No announcement yet.

Newbie Grokkster needs advice :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not so much that someone NEEDS more carbs to sleep, but sometimes when blood sugar falls too low during sleep, it wakes a person up. Then they have trouble getting back to sleep. Also, carbs help raise serotonin and serotonin helps people sleep. I think you can take 5-htp as a supplement before bed to help with that.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Fireling View Post
      Have you tried other methods of getting to sleep? For example, turning down the lights when it starts to get dark outside, avoiding computer screens etc. etc. You may need to find a way to increase your melatonin production which should offset any benefits you get from carbs helping you sleep (it seems to me that if you NEED more carbs to sleep, there's something wrong?!).
      Yes, I tried the turning things off and slowing down 2hr before bed. And it did nothing for me. I'm pretty sure that not being able to sleep when doing very low carb is not unique to me. I have read on other forums where many people run in to the same issue. The only thing that seems to help is raising the carbs. And I'm not talking about a ridiculous amount of carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
        It's not so much that someone NEEDS more carbs to sleep, but sometimes when blood sugar falls too low during sleep, it wakes a person up. Then they have trouble getting back to sleep. Also, carbs help raise serotonin and serotonin helps people sleep. I think you can take 5-htp as a supplement before bed to help with that.
        5-HTP gives me a headache :/

Comment

Working...
        X