What is going on with my head?!?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is going on with my head?!?!

This is off-topic. But I would love to get any feedback people may have.

Lately, I have been finding myself more prone to freaking out. My whole life I have been known as the calm one. I almost never lose my cool and have been in some pretty intense situations.

In particular, I have never been overly panicked about health issues. This is a good thing, since I have rheumatoid arthritis and have been on major immune-suppressing drugs for many years now.

However, lately I have been more worried about things. For example, yesterday I ate some raw oysters. They were from Whole Foods and shucked in front of me. They came from a local northern california oyster farm. Anyway, after I finished them I realized it was probably not a good idea to eat them. I looked it up, and yes, immunosuppressed people should avoid raw foods - in particular oysters. It really bothered me. The more I read, the more I freaked out. I finally called my doctor who said not to worry and only to come in if I got fever, chills, etc. But I can't let it go. I had a little loose stool today (probably from eating too many nuts) and have checked my temp 50 times and about lost it when it was as high as 99.1. I know that is not a big deal, but can't let go of the anxiety.

What happened to my zen'ness? Why am I freaking out over a low likelihood event? I am stressing more over work and life too.

Why?!?!? I miss being centered and happy.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

I'd have thought that people have been eating raw oysters for a very long time. And it didn't seem to worry your doctor.

I don't think it's a matter of you're interested in food and diet, so you make too much of it. Interest in something doesn't have to raise anxiety. And you also say "I am stressing more over work and life too".

Maybe it's driven by something at a biological level -- perhaps the stricter form of the diet has resulted in your not getting all the nutrients you need for your brain to be happy. That's just a thought -- I don't know.

Perhaps meditation and/or some form of biofeedback would help. You're getting enough sleep and in the dark?

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
      I'd have thought that people have been eating raw oysters for a very long time. And it didn't seem to worry your doctor.

I don't think it's a matter of you're interested in food and diet, so you make too much of it. Interest in something doesn't have to raise anxiety. And you also say "I am stressing more over work and life too".

Maybe it's driven by something at a biological level -- perhaps the stricter form of the diet has resulted in your not getting all the nutrients you need for your brain to be happy. That's just a thought -- I don't know.

Perhaps meditation and/or some form of biofeedback would help. You're getting enough sleep and in the dark?
      Now that you mention it, my sleep has been messed up too. I have been falling asleep very late and due to a family illness, I've been getting woken much earlier than usual. That could be part of it.

Also, I have been really slacking on the use of magnesium oil and have not been taking my D3 lately. Hmmm....perhaps there are some easier to address things that I haven't tried.

I'm going to use some magnesium oil now.

Thank you for the excellent suggestions.
      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

Comment

Panic and anxiety are no fun at all. And losing sleep only exacerbates them. If the natural stuff doesn't work, sometimes just a 15 day Rx of something gentle to break the pattern of no sleep really helps.

I hope things get better for you.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
          Now that you mention it, my sleep has been messed up too. I have been falling asleep very late and due to a family illness, I've been getting woken much earlier than usual. That could be part of it.

Also, I have been really slacking on the use of magnesium oil and have not been taking my D3 lately. Hmmm....perhaps there are some easier to address things that I haven't tried.
          life stresses often manifest health-wise in ways you don't always connect. it's like having your finger in the dam, but the hole is growing bigger and drops seep out anyway.

over the years, i have had to do some serious brain-reorganizing about how i stress. the stuff i can control? like my eating and activity? dial it in, and it will run itself. instead i would obsess on it and have little bandwidth for stuff more out of my control and that stuff could easily go to shit.

get back on your supps, take a walk outside on your lunch break and do some sleep improvement things, like powering down everything 2 hours before bed and being in utter darkness.

hope life gets easier soon.
          Last edited by noodletoy; 08-13-2012, 07:09 AM.
          As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

whenever i act "funny" (to myself) I look at diet first, then stressors, then old shit.

while one can reframe most anything, i have found that to be less helpful than a handful of cashews and a rare ribeye.

what has changed in your diet? maybe you need to put it back?

