Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by patski View Post
    Fuck Chick-fil-A.

There's nothing compassionate, loving, or accepting in their stance on gays. So much for their so-called "Christian" values.

And fuck Exodus International too.

As someone who had the ex-gay rhetoric shoved down her throat at the age of 15, I can honestly say I know what I'm talking about.
    Yeah. That!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by noodletoy View Post
      it already exists. it's called "not getting married." my b/f and i have been doing it for 10 years. we have wills and dnr's and all that drawn up because we plan to keep doing it til the last breath.
      Just out of curiosity, what made you want to do that?

Since I'm sure you've done the research, what are the positives and negatives of it? All I can think of in favor of marriage is shared healthcare.

Comment

• I won't speak for noodletoy, but for years we didn't see the point of it at all. We were already loving and committed and some ceremony wouldn't change that and we didn't have anything to prove or validate. Eventually health insurance was our motivator to get married and the piece of paper didn't suddenly make us a real couple or anything. For each their own, but the idea of being a 'bride' fills me with horror.
        5' 9" 47 YO F
        PB start June 2, 2012
        Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)
        Current deadlift 245 lbs, squat 165 lbs, bench press 135 lbs

PB Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by wiltondeportes View Post
          Just out of curiosity, what made you want to do that?

Since I'm sure you've done the research, what are the positives and negatives of it? All I can think of in favor of marriage is shared healthcare.
          Yes, shared health care benefits is a major plus... but also some simple rights such as being in hospital rooms during critical care situations, and having a partners decisions be asked over a relatives opinion on treatment issues in non-fatal incidences where the injured party cannot speak for themselves. If no relatives are present, the hospital staff many times will not even give information to a non-married partner.
          In most places they still demand that only 'relatives' such as spouse and immediate family have access in those situations. And there are many stories out there of how cohabiting partners of many years got shoved aside and pushed out of the process when family members arrived out of the blue after years of no contact.

Having a basic medical power of attorney can remedy this, but many people are unaware of the multiple steps that they need to take to get the same results as ONE cheap 5 minute courthouse marriage/legal union accomplishes. And then the power of attorney has to be actually presented to the hospital, unlike simply being able to state "I'm the spouse".
          It is a much more costly and drawn out process to do the Will, Advanced Directive, Medical power of Attorney and whatever other provisions may be needed for an individual, for instance if a couple are also partners in a business or own property together additional power of attorney issues may need to be addressed. And over time the documents may need to be redone to address changes in situation... marriage/legal union automatically covers these things.

Another sore subject for many is the fact that non-married partners are not eligible for any retirement or death benefits. Many married people take for granted the ability to pass on their retirement pay, or a portion of it, to their spouse when they die as a means of support. It's a huge benefit denied to cohabiting partners with no legal union. The 27 year partner of NASA astronaut Sally Ride, who died recently, got no death benefits which are the norm for married partners of other NASA employees and govt employees in general.

There are other issues as well, but I think that those are the most relevant.

Honestly, even when married Will's, Advanced Directive's, and those things are still pretty important... just not critical.

I view "Marriage" as a church/religious issue and a "Legal Union" as a state issue because it entails a BOATLOAD of legal rights.
          Husband and I had a legal union outside of a church, and had it as a small non-religious ceremony for our family to attend. Because he was military(military are paid etc according to marital status), I was recently medically retired military, and I needed medical benefits. Without all of those issues we likely wouldn't have bothered jumping on the legal union wagon.
          Last edited by cori93437; 08-04-2012, 01:50 PM.
          “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
          ~Friedrich Nietzsche
          And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• June and Cori, thanks. I figured there were more legal rights.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicator View Post
              The fellow that I quoted equivocated participating in a democracy with murdering people. I take no joy in your life's difficulties, but if you, too, feel that someone who uses the political system to opposes same-sex marriage is a murderer, you too are full of shit.
              "participating in democracy" =/= erecting power structures to take down other people

If I hired my own personal army of Pinkertons whose sole purpose was to make sure you could never have any say in what happens if your loved one dies/becomes a vegetable, I would be guilty of coercion and violence. Denying rights to other people is an implicit act of violence - how else are you going to stop them if they decide to resist?
              “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Comment

