a universal or personal approval from anyone to assess my self-worth.
                      This is very fair criticism and I apologize because I think I in particular was being an ass to you. Sorry.
                      Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                        The opposite here. Runners in NW Washington all look disgusting. Mostly bones, sunken eyes, floppy necks from all the muscle wasting. Gray skin - they largely look like zombies.
                        I wonder how much of this is due to the fact that running in FL gets you a lot of vitamin D from all the sun, whereas in the Pacific NW you don't get much.
                        Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

• Uncephalized, no hard feelings, everyone gets carried away. Me included.

@Magnolia, sbhikes, you must be much more muscular than I am. I dunno if that is because I swam competitively till I was 12, or just fat-on-bone body type. Who the heck knows.

Yep, most people think I look fragile at my weight, but yeah, at 150 lbs I was size 14-16, and at 125 lbs I am about size 6-8, and it takes 118-120 lbs for me to get into Size 4. Size 2 is virtually impossible for me, & I don't think my skeleton would fit into Size 0. That's from waist down. Waist up, I am a 34B, so can do size 2-4 up to 130 almost.
                          Last edited by Leida; 08-22-2012, 02:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
                            How the hell are you built? I'm 185 and a size 12.....5'6. Granted I carry a lot of muscle in my butt and thighs.

Weight and size is just crazy. I'd expect that if I weighed 130, I'd be a 2.... and that seriously, it would never actually happen.
                            Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                            At 130 I could probably wear a size 4. The smallest size I own is size 6 and I used to wear these size 6s before I lost the weight, when I weighed 160+lbs. I just have to wear a belt now and I don't have to stretch them out when they come out of the drier. I find it hard to believe that anybody can just wake up 3 lbs heavier or whatever and suddenly wear a size 12 when 30lbs of weight loss doesn't make me unable to wear the same exact clothes I used to wear.
                            Right now, I'm 5'6" and about 160 pounds. Back in CW days, I looked just right at 140, but when I eat this way, I look the same at 145. It's weird.

I was 125 back in high school and went up to 130 when I started playing sports, but I see picture of that now and I look like a tweaker. No thanks.

But no matter how lean I get, I will always wear a size large blouse, and I'm only a B cup, so it ain't that. It's just frame size. Bones is bones.
                            Durp.

Comment

• I get to size zero, no fat and looking as unhealthy as one can be. I can go from size zero to size six/eight overnight, depending of what I drink/eat, fluid load is something unbelievably unnerving. If I get a bad month and my hormones get crazy because of stress or some extra sugar or the sort I even get fluid to accumulate in my lungs. I find this to be really annoying and would like to know if anyone else has this swings.

Luce
                              No limits, only my will and the worlds I build.

Comment

• Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post

i'm 130ish and a UK size 12 as per the table on this page:
                                Clothing sizes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

some clothes i'm a size 4. it really depends on the brand.
                                my primal journal:
                                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X