Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sometimes I think Paleo is full of crazies ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sometimes I think Paleo is full of crazies ...

    I like the movement, but goodness there's some oddball stuff out there. The basic Paleo template is spot-on, but no-one can really pretend that it's only the vegans who are a bit ... err ... off-the-wall.

    Here's an example.

    I heard Robb Wolf say, in the middle of a sprawling formless monologue, on his latest podcast that weight-gain is caused by salting your food -- apparently, on the grounds that Stephan Guynet said so, and that he once knew a fat guy who ate a lot of salted peanuts. Even the co-host seemed taken aback.

    And yet Robb is often fairly sensible.

    Maybe I need to thin out my iTunes subscriptions again ...

    Anyone else got any recent craziness from the movement?

  • #2
    Pretty sure he was makin a gag.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

    Comment


    • #3
      Everyone who has been investigating paleo for over a month is suddenly a molecular biologist.
      You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

      Comment


      • #4
        I think some people take the whole thing a bit far beyond what it should be, a good way to eat. And people seem to have an overly unrealistic romantic notions of what life was actually like in the paleolithic period. The truth is we don't really know exactly what grok done, ate or how he lived, but I'm sure it wasn't as pretty as people here tend to visualize. It's important to keep an open mind and not pretend we have all the answers because nutritional science is such a diverse area open to so many different interpretations, you're not going to find all the answers by spending a few years reading blogs and studies.
        Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 07-31-2012, 12:19 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          He was talking about the food reward/hyperpalatability concept. Those theories are not something Robb or Stephan pulled out of thin air, there has been a lot of research done in that area over many years. Stephan has blogged about that quite a bit over the past years if you want to check it out. It does make sense as a factor for the obesity epidemic as an explanation of why people binge on processed food.

          Woah, first post after lurking for quite some time

          Comment


          • #6
            I think that any movement that is not mainstream attracts its fair share of neurotics and attention-seekers ...

            Comment


            • #7
              What meateater said.

              He wasn't saying that salt made you fat, but that salty foods encourage you to eat more due to their hyperpalatability.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by meateater View Post
                He was talking about the food reward/hyperpalatability concept. Those theories are not something Robb or Stephan pulled out of thin air, there has been a lot of research done in that area over many years. Stephan has blogged about that quite a bit over the past years if you want to check it out. It does make sense as a factor for the obesity epidemic as an explanation of why people binge on processed food.

                Woah, first post after lurking for quite some time
                Thanks for the clear up. I was a little "Whaaaa" when I read Lewis' comment. I really like Robb Wolf. Smart guy

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Grumpycakes View Post
                  Everyone who has been investigating paleo for over a month is suddenly a molecular biologist.
                  I much prefer molecular gastronomy.
                  “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                  ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                  And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Lots of people go a little overboard. I like the PB and all, but when I see threads on how to take a dump primally, then I roll my eyes...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I agree. Personally, I am an omnivore. I know very little about nutrition, but I do know a lot about other things. Did paleoists check how people actually looked like in paleo time?
                      Below is a lady:
                      Venus of Willendorf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                      I know it's a symbol, but something tells me that paleo men did want their women to be fertile and didn't set the weight goal (90 pounds and not a single pound more). I also doubt that paleo women had this goal (90 and no more) if a different ideal was in the air.
                      Last edited by anna5; 07-31-2012, 02:34 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by anna5 View Post
                        I agree. Personally, I am an omnivore. I know very little about nutrition, but I do know a lot about other things. Did paleoists check how people actually looked like in paleo time?
                        Below is a lady:
                        Venus of Willendorf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                        I've always wondered the same thing....wouldn't women be more likely to be on the fatter side than "naturally lean"?
                        My chocolatey Primal journey

                        Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Probably leaner side for part of the year, fatter in other seasons, due to shortage of food.
                          My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                          When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            the goal certainly would've been for chubbier women.
                            my primal journal:
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                              Anyone else got any recent craziness from the movement?
                              Not necessarily Paleo other than being on MDA, but there's enough craziness in the last 80-odd pages of the iodine thread to last a lifetime.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X