Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for former vegetarians

Hey guys, so I was just wondering
    You know how when you eat grains after a long while without them, you feel like shit?
    Is it because grains are just bad for us, or is it because we're just not used to it again -

When you eat meat after a long while of not eating it, did you feel any bad side effects?
    Were you needed an adjusting period?
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Keeping in mind that I do not have a particularly sensitive digestive system and I have always been able to eat just about anything without any issue....

I was vegetarian for probably about 8 years (late childhood through mid teenage years) and when I went back to eating meat I just went straight back to eating it. I still didn't eat a lot of it regularly because my parents were both vegetarian at the time so I didn't eat it at home but I could down a hamburger at a restaurant with no trouble at all. So the meat never gave me trouble.

On the other hand when I ended my first bout of primal eating I tore into a shit ton of food that contained grains (it was thanksgiving and my dad makes awesome rolls and there was some other stuff too) and other than feeling too full because I ate 3 times as much food as I usually do I was fine.

About the only thing I notice about grains is that when I eat them I fart a bit and the farts actually stink. But its not a big issue in terms of discomfort or anything. Just the occasional fart.

So I would say that like everything diet related it really depends on each individual and how you react to different foods.
    Last edited by Noctiluca; 08-12-2012, 08:55 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

I went raw vegan for 3 month stretches(as long as I could hold out). I always had indigestion issues with eating animal proteins(including eggs). It's because your stomach stops producing the type of acid used to digest meat/animal foods. Rotten egg burps are gross, but my body always started right back up after that. I don't ever remember having indigestion at the 2nd meat/animal meal.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilleh View Post
        Hey guys, so I was just wondering
        You know how when you eat grains after a long while without them, you feel like shit?
        Is it because grains are just bad for us, or is it because we're just not used to it again -

When you eat meat after a long while of not eating it, did you feel any bad side effects?
        Were you needed an adjusting period?
        When I ended a 10 year stint as a fish-eating vegetarian the only adjustment period was mental. My first meat was steak and it was delicious. It took a while before I could eat hamburger or chicken. I could eat steak right away. It was all mental.
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I haven't had trouble with meat. At all. However, my husband can't seem to eat it. He eats fish and bacon.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
          Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

I went from vegetarian to macrobiotic which was vegan in it's East Coast iteration. When I started back on goat whey (in India) from the family goat, I felt much better/stronger/happier. Then onto pastured eggs, then fresh caught fish, & it was love @ 1st bite! No issues, other than feeling great regaining weight I had lost, & having tons more energy...

And so I would say, make sure the source(s) are top quality, pure & fresh.

I'm a qualitarian omnivore, grains are about the only things I'm not eating. Unlike when I was a veg, I eat beans only sometimes lately, but I really do enjoy them whenever I do. Vegetarianism/veganism was ok a little while, to clean me out. It was disastrous long term.
            "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
            "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
            "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Comment

I have been vegan for most of the last 12 years, raw vegan for a year of that. I had absolutely NO digestive troubles going back to eggs and meat. And I haven't gone back to dairy and do not plan to, so I can't speak for that. I can say that after doing a year as a raw vegan, and then briefly trying to go back to being a normal vegan, I found that I can no longer tolerate beans at all. Which worked out pretty well, because that ultimately led me to find primal, and now I feel a zillion times better. But no, eating meat after 12 years, the only thing I felt was very full and satisfied.

Comment

I didn't feel any side effects when I started eating meat again.

I did with dairy, though. So, I stick to butter and use it sparingly.

Comment

nope! the only time an animal food caused me upset was once when i was at a buffet and had some pho soup broth. I thought it was vegetarian, as the sign indicated, but I learned that the signs had been switched. i noticed this after i had had 2 bowls. the second i knew, my stomach started hurting and i felt like vomiting. but there were plenty of times that i had ingested animal products and not known, and i was always fine then. my first bite of meat after making the switch mentally, i felt AMAZING

Comment

I was raw vegan and I introduced fish back first with no issues. Had some digestive issues with chicken/turkey but none with beef. Oh and eggs made me very sick at first too.
                    “There is immeasurably more left inside than what comes out in words…”
                    — Fyodor Dostoevsky

Comment

I was a vegetarian for two years, and no, I didn't feel sick.
                      I started out with a small piece of steak. I had to re-program that texture into my brain, like if you used to play guitar, left it alone for a while, and pick it up again. Once you pick it up, you start picking with your fingers in all the familiar ways.
                      But I've never liked the smell of raw meat, or cooking meat, and that was much more difficult to deal with.
                      My Primal Journal:
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65788.html

16 years old
                      5'5"
                      SW: 170
                      CW: 162
                      GW: 140

Primal since 8/12/12.

Comment

I can only say that I had health (daily migraines) and digestive issues while vegan (eating high carb, lots of grains, legumes, etc) and immediately started feeling better when I reincorporated animal proteins. Major relief, no more digestive issues and extremely rare migraines now on Primal.

Comment

Working...
                        X