Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! Primal is making me LOOK bigger!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • HELP! Primal is making me LOOK bigger!

    So, I’ve been going Primal for three weeks; so far I've lost two-three pounds. I’m a female, 5’7 and 194 lbs. I actually look bigger than when I started!!! I keep well under a hundred carbs a day; many days just fifty-ish. I sneak a few "no-no" bites every now and then, but still....I feel so discouraged!!! I hear of people losing all this weight and I can't figure out what I am doing wrong? I walk almost every day for 30 minutes, and do some cardio throughout the week. Sometimes I just count cleaning out the closets a good days work out since I’m lifting boxes and bending over lot.
    Maybe my body is just “adjusting” to this new lifestyle and so it bloats me out. Any ideas and/or similar stories would be much appreciated!

  • #2
    I'd say it's bloat. When you drastically change your major food source your gut flora has to change as well. This often causes bloat, break outs, etc. Try drinking some fennel tea, even better if it has anise in it, as they help flush you out. Celery also has a mild diuretic so if you like that snack on some.
    Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thank you! I'll do that and see if it helps! Hoping its just my body getting used to this change.

      Comment


      • #4
        Track your eating for a while and see where your fat calories are going. It's easy to forget that fat is extremely caloric, and can compound very quickly.
        “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

        Comment


        • #5
          I'd say wait a little bit longer; everyone is different so your body's reaction to being primal may react differently than someone else's. I don't think that three weeks is a long enough time period to start doing measurements and start comparing how you looked before to how you look now. Just do what Chaohinon said and track your eating. Personally I kept clear of scales and mirrors while in the beginning state of being primal because I had that sort of mentality of always thinking I was bigger than I was. I can only suggest that you do the same. True results come in time. Becoming healthy is not something to be rushed, but something to strive towards.

          Comment


          • #6
            Thank you! I have to say, I think you're right! Mirrors and scales are like monsters lol. Thanks for the encouragement!

            Comment


            • #7
              Okay! I'll do that!

              Comment


              • #8
                Yeah, what I want to write about bloating would equal TMI.... so, um, yeah, from my experience, it took me three tries to go Primal (before I even knew what Primal was). And believe me I stuck with it. A month + of bloating before caving and eating crap each time. What I found was that for me it was yeast die-off. (google it and see if it fits for you.)

                Perhaps you need to ease into primal slower, give your gut-microflora time to change, for the yeast and other bad guys to slowly die off. Otherwise, start taking/eating tons of probiotics, sauerkraut, plain kefir, un-pasteurized sugar-free yogurts, etc. to help fight the bad micro-flora.

                Good luck either way!

                Edit: Once I was finally over the die-off symptoms from cutting out sugar or sugar like things, the only time I bloat now is when I eat wheat. (I'm allergic to gluten.) So there is hope.
                Last edited by lissee; 08-02-2012, 05:21 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Probiotics can also cause some bloating, as you basically start a germ war in your gut. It does pass, though indeed you may want to go slow. I finally found a good source of raw kefir and (goat's) milk so I've been hitting that a bit hard. I was pretty bloaty at first but now it's mainly gut rumbling.
                  Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Blackcatbone View Post
                    Probiotics can also cause some bloating, as you basically start a germ war in your gut. It does pass, though indeed you may want to go slow. I finally found a good source of raw kefir and (goat's) milk so I've been hitting that a bit hard. I was pretty bloaty at first but now it's mainly gut rumbling.
                    I agree. But I'd diverge from your advice to go slow. I make kimchi, many different kinds, sauerkraut, pickles of all sorts. I save the left over ferment water/juice to use as quick starter for new batches. BUT I also drink the juice. It's different every batch & it's a super concentrated, easily assimilable probiotic drink w/ garlic, chilli, onions, cabbage juices in it. I'd suggest UPPING the probiotics, not decreasing or slowing the process. Sure, it may continue to bloat you while the war is waged. But once it's passed the point where the good guys are winning, it'll be smoother sailing. That's just my philosophy, get to the goal zone sooner, by putting up with some discomfort in the beginning. Either that, or do go slower, but realize that you may just prolong suffering, albeit at a slower pace & lower intensity. Either way, the advice on here is sound: stick it out, it'll all be ok, it's all in process via primal eating/living. Have faith, & try to be happy with your decision & commmitment, even though results are not matching expectations thus far. The body will heal, its just takes some time. The pace is somewhat up to you, but some of it is just nature at its own pace & is not mutable. But drinking as well as eating the at-home ferments with every meal, it is pretty powerful stuff, haha...
                    Last edited by Betorq; 08-02-2012, 06:12 AM.
                    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
                    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
                    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Is it hard to make fermented veg? what do you pickle?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Quarry View Post
                        Is it hard to make fermented veg? what do you pickle?
                        Not hard at all. It just takes some prep time to clean & chop & place in jars or crocks, set jars on top of fridge or in a cupboard, inspect them every 2-3 days in case you get some mold on top. If so, just skim it off, clean around the rim, re-up w/ fresh filtered water, recap loosely, & let it keep on fermenting. mold on top won't affect what's under the water, unless you let it go on too long. I pickle/ferment everything, lol. Any veggies, as long as I use my former ferment juice as a starter(not a needful way to do it, just faster). Basically, I use thinly sliced cabbage or napa cabbage to get other veggies to ferment. Cabbage has the unique bacteria in its leaves & inner stalk, that makes it all happen. Salt, filtered water, cabbage & what ever other veggie you want or have on hand.

