What's your 20?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your 20?

Just trying to get an overview of what folks consider 80/20.
    I eat 80/20, so one meal out of 5 is non-primal.
    9.52%
    I eat 80/20, so a fifth of my calories are non-primal.
    11.90%
    I eat mostly popcorn and fudgie cakes, so my 80/20 is actually 20/80
    4.76%
    My life is 80/20; I've got about 8 out of the 10 rules down but struggle with a couple.
    21.43%
    I'm a fanatic, baby!
    21.43%
    Other. I'd like to hear. Thanx!
    30.95%
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

I mostly reject 80/20. I eat potatoes, corn, peanut butter, and other marginal stuff whenever I feel like it, and I refuse to call it 20. But I'm probably about 90%.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Comment

I'm about 98/2. The 2 is for stuff out of my control that is not worth stressing about like the canola oil in the salad dressing at a friend's dinner party, never for deliberate "cheats".

Does that make me a fanatic? I don't think so because I enjoy this way of eating and don't feel deprived one bit.

Comment

I usually try to eat 100% but in certain occasions when I'm offered food that has grains then I take it. I have no sensitivity to it per se but I draw the line with dairy or anything really rich. Actually I drink coffee but i put lactose free milk and sugar. No way I would ever try drinking my starbucks coffee black.

Comment

Originally posted by Hedonist2 View Post
          I mostly reject 80/20. I eat potatoes, corn, peanut butter, and other marginal stuff whenever I feel like it, and I refuse to call it 20. But I'm probably about 90%.
          Hey thats me!

If I had to conform to such a stupid rule, I'd say eating any food I don't make myself would make up the 20%, regardless of how close to primal or utterly non-primal it is.
          Sandra
          *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Dark chocolate, nuts, cream and butter are my 20%. I'm not sure where that places me so I picked the 'fanatic' option
            Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
            5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
            Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
            TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
            bloodorchid is always right

Comment

If you consider dairy and nuts 100%, then my 20 percent is pizza once a month and the sugar in dark chocolate and homemade ice cream. If you take the percentages literally (so many percent of my calories is non primal) then I'd be 98/2
              Last edited by Gadsie; 08-02-2012, 03:16 AM.
              well then

Comment

The question betrays a profound misunderstanding of Mark's 80/20 principle. Reread the book
                Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Yeah, what peril said. I have no 20. I'm not a fanatic. Eat what you want, just don't bitch about not making progress or feeling shitty. You brought it on yourself.
                  5' 9" 47 YO F
                  PB start June 2, 2012
                  Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)
                  Current deadlift 245 lbs, squat 165 lbs, bench press 135 lbs

PB Journal

Comment

I voted other, mostly because I haven't really kept track in terms of a percentage. I eat what I want, which fortunately, since I've started has been meat, veggies, and fruit. Sometimes, if I find myself in a place where options are limited, I'll do the best I can with what is offered. But honestly, I'm finding most of the stuff I used to eat is just gross now. For instance, my husband still occasionally gets a pizza for our kids. I had some one night because I was exhausted from a long day. I felt sick afterwards, and will likely not do that again!

If there's anything that I consider a treat for me and not part of my regular daily menu, it'd be whole milk cappuccinos. They are my weakness...

Comment

80/20. Big bowl of popcorn once a week, and when people share what they think are goodies out of the goodness of their heart (homemade cookies, part of their birthday cake, etc) I accept it gratefully without bitching.

Comment

I have been eating mostly whole unprocessed foods for a long time before I went Primal, but always liked popcorn, ate it at least 3-4 times a week. In the last few months I decided to ditch the popcorn for a while and see how it goes, and at first I really missed it. Now if I try to eat it, I end up with indigestion for the whole night, so now no more popcorn. Proves to me that you just don't realize how much grains are affecting you until you get off of them for a while.

Also the popcorn seemed to keep me mindlessly snacking, since breaking myself of the habit, I can sit and watch TV or a movie without continually munching on something.

Comment

I think Peril's point is that the 80/20 is not about how closely you adhere to the diet or the % of your diet comprised by cheats. The 20% applies to all the laws of primal - sleep, move slow, play, lift heavy things. Primal isn't about following 80% of an eating plan. (Not saying I am 100%, I just think that is his point).

Comment

Right, and I put that option in the poll.

But from reading the forums, there is a lot of emphasis on what we eat. I just was hoping to see what the community as a whole was thinking.

Paleobird, that mirrors my experience. A snack of a carb rich food doesn't even call my name if I adhere to what I think are fairly simple food guidelines. I don't feel deprived at all.
                            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by June68 View Post
                              Yeah, what peril said. I have no 20. I'm not a fanatic. Eat what you want, just don't bitch about not making progress or feeling shitty. You brought it on yourself.
                              That's the way I look at it, I've re-introduced potatoes and have the odd beer.

Comment

Working...
                              X