No announcement yet.

The California treatment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

as a bostonian, i shall politely ignore all the hatah's and reply to the op:

working in restaurants here all my life, californians as tourists seem compelled to announce their state of residency within seconds of meeting me. i don't really give a rat's ass where you are from and, no you don't get some social medal for living there.

i've been through much of the state many times. parts are achingly gorgeous, but there is plenty of strip-mall-junk-visual blight too. it's not all wine and roses and i don't feel envy friends who do live there.

I lived in Australia for a couple of years and can tell you the reception is much warmer to Californians there than to Americans.
    did california secede and i missed the memo?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by Tercio View Post
      Having spent much time driving around the U.S. with both California and Louisiana plates and license I swear there is a difference in the way random people treat you. This goes against the Californian. And from Socal I'm not prejudiced against anyone, except maybe them damn water stealing, non-bathing, hippy norteños.

Tercio
      Hey wait a minute how are we stealing water if we don't bathe? BTW I haven't showered yet and I just got back from riding my bike to the grocery store, don't want to waste water when I'm about to sprint in the woods and then if it's hot enough jump in the creek.
      Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

[QUOTE=jennf;918951]They don't call them "Massholes" for nothing!QUOTE]

count me in for hating chowderheads too. i spent 4 years of my life living amongst those animals. i've been all over the place, and by far and away, bostonians are the trashiest, most obnoxious pieces of garbage on the planet. until i moved there, i always thought people were kidding when they referred to them as "massholes." boy was i wrong

Comment

[QUOTE=not on the rug;919292]
          Originally posted by jennf View Post
          They don't call them "Massholes" for nothing!QUOTE]

count me in for hating chowderheads too. i spent 4 years of my life living amongst those animals. i've been all over the place, and by far and away, bostonians are the trashiest, most obnoxious pieces of garbage on the planet. until i moved there, i always thought people were kidding when they referred to them as "massholes." boy was i wrong
          oh, for heaven's sake.

were you here for college and just picking fights with townies?

As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I was asked for my license plate number and that is how they found out I was from California. Other times people just come right out and ask. I think just looking at me they suspect it for some reason. Perhaps it's my skin. Women in other states have much better complexions than Californians who tend to be sun damaged.
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
              I was asked for my license plate number and that is how they found out I was from California. Other times people just come right out and ask. I think just looking at me they suspect it for some reason. Perhaps it's my skin. Women in other states have much better complexions than Californians who tend to be sun damaged.
              Like this?

Yes... I've seen this type skin with my own yes on an older lady in our community...
              For all I know it could be this lady!
              The skin sort of hung...

Weird admission... it looked like incredibly soft, thin, leather and I kind of wanted to touch her just so see... LOL
              I did not do that. I just thought it.
              “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
              ~Friedrich Nietzsche
              And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Being from Miami, there's quite a few stereotypes and hardly any positive. No one realizes its possible to be white, non Hispanic and live in Miami. As for Californians, I've met some good ones and some crazy liberal, out spoken, gun fearing, loud mouth vegans so....I think it depends! Lol no need to discriminate though.

Comment

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                  Like this?

Yes... I've seen this type skin with my own yes on an older lady in our community...
                  For all I know it could be this lady!
                  The skin sort of hung...

Weird admission... it looked like incredibly soft, thin, leather and I kind of wanted to touch her just so see... LOL
                  I did not do that. I just thought it.
                  Ha ha, no that's Las Vegas skin.

I've always been mesmerized by the beautiful peaches and cream complexion of people from say North Dakota. My partner lived in Buffalo for 15 years and he said when he moved to California he had a really hard time figuring out how old people were. In Buffalo the older you were the bigger your waistline. In California, I guess it's how wrinkly your skin is.
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

This was funny. I was raise in san Diego, del mar, when we used to say there's no life east of I5. In that there were no lights!!!!
                    My dad still lives there and grumbles nonstop about the traffic.

We have been in Kansas 10.5 years. The thing they said about me was I talked so FAST. Zoom. Later we all joked about what is going on this week about the fruits and nuts. So glad I live in middle America now. Unfortunately I do miss the ocean, but won't pay the mental/physical cost to do it every day.

But charging more for stuff? That really sounded weird to me unless your business is all separate,y negotiated deals. Otherwise, you should be paying less any time you come to mid west.

PS. Missouri drivers suck big time. Worse than that, Nebraska.
                    Julia
                    Starting Weight 235 - Dec 1, 2010
                    Started Primal Mid January 2011
                    Current Weight 183
                    Goal 160

Get Outside Already!

http://moderndayfitandfood.wordpress.com/
                    http://moderndaydesigns.wordpress.com/

Comment

Mainers hate everyone; especially Massholes. It's a state tradition.

But on a serious note, it doesn't matter where you're from. If you're not an asshat, and don't act like you own the place, we'll generally be nice to you.
                      "It’s not about how strong you are, it’s how well you can move with that strength."

Comment

[QUOTE=noodletoy;919304]
                        Originally posted by not on the rug View Post

oh, for heaven's sake.

were you here for college and just picking fights with townies?

actually no. this was a few years after college. and i don't pick fights with anyone. i did make quite a few good friends while living up there, but for the most part, i have no use for bostonians. the funny thing is, most of actual good people i met up there (native bostonians) hate the people as much as/more than i do. i've heard many bostonians describe boston as a "beautiful city ruined by awful people." facts is facts...

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post

facts is facts...
                          nope, that's merely your isolated and subjective opinion.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
                            nope, that's merely your isolated and subjective opinion.
                            Subjective, yes. Most definitely. Isolated, no. The average attitude of the average bostonian on the street is the worst i've encountered anywhere in the country. Very rude, cold and distant. Angry at the world. Worse than new york. Worse than LA. Worse than chicago. There is juat a general bad feeling in that city and the whole metro area. And i know a ton of people who agree. People from all over the country. Hell, on of my best buddies bleeds boston: loves the sox, has pats season tix, never misses a bruins or celts game. But he HATES living there because of the people. Unfortunately for him, his wife won't leave. So he is stuck.

Sorry if it offends you. Maybe you dont see it. But boston people kinda suck. Maybe you're just one of the good ones.

Comment

I really don't understand the "worse than NY" comment... I assume you mean NYC, but after all the awful things I heard about it for many years... I LOVE NY.
                              During my trips I found people there (Manhattan, Bronx, and Brooklyn) to b mostly kind, courteous, helpful... and just plain NICE. That includes some seriously rich Manhattan folks, as well as the not so well off in some of the Bronx and Brooklyn communities. Really.
                              *shrug*

I my trips I have met maybe a handful of rude people in NYC... every time it was in the airport(worker) or a subway worker.

I met more rude people in almost any city you can name in the South East... even just passing through. So much for 'southern hospitality', and I'm from the South.
                              Last edited by cori93437; 08-02-2012, 07:24 PM.
                              “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                              ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                              And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

A long time ago, someone did a "study," putting a woman, child, man (each alone) in different parts of the country looking and acting lost. They wanted to see where people were the most helpful. NYers were actually much higher on the list than folks might expect.

When I went back after almost 25 years away, I found NYers to be very friendly. But when they're in a hurry, respect that and don't jaw on about Aunt Nert and Uncle Snert.

But I like all different kinds of folks. Mostly. Except for... Okay, maybe not mostly. Some folks. Nah. Everybody sucks.
                                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Working...
                                X