                        I make about 5 different kimchis, some with radishes, others typical based on napa cabbage. Some are super hot/spicy w/ extra garlic & chills, others are more mild. A traditional slow ferment of sauerkraut w/ caraway seeds(yum). I make whole jalapeno pickles, based on vinegary ones I used to eat in Mexican restaurants back in Calif. I've done tomatoes w/ onions. I did a pickled inner core, tender leafy part of collard greens with some tiny bitter gourd cut up thinly. I ferment 2-3 different spicy salsas, ez & fast. I did a ketsup that aged well & tastes great(this from picky critical eaters who like sugary ketsup, mine has 0 sugar added). Still attempting cuke pickles, messed up my recent 1st attempt, back doing more reading on what I did wrong. I make kefir & yogurt, both, w/ whole fat milk, coconut. it's fun but not hard per se. It saves me money, & they make great gifts in little mason jars. Oh, I'm pickling some king oyster mushrooms, that'll be interesting: fermenting a fungus!
                        Last edited by Betorq; 08-02-2012, 06:51 AM.
                        "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
                        "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
                        "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          If "no-no bites" include things like wheat gluten or something you are sensitive to, it can bloat you.

                          http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                          Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Betorq View Post
                            I agree. But I'd diverge from your advice to go slow. I make kimchi, many different kinds, sauerkraut, pickles of all sorts. I save the left over ferment water/juice to use as quick starter for new batches. BUT I also drink the juice. It's different every batch & it's a super concentrated, easily assimilable probiotic drink w/ garlic, chilli, onions, cabbage juices in it. I'd suggest UPPING the probiotics, not decreasing or slowing the process. Sure, it may continue to bloat you while the war is waged. But once it's passed the point where the good guys are winning, it'll be smoother sailing. That's just my philosophy, get to the goal zone sooner, by putting up with some discomfort in the beginning. Either that, or do go slower, but realize that you may just prolong suffering, albeit at a slower pace & lower intensity. Either way, the advice on here is sound: stick it out, it'll all be ok, it's all in process via primal eating/living. Have faith, & try to be happy with your decision & commmitment, even though results are not matching expectations thus far. The body will heal, its just takes some time. The pace is somewhat up to you, but some of it is just nature at its own pace & is not mutable. But drinking as well as eating the at-home ferments with every meal, it is pretty powerful stuff, haha...
                            I think it depends on the person. I'm doing pretty well with the raw kefir. I don't make my own but buy from a very trustworthy source. I can handle the gut rumbling, loose stool and bloating. I work from home so don't have to worry about a bit of discomfort. I do have to be careful though, because overdoing it can be incredibly painful when every step is like being stabbed in the gut. I also sometimes have what's known as splenic flexure syndrome where gas gets trapped in the upper bend of my intestines. Feels like someone's got a hot knife under my ribs and the only thing I can do is lay down and try to work it out. If it's just a bit of bloating and water retention no biggie, but if it gets to that point I have to pull back. I wish I could pound the probiotics but it drastically interferes with my functioning.
                            Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              It took 6 weeks before I notice a difference in my body and this was from eating Primal and being serious with the weights. Granted I only wanted to lose 15-10lbs but, every one is different and you've only just begun. People who lose significant weight are usually very very large to begin with and male.

                              Be careful with those "no no bites"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X