Low DHEA, Vitamin D, O3 are all things that can contribute to anxiety attacks
            Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
            Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
            Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

I hope you feel better soon jammies, anxiety takes over everything. I agree with concentrating on getting back into a good sleep routine and taking extra care of yourself xx

Comment

One of the reasons I like going "primal" is that I'm always much more calm. I attribute it to not having sugars in my system. I think sugar makes people hyper.

Comment

Well, I mean, some oysters from northern cal were just recalled due to harboring bacteria. It was all over our paper yesterday that Drakes Bay Oysters did a voluntary recall. So maybe you subconsciously saw that headline on a paper somewhere and that's what's really worrying you?

Comment

hope you feel better soon! I too was going to suggest getting your vit D tested, and maybe even b12? And cortisol?
                    And as mentioned, sleep is very important. I too have had issues with anxiety (i was the calm person in my family too - but alas i have low vit D)...anyway I started the paleo diet for just a month now (eating those ribeyes, as well as being diligent with my multivitamins on a daily basis and making sure i sleep for at least 8hrs/nite) and am slowing but surely feeling better.

Comment

I freaked out one time when I ate yucca root/cassava, and then read about how poisonous it was and all the reasons it should never be eaten. And I'd eaten the whole thing, skin and all! I thought I would be dying soon, and just kind of wondered if I should throw up, etc. Then I remembered the best way to survive poisoning is often to stay so calm that the poison can't work.

Anyway, I did die - so I guess it's okay to freak out. Being dead sucks. I keep wondering if it's okay to eat things, and then I realize it doesn't matter, I might as well live on rocks and dog poop because I already died.
                      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by palebluedots View Post
                        Well, I mean, some oysters from northern cal were just recalled due to harboring bacteria. It was all over our paper yesterday that Drakes Bay Oysters did a voluntary recall. So maybe you subconsciously saw that headline on a paper somewhere and that's what's really worrying you?
                        Yes - I am sure this didn't help matters at all! I did call whole foods and they said their oysters were tested and fine. Plus, the really nasty infection that kills people is predominantly found in gulf coast oysters.

So logically, I know I likely fine. I am better today (took magnesium and vitamin D3 last night and today). But still feel somewhat anxious and off.

Comment

I also added two new supplements recently. L-carnitine and alpha-lipoic acid. They were a great help with muscle weakness and fatigue, but gave me a very dry mouth and some anxiety. I cut them way back to just once per week or so. Maybe coupled with the lack of magnesium I set myself up for some trouble?

Comment

I am a life-long anxiety sufferer . . .and have found that some good old-fashioned (new-fashioned) talk therapy is really helpful. I am completely serious when I say that I think everyone should have a therapist - you cannot beat 50 minutes of talking about yourself with no expectation that you ask about the other person, seem selfish for blathering on about you, you, you, etc. - it has really helped. I started going when there were 3 deaths in my family in the span of about 60 days, my job sucked but I couldn't seem to get myself out of it and into a new one, and my then-boyfriend (now husband) was laid off and also in bad shape emotionally. I've learned a lot of ways to re-direct my thoughts when I get anxious, and also have just benefited from being able to get it all out. Feel better!

Comment

[QUOTE=jammies;927208]
                              In particular, I have never been overly panicked about health issues. This is a good thing, since I have rheumatoid arthritis and have been on major immune-suppressing drugs for many years now.

QUOTE]

This is a shot in the dark, but have you checked the side effects of the medicine you're taking? After a while the side effects that have never been an issue before, just might display themselves.

Or, maybe, with extra stressors happening in your life, you are discovering your own mortality. I too was going through that, friends and loved ones dying of this and that (and me being HUGELY overweight), brought my life into focus, and prompted me to change.

Instead of the voices telling you you are going to die, make the voices tell you that a few oysters aren't going to kill you. You ARE still alive!

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X