No announcement yet.

The Etymology of Hate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have parrots and have spent most of my life learning about bird behavior. Birds basically have only two words in their vocabulary. Me and Mine. I think people are pretty much the same.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
      Crap. I bred with a jerk and now I have a nice guy, but no more breeding for either of us.

I raised the kids right. Does that count?
      Let's put it this way... My dad was a jerk and my brother and I were raised right. He became an ass all on his own and I'm an ever so slightly too violent individual who gets away with it because I'm clever.
      In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
        Wolf packs have an "omega" member (or members) that the other wolves pick on. There is speculation that this brings the rest of the pack together by giving them a common goal.

Personally, I'd rather be more evolved than a wolf, but it would explain the pack mentality of children and teenagers. After the human brain is fully developed, it seems pathetic that anyone would hate someone because they were told to hate them.

You've got to be taught
        To hate and fear,
        You've got to be taught
        From year to year,
        It's got to be drummed
        In your dear little ear
        You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught to be afraid
        Of people whose eyes are oddly made,
        And people whose skin is a diff'rent shade,
        You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught before it's too late,
        Before you are six or seven or eight,
        To hate all the people your relatives hate,
        You've got to be carefully taught!
        just thinking about this song ~ from the movie South Pacific~ it has more power when sung, I think.

Last edited by Nady; 08-06-2012, 07:05 PM.

Comment

You guys are over analizing. People compete for resources. The excuse given for wars is everything from religion to whatever. Once population get high enough to strain resource availability competition for those resources set up conflict. Y
          Hawaii, for example,was settled by the same people who began to war with each other once the population got large enough.
          Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputina View Post
            Children used to study Latin, not just the language, but the classic stories, the philosophers, and the history of the Western world (and beyond). I think young people need to go back to this.

...because when they did, it made such a difference?
            Female, age 51, 5' 9"
            SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
            2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

Originally posted by jojohaligo View Post
              ...because when they did, it made such a difference?
              Good point, we're totally fucked. Are you well-versed in philosophy?

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputina View Post
                (So "etymology is perhaps a bad term, but maybe what the word means can shed light on it's origin and social evolution), Why is there so much hate and violence in the world? A tired question, to be sure, but one worth continually seeking answers to, as we have never evolved past brutal violence and hate. Sociology points to the tendency for an "in-group" to assert dominance over an "out group," and the "out-group" revolts against the pressure and ostracism of the "in-group." It's an endless cycle of chest-beating, dominance, assertions of power, demands for recognition.

Some scholars think, it starts with OWNERSHIP and PRIVILEGE. It began with a notion that we own a certain land, a certain god, certain properties. It evolved with the notion that our kin, biologically linked, or socially linked, also owns and has distinct privilege of a certain material wealth. The idea begins, since everyone has this idea of privilege and ownership, that everyone else wants what "belongs to you." You must defend "it". THEY must defend "it." They are the out-group, you are the in-group. You are the in-group, they are the out-group.

What, would happen to us, as a race, without corporeal bodies? Without material possessions? Would our disembodied, intellectual forces find new ways of classification, dominance, terror, and discrimination? Is our species flawed to the spiritual core, or is it the physical manifestation of difference that gives shape to our hatred? What do you think? Can we evolve past hate, or is it tied intrinsically with physical being?

P.S. I don't have the answer, but it pains me.
                Tribe dynamics are what our psychology evolved to have. Tribes have to do various things in the wild that promote their continued survival. That means erratic violence to show the others you are not afraid to fight (wimps always eventually get picked on), but they don't fight so much that they wipe each other out. They also act randomly (not necessarily with reason) so that the others may not predict it coming. Lastly, the fear of being different (race, religion, etc) I believe goes back to an innate team building element in the brain as well as recognizing outsiders of the tribe. Outsiders are naturally treated with caution due to the aforementioned violence.

Violence will go away as soon as we stop being human.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Good View Post
                  We are jerks because women like jerks. A few generations of breeding with the nice guys is all it will take to shift the genes, ladies.
                  LOL no way...

Comment

Working...
                  X