Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relationship and Diet

=)
    Last edited by ozbuckley; 05-07-2013, 12:33 AM.

Originally posted by ozbuckley View Post
    Any thoughts?
    Lead by example, don't sweat the details, and stop listening to idiots on the internet who can't even manage to maintain a healthy relationship.

Oh, and check out 27 Ways to Live with Your Non-Paleo Spouse.

But seriously, as far as relationship advice goes, stop listening to me
    Argue not with idiots, lest they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Since you two have only been together a couple of months, allow her the space to eat as she wants. This is a good opportunity to practice acceptance and forgiveness. Think about all the years that you ate junk, or what you now believe is junk, and accept that she is still in that stage and may remain there for some time. I agree that leading by example is key, and I think emphasizing how happy you are with YOUR diet, rather than criticizing hers, will be more likely to nudge her in this direction than confronting her about what she eats.
      28, female, 5'2"
      Went primal 7/28/10: 154 lbs.
      1/12/12: 135 lbs.
      Goal: 120 lbs.

Comment

Stop acting like a pompous ass? Her body, her choice.
        In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

Alex, why so harsh? These are real feelings for him. I like Ayla's response.

Comment

I just thought it was funny that Alex called someone else pompous

OP- she probably hasn't made the connection. How long did it take you to make the connection? If you live together, you could offer to take over the food thing to sort of back her into Primal, but other than that, answer questions as they come up and wait for her. If you respect her intelligence, then you will respect her need to come to the conclusion on her own.
            http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

What do we call vegans when they act like this? If he can't accept her for who she is then he shouldn't be with her. Was your mom primal? Did you end up horribly deformed? If you answered yes to the second one then you should feel grateful that you can actually get a woman.
              In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
                I just thought it was funny that Alex called someone else pompous
                I was hoping nobody would call me out on that. *Sigh*... My one flaw is that I know how perfect I am.

Comment

At my house, I'm primal and I'm the cook and provider of food in the house therefore my girlfriend, her twelve old daughter, and my eleven year old son end up eating healthy primal food a lot of the time. None of them really have the slightest concern about being primal and will eat SAD any time they don't have me to cook for them. They mostly like the way my food tastes and it's my choice to make it healthy. I am not the primal enforcer. I strive to live the primal lifestyle for me and my own health and if those around me that I care about benefit too then so much the better.
                  http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

It's a lot nicer if you and your girl friend/wife are on the same page with nutrition.
                    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

It's a lot easier for the cook too. I have the pleasure of sharing my house with a vegetarian and a husband who will not eat vegetables or fish. Finding a variety of recipes which everryone will eat is a bit of a challenge!

Comment

I struggle with this a lot myself. You really have to practice the principles of Al-Anon, which is the group for the partners of alcoholics. You can't change another person. You can only live your own life and let others live theirs and find their own way.

I'm not very good at this sometimes because I get fed up with the undeserved push-back and blame I get. I really don't think serving salmon and steamed vegetables is the cause of another person's arthritis and chest pains, but I get blamed for it because once in a while I serve red meat. Nevermind the man chooses to eat red meat and also chooses to serve it sometimes. It's much easier for him to blame me when I do it once in a blue moon than take responsibility for his own choices.

However, I'm no saint because despite knowing better I sometimes will send him a link to a video or something to defend myself. I really shouldn't do it. I should just mind my own business and keep doing what makes me feel terrific, healthy and strong and hope someday he meets someone else who can change his mind so he can be the healthy, strong person he ought to be instead of the chest-pain-riddled, arthritic, sad-sack that he is now.

A friend of mine told me how his wife started attending FA (Food Addicts Anonymous) and lost 130lbs. Her depression went away. Her health improved. She felt happy and no longer squabbled with him every night. She attended these meetings (they simply give up sugar and flour) for over a year. Meanwhile my friend continued to overeat on pasta and other flour and sugar goodies all the time and continued to see his health decline, continued to feel grumpy and pick fights every night etc. It took over a year before he finally wondered if maybe his wife was on to something. Then he decided to try it and within a week his blood pressure was normal for the first time in decades, and over time his mental health improved, he stopped picking fights, they have a happier marriage now and both are thinner and happier and healthier than ever. But it took more than a year of her being patient. And I don't remember what was the ultimate catalyst for him, but it certainly wasn't her nagging him, that's for sure.
                        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

At least she's not vegetarian or vegan. I don't know how primal folks live with a SO that eats that way. I'm very fortunate in that my husband is fully on board, he saw my health improve and now is committed. I do almost all of the cooking and shopping and he appreciates the tasty food I prepare so it wasn't that hard for him to eat primal foods.

That being said preaching never works especially early on in a relationship. Just make her tasty food when you eat together, most people can be seduced/swayed by a delicious meal. Just resist the urge to ask her how she feels after she's eaten it. Might be a good idea to buy a paleo cookbook with good photos and leave it lying around so she can look at it. I suggest

Paleo Comfort Foods - Paleo Food Cookbook and Recipes
                          Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

If something irks you this much now, it will only get worse. That being said, there are three possible outcomes: you make peace with it, she changes her eating habits or you breakup.

I hate telling people what to eat. If she wants to eat that shit so be it. Not everyone is interested or believes an ancestral diet is the way to go.

Relationships are all about compromising.
                            "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Something else to consider if you two were ever to have kids together. What she eats will affect the baby.

The Skinny on Obesity (Ep. 5): Generation XL - YouTube
                              Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

Working...
                              X