• The thing that I find most ironic about the Chick Fil A thing (FWIW, I was climbing Mt. Baker on "Chick Fil A Day," so I was fortunate to not witness much of the controversy =D ) is that the overwhelming support of the franchise by the anti-gay crowd didn't really seem to start until after the debacle with the Chicago mayor not wanting to allow the company to open stores in "his" city because he disagrees with their statements.
                I've known for months that they were financially affiliated with anti-gay-marriage groups, and so have a lot of people. Just the circulation of said information probably stopped a few people from buying food there and probably motivated a few others to buy food there. It's called capitalism. Same reason quite a few people stopped buying gas at BP stations after the oil spill in 2010. I don't buy food from CFA because it's terribly unhealthy and I disagree with their views -- it's that simple.
                But the minute a political entity (in this case the mayor of a large city) tries to get involved and influence the natural process of the people of the nation voting with their dollars, then it becomes an issue.
                Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by wiltondeportes View Post
                  June and Cori, thanks. I figured there were more legal rights.
                  Yeah, but all that can be taken care of with some forethought as noodletoy eluded to.

Comment

Fuck Chick-fil-A.

There's nothing compassionate, loving, or accepting in their stance on gays. So much for their so-called "Christian" values.

As someone who had the ex-gay rhetoric shoved down her throat at the age of 15, I can honestly say I know what I'm talking about.
                    Wow ur so tough! And intellectual!

Comment

Fuck Chick-fil-A.

I appreciate your fierce opinion and support but I am fairly certain that gay marriage is allowed in Canada. Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by Primal Bill View Post
                        Wow ur so tough! And intellectual!
                        ...says the poster who can't spell "you're".

Obvious joke is obvious.
                        Steph
                        My Primal Meanderings

Comment

• Guess I don't understand the debate. Gay people are not being stopped from doing shit, just not recognized as being married. Isn't marriage a religious thing? I understand the legal implications, but like noodle pointed out and I'm sure many realize....there are ways to take care of that right?

Really it doesn't matter to me, but there are plenty of injustices in regards to personal freedoms in this country that we all turn a blind eye to. We could argue all of them, but we would just end up in another pointless thread filled with debate and no resolution.

The guy is for traditional families. So what. A lot of people are. Are gay people lobbying to get marriage passed? Is he breaking the law by doing the opposite?

Comment

• Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                            Guess I don't understand the debate. Gay people are not being stopped from doing shit, just not recognized as being married. Isn't marriage a religious thing? I understand the legal implications, but like noodle pointed out and I'm sure many realize....there are ways to take care of that right?

Really it doesn't matter to me, but there are plenty of injustices in regards to personal freedoms in this country that we all turn a blind eye to. We could argue all of them, but we would just end up in another pointless thread filled with debate and no resolution.

The guy is for traditional families. So what. A lot of people are. Are gay people lobbying to get marriage passed? Is he breaking the law by doing the opposite?
                            No, you don't understand, that's very clear. By the way, "gay people" also encompass religious people- it's not just a straight thing to be religious. Marriage is to many, a sacrament. A lesbian minister married my husband and I, in the United Church of Christ. We have the right and recognition of marriage in our state, but our minister doesn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rasputina View Post
                              No, you don't understand, that's very clear. By the way, "gay people" also encompass religious people- it's not just a straight thing to be religious. Marriage is to many, a sacrament. A lesbian minister married my husband and I, in the United Church of Christ. We have the right and recognition of marriage in our state, but our minister doesn't.
                              Good for you? Actually "gay people" kinda have to pick their religious sect don't they? Least if they wanna get married there. So get married by a gay minister and observer your sacrament without recognition by your local government.....If you are truly interested in the religious implications then state and country have no hold over you to start with.

Comment

• Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                                Good for you? Actually "gay people" kinda have to pick their religious sect don't they? Least if they wanna get married there. So get married by a gay minister and observer your sacrament without recognition by your local government.....If you are truly interested in the religious implications then state and country have no hold over you to start with.
                                I'm not sure what you mean. I'm a female, my husband is male. We were married in a Christian church, our marriage is recognized by both the state and the church. Our female minister, who is a lesbian, cannot be married in our state, yet she can legally officiate our "traditional" marriage. My point is that, this isn't fair.

Comment

Working...
                                X